Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

None of Vlaar, Delph or Gabby have done anything to warrant a deal that's above say 40k a week

Personally, I don't care what other teams may offer them, they just haven't done anything to warrant more than that from us

What will be will be

On his World Cup performances Vlaar looks to be a £10M player.

On his performances in two years at Villa, he looks to be half that player.

So is he expecting a new contract on the basis of his games for Holland or on his games for us ? If it's the latter, then i would expect a small increase to be offered, and if it's the former then i'd have to say we should let him leave and let another club take a risk. We shouldn't be held to ransom because he had a good world cup.

• Like 1

I have been told Ron, Fab and Gabby are likely to leave the club. :(   Randy is unwilling to break the current financial restraints to offer them improved terms.

I totally expect we will not offer these players enough to warrant them signing new deals and I fully expect the club to then want to cash in on them. Which is why last week in the vlaar thread I was saying we should sell for 10m and got criticised for it

That's because not everyone shares your belief that the club will want to cash in so easily.

You do know we are still owned by one Mr Randolph Lerner? He will buckle at £3.5m IMO and why not I think he'll have a long wait for his £200m.

Plus no one will offer £10m for a player in the final year of his contract, known to be injury prone and playing for a club desperate for money! 

So? I'm going on past experience. For all his faults we've always got good deals for our star players under Lerner. £12m for Barry and almost £20m for Young - both of whom were in the last year of their contracts. We didn't sell Benteke last year either despite everyone here insisting that Lerner would buckle and sell at the first chance.

• Like 1

I have been told Ron, Fab and Gabby are likely to leave the club. :(   Randy is unwilling to break the current financial restraints to offer them improved terms.

I totally expect we will not offer these players enough to warrant them signing new deals and I fully expect the club to then want to cash in on them. Which is why last week in the vlaar thread I was saying we should sell for 10m and got criticised for it

That's because not everyone shares your belief that the club will want to cash in so easily.

You do know we are still owned by one Mr Randolph Lerner? He will buckle at £3.5m IMO and why not I think he'll have a long wait for his £200m.

Plus no one will offer £10m for a player in the final year of his contract, known to be injury prone and playing for a club desperate for money! 

So? I'm going on past experience. For all his faults we've always got good deals for our star players under Lerner. £12m for Barry and almost £20m for Young - both of whom were in the last year of their contracts. We didn't sell Benteke last year either despite everyone here insisting that Lerner would buckle and sell at the first chance.

And I am just going on the fact that last year he wasn't actively looking to sell the club for a huge personal loss. 

I hope you are right but at the moment I don't trust Lerner to do the right thing for the club as he did in previous years when his interest hadn't waned.

• Like 1

And I am just going on the fact that last year he wasn't actively looking to sell the club for a huge personal loss. 

I hope you are right but at the moment I don't trust Lerner to do the right thing for the club as he did in previous years when his interest hadn't waned.

Why would the club being up for sale prevent him from doing the right thing with transfers? Survival is just as important as it ever was, if not more so now for Lerner - he'll know that selling Vlaar would hamper our chances. If we do sell though, he'll want to get the most money he can possibly get.

He isnt our Saviour by a long shot.

> Implying we wouldn't have been relegated without him last season

No im not implying that.

My interpretation of "he isn't our saviour by a long shot" was that you were implying his performances didn't save us from relegation last season.

IMHO we would have been buried without him, I feel the stats strongly support that too.

Its because the rest of team are so bad that he stands out so much.

On the contrary, I think playing in such a poor defensive unit makes him look worse than he really is. Playing alongside competent CBs and behind a good DM in the World Cup allowed him to focus on his own game rather than having to cover for others' mistakes and meant he fulfilled his potential.

Who knows, maybe next to Okore and behind... er... Cambiasso :lol: he might play like that next season.

Edited by ArteSuave
  • Like 3

Why would the club being up for sale prevent him from doing the right thing with transfers? Survival is just as important as it ever was, if not more so now for Lerner - he'll know that selling Vlaar would hamper our chances. If we do sell though, he'll want to get the most money he can possibly get.

It's less about the club being up for sale and more about the fact that the club is rotting from the inside during this period that will prevent them from being diligent and making the best decisions.

What i mean by this is that just as our chairman has lost interest, so too will the staff within the club... you can bet your ass Faulkner has been on wind down for a few months now, not to mention other staff who must now be contemplating their positions rather than passionately driving it forward.

Would a well run, diligent club send it's Captain's off to the shop window which is the World Cup, without at least trying to renew his fast running out contract?

Edited by GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS

I just don't see how any of this would stop the club from at least wanting to get the most money they can from Vlaar. Given that Lerner wants out it's probably more important than ever for him that we stay up.

Edited by Mantis

I can remember quite a few games we got one or three points in he was a rock at the back. I can't remember us getting any points from games he did not play in.

Without him I think we would have gone down last season. His presence is and was as important as Bentakes.

If he goes ALL funds must be used for a replacement.

• Like 2

I just don't see how any of this would stop the club from at least wanting to get the most money they can from Vlaar. Given that Lerner wants out it's probably more important than ever for him that we stay up.

Look back at the past few years when we have been in the do-do he has pulled out all the stops to keep us up hasn't he??

Look back at the past few years when we have been in the do-do he has pulled out all the stops to keep us up hasn't he??

We did stop up didn't we?

• Like 1

Not in terms of breaking the bank to bring new players in in January (although it didn't look like we would need to last season) but when it comes to star players we've always either got good fees for them or kept them (in the case of Benteke). I don't see this changing with Vlaar.

It was terrible that season he didn't and we got relegated  :angry:

There are so many things he had done for him( things he didn't have to worry about) in that Dutch side....at Villa he has to do it.

Edited by TRO

I dont mind the thought of Vlaar going for decent money

I dont even mind the thought of him going to a Manure or a Tottenham or a Roma,  good luck to him

But a QPR or a Southampton,  if that happens then I think i'll give things a miss for a while until that a hole lerner is totally gone from the club

• Like 1

I dont even mind the thought of him going to a Manure or a Tottenham or a Roma, good luck to him

But a QPR or a Southampton, if that happens then I think i'll give things a miss for a while until that a hole lerner is totally gone from the club

I agree if vlaar goes to qpr i will sack it off this season droopy dog will try and sell qpr to vlaar lets face it they are a small club always will be but one thing is they will offer silly money.

I dont even mind the thought of him going to a Manure or a Tottenham or a Roma, good luck to him

But a QPR or a Southampton, if that happens then I think i'll give things a miss for a while until that a hole lerner is totally gone from the club

I agree if vlaar goes to qpr i will sack it off this season droopy dog will try and sell qpr to vlaar lets face it they are a small club always will be but one thing is they will offer silly money.

It is a real sign of what a state we are in! Clubs like QPR can have more of a pull on players than us. Even the likes of Hull, Stoke, the Baggies and others appear to be a more attractive proposition than us... Just embarrassing....

Â