Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

But these teams have tried. I feel our club went into the window to do the least amount possible, as other clubs went in trying to do as much as they could. This is why we are where we are, we are being run to survive and this will change until the time when Lerner is no longer at the club, which I feel could be this summer, but we shall see.

And you suggest the teams have bought players who might not work out, I'm sure most will - but yet there will be some who won't - but these teams now have a fighting chance and these teams now have extra bodies which will inspire the dressing room and make sure there is a lot more fight for places, something we are begging for.

I'll leave it here I think.

So in other words we should buy lots of players (even if they're not up to standard or what we need) just to prove we "tried"?

We have extra players too you know and as I said, we brought more players in than quite a few clubs, as well as letting none go. What you seem to be advocating is short-termism and buying players for the sake of it.

I never said that.

But these teams have tried. I feel our club went into the window to do the least amount possible, as other clubs went in trying to do as much as they could. This is why we are where we are, we are being run to survive and this will change until the time when Lerner is no longer at the club, which I feel could be this summer, but we shall see.

And you suggest the teams have bought players who might not work out, I'm sure most will - but yet there will be some who won't - but these teams now have a fighting chance and these teams now have extra bodies which will inspire the dressing room and make sure there is a lot more fight for places, something we are begging for.

I'll leave it here I think.

So in other words we should buy lots of players (even if they're not up to standard or what we need) just to prove we "tried"?

We have extra players too you know and as I said, we brought more players in than quite a few clubs, as well as letting none go. What you seem to be advocating is short-termism and buying players for the sake of it.

He isn't advocating buying players for the sake of it and how the hell you have drew that conclusion from his posts is beyond me.

Some of the teams around us, who already have stronger squads (not stronger first 11) than us in my opinion, have done more than us to improve those squads to try to help them stay up.

I am though really only concerned with us and we had gaping holes in the squad before the window opened and at the end of it those gaping holes still remain. As has been stated many times our first 11 is fine but scratch below that and we are very poor.

We could pay a heavy price for not giving the manager the necessary financial backing to bring in the two or three players we were desperately crying out for in a creative midfielder, centre back and defensive midfielder.

Much of this is for another thread though so I will leave it there.

Edited by markavfc40

He isn't advocating buying players for the sake of it and how the hell you have drew that conclusion from his posts is beyond me.

Some of the teams around us, who already have stronger squads (not stronger first 11) than us in my opinion, have done more than us to improve those squads to try to help them stay up.

I am though really only concerned with us and we had gaping holes in the squad before the window opened and at the end of it those gaping holes still remain. As has been stated many times our first 11 is fine but scratch below that and we are very poor.

We could pay a heavy price for not giving the manager the necessary financial backing to bring in the two or three players we were desperately crying out for in a creative midfielder, centre back and defensive midfielder.

Much of this is for another thread though so I will it there.

The fact that he keeps on going on about "trying" and how other clubs have brought lots of players is kind of a giveaway.

Much of this is for another thread though so I will it there.

The fact that he keeps on going on about "trying" and how other clubs have brought lots of players is kind of a giveaway.

No it isn't.

I genuinely have no idea how you came to that conclusion, most of my post describes a lack of quality and for us needing to improve. In no way at all do I suggest going for average players.

Try does not mean looking for anything, it is strange you found that and came to the conclusion you did.

Love it >love it >love it......it seems everyone on here is a journolist, let's all twist posts to make a comment turn into an argument, i've had it with this site, the MODS are probabley the worst offenders (sorry forgot to metion their sidekicks).

I genuinely have no idea how you came to that conclusion, most of my post describes a lack of quality and for us needing to improve. In no way at all do I suggest going for average players.

Try does not mean looking for anything, it is strange you found that and came to the conclusion you did.

So why did you keep on talking about "trying"?

This is an example for you.

I'm judging quantity over quality because we do not have a big squad and are only one injury in many positions from a terrible run. If Benteke is out, Holt is less mobile and won't be as effective (I have no issues with the signing) if Vlaar is out we have the chuckle brothers in defence, if Delph is out we lose mobility from a midfield that is completely static at the best of times and is an area that needed better quality and somebody fresh/new in there, we already struggle to make chances - and this is why the manager in many interviews has been crying out for an 'AM'.

Let's not even mention the fact that when Gabby is injured (which seems to be every other week) we are flat footed and couldn't stretch an elastic band, let alone a defence. Teams come to Villa park and have so much joy because we don't have different players we can bring in to change the game. Did you see our bench today? We lack quantity and quality and this is why we are inconsistent, yet nothing was done about trouble areas - even though other teams have shown it is possible to bring something a little different in, in this window. Even Arsenal found somebody to tide them over, other teams have found small pieces to get them through the next few months.

