Electronic Cigarettes

AVFCDAN

Speaking as a non smoker

Just bring back smoking in certain public places and be done with it

Pubs aren't for children so any " what about the children" arguments are negated ... Alcohol and cigarettes go hand in hand and pubs are better for them ...

E-cigs sounds a bit like alcohol free lager ... I.e there is no point to it

The point is to get the nicotine fix. 

• 3 months later...

Quite an interesting thread considering I've started on these. What im finding is that working in an office its just ridiculous. Im puffing away constantly whereas I was not constantly outside having ciggarettes before I started for obv reasons. I do think it could be a pretty good substitute and can make you cut down if done correctly though.

Atm im just thinking am I taking more nicotine in from the e-cig all day than I would be smoking... Hard to judge.

i've been on the e-cigs for about 6 months now, but the battery always seems to go in the most inconvenient of places, so make sure that you always have a backup. I still have 1 or 2 real cigs a week, but they are starting to become less enjoyable and smell and taste is starting to put me off completely. Stick with it, I guarantee you will feel better in no time and I wouldn't really worry about the amount of nicotine you are taking in, just think about the amount of poisons and toxins that you aren't.......

• Like 1

Is there a way to reduce the nicotine intake with these e-cigs, to eventually quit all together? Need to get my dad on em

I use the E-Lites with prefilled tips, and they do come in different strengths.I started on the standard (red) ones and then moved down to the light (gold) ones. They don't offer an option with zero nicotine though. I'm pretty sure other manufacturers do, and you can eventually get down to ones with no nicotine at all.

• Like 1

Is there a way to reduce the nicotine intake with these e-cigs, to eventually quit all together? Need to get my dad on em

I use the E-Lites with prefilled tips, and they do come in different strengths.I started on the standard (red) ones and then moved down to the light (gold) ones. They don't offer an option with zero nicotine though. I'm pretty sure other manufacturers do, and you can eventually get down to ones with no nicotine at all.
My dad bought E-Lites like a year or two ago, but then he stopped using it. Hearing him cough regularly doesn't make me feel good so I need to get him to quit ASAP.

• 3 months later...

E-Cigs to be advertised on TV. 

Conservative Party PR Team ;)

The first UK TV advert featuring the use of an electronic cigarette - vaping - will be shown later.

While e-cigarette adverts have been on television for some time, showing the device itself was banned until a change in advertising rules which came into force overnight.

However, the Committee of Advertising Practice has ruled that adverts must not show tobacco "in a positive light".

Critics warn showing e-cigarette use could normalise the imagery of smoking.

The British government banned cigarette advertising on television in 1965.

Post-watershed

The new rules, put in place by the Committee of Advertising Practice (CAP) state that adverts must not:

be "likely to appeal particularly to people under 18, especially by reflecting or being associated with youth culture"

encourage non-smokers to use e-cigarettes

claim e-cigarettes are "safer" or "healthier" than smoking tobacco

make any health claims without approval from the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency

The new advert will be shown after the watershed and run for five weeks.

It shows a woman exhaling vapour from an e-cigarette.

Dave Levin of VIP, the company behind the advert, says: "This advert will mark the first time in almost 50 years that TV audiences see someone exhale what appears to be cigarette smoke on an advert. However, it is actually vapour from an e-cigarette that they will see.

"E-cigarettes have attracted a lot of controversy recently, which has largely been due to concerns over safety, so it will be interesting to see how people respond to our advert's debut."

Prof Martin McKee, of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, opposed the change to advertising rules.

He told the BBC: "This is a very daft idea, as many of us said during the consultation.

"A lot of questions need to be answered about e-cigarettes before adverts are even considered.

"First we need to get an agreement on whether they aid people to quit smoking or whether they become a lifestyle choice that people are going to use for 40 years - this hasn't been resolved yet.

"And there are still huge questions about their safety," Prof McKee added.

"Experts are also particularly concerned the adverts may lead to the renormalisation of images of smoking again. A number of e-cigarette companies are owned by the tobacco industry."

Serious concerns

Deborah Arnott, chief executive of health charity Ash, commented: "There is growing evidence that people are using electronic cigarettes as a way of cutting down or quitting smoking and very little evidence of people who have never smoked using them.

"Vaping is safer than smoking, but e-cigarettes should only be promoted to smokers.

"The VIP adverts sexualise e-cigarette use and encourage their use by everyone, not just smokers," she said.

"Ash doesn't see how these adverts conform to the guidelines and if they do then we are seriously concerned that the advertising guidelines are not fit for purpose."

"There is a place for responsible advertising of e-cigarettes but this isn't it."

The BMA said it was encouraged that the decision will be reviewed after 12 months "as advertising regulation must match changes in the market."

I've never smoked and never will so personally I find the whole e-cig thing a bit odd. We've had people wandering around the office puffing away (they now have to stand outside in the pissing rain with the rest of the tobacco lepers), and there is a bloke with an e-pipe (which just looks like a crack pipe tbh). All very strange.

Edited by Eames

• 10 months later...

finally we join the 21st century , lets hope they reverse the advertising  ban on the real thing as well

why?

Because we don't ban Alcohol advertising  , a product that does far more harm  than cigarettes do   ( NHS Stats show almost double alcohol related treatments required than Smoking related as an example) .

You can make the case for banning alcohol adverts as well I guess  ..at least then it wouldn't be quite so hypercritical  , but personally I wouldn't ban either

Smoking comes with a health warning , people can chose to ignore that warning if they wish  ... much like a bloke going to Bangkok can sleep with a cheap hooker without wearing a condom if he wishes ... he knows the risk but he may feel the enjoyment to him personally outweighs the risks .. but it still comes down to it being his choice

Oh but wont somebody think of the children people will cry  , they will see a man on TV smoking and think it's cool and copy him ... yep just like playing GTA makes you into a serial killer or listening to rap music makes you think women are just objects who only wear skimpy bikini's  ...

• Like 1

Â