SPECULATION: Jem Karacan (Reading)

Villan4Life

star

READING star Jem Karacan’s contract talks have stalled.

Newcastle, Aston Villa and West Ham, along with Turkish sides Fenerbahce and Galatasaray, are monitoring the situation.

It is believed the midfielder – a key player in the Royals’ promotion to the Premier League last season – has been offered a contract which is dwarfed by the wages of new signings Danny Guthrie and Pavel Pogrebnyak.

Born in London, Karacan has a Turkish Cypriot father and an English mother. He has played for Turkey at all levels up to under-21 and featured in 37 Championship games for Reading last season until breaking his ankle in April.

With just a season left on his deal, talks have been held about a new one.

But the two parties look a long way apart, especially after the bumper package awarded to fellow midfielder Guthrie, who joined from Newcastle on a free transfer this summer after his contract ran down.

Russian striker Pogrebnyak, who also signed on a free having been a big hit at Fulham, is understood to be on the highest wages ever paid by the Royals.

With Galatasaray and Fenerbahce showing interest, Karacan has hinted he could move to Turkey.

“I don’t know what the future holds. However, I want to play in Turkey one day,” he said in April.

But he also knows his best chance of being picked for the full Turkey national side rests with playing in the Premier League

But he also knows his best chance of being picked for the full Turkey national side rests with playing in the Premier League

because playing in Turkey for one of big teams would really hamper that. Shocking journalism

'Shocking' journalism? A little biased perhaps. I'm also not entirely enthused about a player whose contract talks stall at the first signs of an opportunity to make a killing.

I'm also not entirely enthused about a player whose contract talks stall at the first signs of an opportunity to make a killing.

Think you're being a bit harsh there BOF. I mean from his point of view he was clearly a big player for them last year now two new lads come in and get paid a hell of a lot more than him, I can see why he is annoyed. I know absolutely nothing abouy him, but seems to be one of those pull a few names out of a hat links.

I call bullshit!

In my opinion this article is one of two things,

1. It is down to an agent who is getting a story out there to try and either drum interest in or fake interest in his player at a time of a contract negotiation with a view to forcing Reading to give the player and in turn him a better deal.

2. Its down to a journalist hearing that contract talks aren't going well and then just picking a few clubs out of thin air who might, just might be looking to sign a player or two. I mean look at the clubs selected, we've signed 2 midfielders already while Newcastle seemingly don't need midfielders and do all their shopping in France these days and then West Ham a newly promoted club being linked with almost everyone. Oh because he is Turkish they throw in a couple of the big clubs from over there.

As I said, I call bullshit I'm just not sure who's brand of bullshit it is the agent or the media but I'm confident it is bullshit.

No media source has been anywhere near Lambert's targets this summer, his signings went under the radar and his interest in Vlaar was revealed by an eagle eyed fan at the ground. While the recent speculation about Creswell I rather suspect is down to Ipswich trying to attract other interested parties to create an auction because given the way we've kept other deals silent so far I doubt its come from our end and Ipswich to me seem to be very willing to sell if they can get the right price.

One to ignore I think folks.

This link is outrageous. Truly, truly truly outrageous.

Do you know, I'd almost posted that when I first saw the thread but thought "who'd remember that and they might call me a bumder too!" :lol:

Â