Us? We needed a defensive midfielder, or a defender, an attacking midfielder and perhaps if we were really lucky, somebody who can come in at right back because Lowton has become a massive issue.

And you keep saying it isn't the best time to buy, this is a great excuse for a club who had little intention on backing the manager.

Let's not pretend we have quality or quantity - and the great thing for Lerner is that most are saying... "Lambert is a fool for not buying a/b/c/d..."

In no way at all does this suggest just anybody.

Edited by dodgyknees

We know vlaar is important and we know he's struggling with fitness and injuries, so we sign grant holt. Genius villa. Absolute genius.

And how do you know that adequate backup for Vlaar was available to loan in on Holt's wages?

I doubt Holt is on peanuts but did it have be on Holts wages? What about acting like an established top flight club and paying the going rate for an established top flight quality player or two and seeing how that works under this manager. It is something he hasn't been allowed to do yet.

We had the chance to fill some gaping holes in the squad in January and we didn't. If injuries become a problem then the club will only have itself to blame.

I have no idea about the financial situation so I don't know.

It could be that there just wasn't anyone that was

- Available for loan

- Willing to take sensible wages

- Good enough to be backup to Vlaar

That last point is probably most crucial.

I think this was your original post. Apologies if it wasn't. Now I find it hard to believe that in the whole world of football there could not be a player that meets the above criteria that is better than Clark and Baker. It seems unlikely.

Also not sure what your definition of sensible wages is?

Love it >love it >love it......it seems everyone on here is a journolist, let's all twist posts to make a comment turn into an argument, i've had it with this site, the MODS are probabley the worst offenders (sorry forgot to metion their sidekicks).

Bye then  :wave:

To be fair the squabbling does get tiresome.

This is an example for you.

I'm judging quantity over quality because we do not have a big squad and are only one injury in many positions from a terrible run. If Benteke is out, Holt is less mobile and won't be as effective (I have no issues with the signing) if Vlaar is out we have the chuckle brothers in defence, if Delph is out we lose mobility from a midfield that is completely static at the best of times and is an area that needed better quality and somebody fresh/new in there, we already struggle to make chances - and this is why the manager in many interviews has been crying out for an 'AM'.

Let's not even mention the fact that when Gabby is injured (which seems to be every other week) we are flat footed and couldn't stretch an elastic band, let alone a defence. Teams come to Villa park and have so much joy because we don't have different players we can bring in to change the game. Did you see our bench today? We lack quantity and quality and this is why we are inconsistent, yet nothing was done about trouble areas - even though other teams have shown it is possible to bring something a little different in, in this window. Even Arsenal found somebody to tide them over, other teams have found small pieces to get them through the next few months.

Us? We needed a defensive midfielder, or a defender, an attacking midfielder and perhaps if we were really lucky, somebody who can come in at right back because Lowton has become a massive issue.

And you keep saying it isn't the best time to buy, this is a great excuse for a club who had little intention on backing the manager.

Let's not pretend we have quality or quantity - and the great thing for Lerner is that most are saying... "Lambert is a fool for not buying a/b/c/d..."

In no way at all does this suggest just anybody.

I saw your post the first time. However, your other posts emphasised this "trying" aspect when I brought up the fact that in many cases January buys are failures.

We know vlaar is important and we know he's struggling with fitness and injuries, so we sign grant holt. Genius villa. Absolute genius.

And how do you know that adequate backup for Vlaar was available to loan in on Holt's wages?

I doubt Holt is on peanuts but did it have be on Holts wages? What about acting like an established top flight club and paying the going rate for an established top flight quality player or two and seeing how that works under this manager. It is something he hasn't been allowed to do yet.

We had the chance to fill some gaping holes in the squad in January and we didn't. If injuries become a problem then the club will only have itself to blame.

I have no idea about the financial situation so I don't know.

It could be that there just wasn't anyone that was

- Available for loan

- Willing to take sensible wages

- Good enough to be backup to Vlaar

That last point is probably most crucial.

I think this was your original post. Apologies if it wasn't. Now I find it hard to believe that in the whole world of football there could not be a player that meets the above criteria that is better than Clark and Baker. It seems unlikely.

Also not sure what your definition of sensible wages is?

Maybe in the summer but it's January. Neither of us know what goes on behind the scenes but I don't find it that far-fetched. Vlaar is a very important player for us and we've seen how Clark is normally pretty good alongside him but falls to pieces when he's not there.

Value for money (within reason obviously), so not something like 90k for Lescott.

I think it's time people stopped clinging to history.

What a shocking post. I'm actually gobsmacked. I don't know how a supporter can have this attitude so they can defend an owner or manager. This is the club you support and you're going to forget it's history so you can defend a billionaire? Actually disgusted by this.

Â