Electronic Cigarettes

AVFCDAN

Are they now calling for a ban on e-cigs in public places? and rightly so i think. I smoked for around 10 years but i just decided to stop because i was sick of it. I was sick of the cost, the effect on my health and the stench of it. Funny thing is though that when i smoked i used to say that i enjoyed it and it's only now that i've stopped that i can see what a vile and discusting habit it is.

I dont think these e-cigs are as safe as we think either. Probably safer than real cigs but still harmful.

Is this just a hunch or do you have any evidence?

When I look back, smoking effected anything from work to relationships, especially when my other half at the time wanted me to stop, I used to create arguments so I could go and smoke. It had total control on my life and then I had a conversation and somebody said "it's all in the mind and giving up smoking is easy", so I just stopped and 3 years on I couldn't think if anything worse.

Tha's all well and good, and well done to you Sir. But I don't think the correct route to go down is to ban everything that's addictive/harmful. I'm not suggesting that you are by the way, but that's what the government has plans to do ....

• Like 2

Are they now calling for a ban on e-cigs in public places? and rightly so i think. I smoked for around 10 years but i just decided to stop because i was sick of it. I was sick of the cost, the effect on my health and the stench of it. Funny thing is though that when i smoked i used to say that i enjoyed it and it's only now that i've stopped that i can see what a vile and discusting habit it is.

I dont think these e-cigs are as safe as we think either. Probably safer than real cigs but still harmful.

Surely the burden of proof needs to be on the safety of the e cigs? 

• Like 1

Surely the burden of proof needs to be on the safety of the e cigs? 

However Richard Filbrandt, e-cigarette user and co-owner of the Vibrant Vapour cafe in Carmarthen, said they had studies showing there was no risk to passive smokers.

"There are studies done by Air for Change in America that say it doesn't warrant withdrawing them from public places, and they are the same people that said take cigarettes away from public places," he told BBC News.

"Why should we be treated like smokers? Why should we be put out at risk of passive smoking ourselves in a smoking area when we do not smoke?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-26837682

• Like 1

I don't think banning the items is the way to go and people should be allowed to do what they want in the privacy (pot included) unless they have kids at home then they should use the garden.

I'm not sure quoting a statement of a lobbyist for e-cigs is really a trusted source. I find it somewhat amusing that on this forum that plenty is said about the government saying things but really all they are doing is trying to screw you over, but you believe these tin pot drug selling companies who are selling stuff that kills you but say "hey, these must be great fellas, they wouldn't lie to me". People hear what they want to hear, it's the way of the world....

• Like 1

But the evidence that does exist points strongly towards them not being particularly harmful.

The vapour consists of water, nicotine and propylene glycol/and/or vegetable glycerine.

You have to go hard on the vapour all day to inhale as much nicotine as that contained in three cigs. Nicotine is a naturally occurring substance found in most vegetables.

Propylene glycol is used in asthma inhalers and in hospital air systems.

Vegetable glycerine is an approved food additive.

So while you can say there isn't a lot of documented study on the effects of e-cig use, it's certainly true to say that everything points to them being far, far less harmful than inhaling burning tobacco leaves. Personally I'd go further and say that they're probably way less harmful than just about any other kind of enjoyable stimulant/depressant.

By all means don't go for them if you're worried, but a lot of the public opinion on them seems ridiculously hysterical and judgemental.

If those are the only ingredients in the vapour, where does the smell come from?

(I have no position in this debate other than as a sceptic. Follow the evidence.)

There is a variety of additional stuff that can be added or not added to provide a flavour or not. The vapour without flavours is odourless.

So what are those made of and are they (potentially) dangerous after being exposed to heat?

The thing is that they are not regulated at all at the moment.  You may be smoking nicotine free version with added vitamins, but the person next to you may be smoking e-cig version of a redbull.  How do I know the choices that each e-cig owner has made?  The problem for me is that it is pumping something into the air for me to breath that I have no control over and that the manufacture of which is unregulated.  I am also wildly skeptical of the first studies that have been done that prove the e-cig is harmless.  They always seem to be provided to use by the manufacturers of the devices, which is pretty much what happened with the old fashioned cigarettes (often sponsored by Dr's).  These are the same manufacturers that were happy to sell this product with a bubble gum flavour in amongst the sweets and chocolates.  There has been a cynical drive to get these undoubtedly addictive things into the hands of children and to re-normalise the idea of smoking in public places.  The tobacco industry has already been proven to be a deceptive, self serving, really scummy operator and to me this smells of a very underhand way of saving the industry following the hammering they have had through very sensible regulation.

I would absolutely ban them in public enclosed places, I would certainly ban flavors and advertising that is blatantly aimed at children and am happy enough with a restriction on purchasing them to be similar to that of existing tobacco products.

A banana, for instance, contains:

glycerine

phenylalanine

2-methylbutyl ethanoate,

hydroxyl-3-methylethyl

3-methylbutanal

ethyl hexanoate

pentyl acetate

methionine

phytosterols

...and several times more chemicals with similar names that I can't be bothered to list.

I'm not eating another banana until studies are done on their safety.

• Like 4

Are they now calling for a ban on e-cigs in public places? and rightly so i think.

why?

what's the harm to anyone but the inhaler?

What harm would a heroin user do to the person next to him if he started shooting up in the street? None at all. I'm not comparing them to heroin but the principal is the same.

My 5 year old asked me why that man has a torch that lights up in his mouth. Should my 5 year old see that everywhere he goes? No he shouldn't, that's the harm.

Just my opinion.

Â