General Krulak (No Transfer Questions allowed)

c-krulak

General Krulak here:

1. Unfortunately (or fortunately), neither Randy nor I are associated with the credit card industry any longer. The credit card issuer is responsible for setting the promotion rate and the duration of that rate...AVFC has no control over that.

2. Not sure I know anything about the songs. Is that something the Club is responsible for or the fans? What is the issue?

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. Not sure I know anything about the songs. Is that something the Club is responsible for or the fans? What is the issue?

Just from my own perspective, some fans are disappointed that the fans don't sing a wider variation of songs.

Personally I don't see it as a "club" thing. It's up to us lot.

There's some suggestions that the club could print out "lyrics sheets" to songs that some of the fans don't remember or know, for whatever reason.

Personally, I'm far from convinced it is a good idea, but that doesn't mean It isn't a good idea, just my opinion.

I believe the fans have to be the originators, "teachers" and of course singers.

More beer :twisted: a winning side and it'll happen by itself.

just one opinion of many, though, no doubt.

General Krulak here:

1. Unfortunately (or fortunately), neither Randy nor I are associated with the credit card industry any longer. The credit card issuer is responsible for setting the promotion rate and the duration of that rate...AVFC has no control over that.

Ok - but thanks for taking the time to reply

Just from my own perspective, some fans are disappointed that the fans don't sing a wider variation of songs.

Personally I don't see it as a "club" thing. It's up to us lot.

There's some suggestions that the club could print out "lyrics sheets" to songs that some of the fans don't remember or know, for whatever reason.

Personally, I'm far from convinced it is a good idea, but that doesn't mean It isn't a good idea, just my opinion.

I believe the fans have to be the originators, "teachers" and of course singers.

More beer :twisted: a winning side and it'll happen by itself.

just one opinion of many, though, no doubt.

I remember when Villa used to put song words on the big screen. It was so patronising to us, and it gave the away fans plenty to laugh about.

Hopefully that will never come back - it was so embarrassing.

General - I take it you had a say in the new blog with Sir Gareth of Barry on the OS ?

Cracking work Sir, we have lacked a true example of interaction between players and fans over the years, but I think we are slowly but surely bridging that gap.

Another sign this club is pushing forward.

Ps. Are you an Incubus fan General ?

:)

General,

It was my request so I will elaborate.

Villa used to have some "anthem" chants, like "The Bells are Ringing", "Holte enders in the sky" (this one still is sung), "Come on you lions", "my eyes have seen the glory of the Villa win the cup" and so on...

Over the past ten years, for many reasons, apathy, seating stadiums, people like me growing old !! these have been lost and replaced by two offensive songs about Small Heath Alliance (pet name for our near neighbours) and Holte-enders (luckily kept that one.

I posted it on here and all 66 replies agreed without question, with some suggestions of getting them back (and in the process improving the atmosphere).

These included a few that the club itself could look at. (and as previously said here I don't know if they are good / bad ideas - just ideas !.

1. (this one has been done at Liverpool with very large success) Actually putting song sheets on the seats with words on one side , and an image on the other (when held up shows some kind of mosaic) the scousers did this a few years ago with the song "feilds of athenry" and it is now sung with amaxing effect.

2. Playing the "real" record over the tannoy (currently being done with Holte-enders and Hi Ho Silver lining) but could be done with all (the bells are ringing for (claret and blue) me and my girl

3. Again, adopted at Anfield, having a, hard to put it, singing section (ie: having all ring leaders in one section, purpose, if one starts on his own he is liable to get told to sit down you drunk, if a few hundred start, the rest of the ground follows.

4. Before the game showing old clips of Villa fans singing these songs on the screen - with so much TV coverage must be able to find these somewhere.

There are others but I am aware I am waffling !!.

They are not my ideas, these are on the post, who knows if they, if any would work but Villa park is at present a grave yard and it needs someone to awaken the pride..

Pleas help if you can

Paul

I don't know if it's still going but one thing i liked about our radio station (The Villan) of course was the 'Monday night phone-in' where the fans had a chance to talk about the weekends events and there was guests like Tony Morley to express his opinion about the club, is there a chance of it returning General?, and it would be great if the reserve matches were free to listen too on the official website as many of us who can't make the games would love to hear how they get on,

cheers

some good points we must get villa park sounding and looking good , look at anfield v barcs it was a sea of red and white and a stunning atmosphere, i know it was an important match but it looked and sounded awesome.

watching Lens v b lev , i noticed the same all the lens fans had scarves waving or held walk alone style looked impressive, celtic at san siro the same, newcastle thousands of scarves waving all the time.

not scarfs please !!!

they are trite and we have never done that

ballons and flags for us please !!!

General just another thing I oticed last week when driving past VP. We have the academy on Witton lane and the facade onto it looks awful considering we own it.

any chance of painting it Claret and blue I think that would make the approach to the ground much better

General Krulak here:

1. Sounds like we could get something going for the 25th Anniversay and carry it forward. Scarfs, etc.

General putting it against the background of the European Cup Winners would be excellent and it would not look too much like we have a non-singing crowd too.

Cannot wait to see the team together again.

not scarfs please !!!

they are trite and we have never done that

ballons and flags for us please !!!

General just another thing I oticed last week when driving past VP. We have the academy on Witton lane and the facade onto it looks awful considering we own it.

any chance of painting it Claret and blue I think that would make the approach to the ground much better

I think scarves would be great!

Why not Ballons and flags as well throw in some song sheets and let party like it's 1982!

General,

Feels like I am bombarding you with thoughts but I have 36 yrs bottled up that I could never release until now...

I don't know how much you are up with player histories but I am sure you know the Legend that is Paul McGrath... (or God as he is known) The best player to ever play for this club and we have had some greats !!!.

Unfortunately 1 thing sours Gods' tenure at Villa and that is that when he left he was given a fairwell testimonial. Unfortunately for many reasons (I think the main one is it was sandwiched in the middle of a cup final and a FA cup semi final if I remember correctly) the attendance was appalling - 12000 and every Villa fan is still totally embarrassed of the fact.

Is there any way we can honour God properly, I am not saying for his financial benefit (but this maybe an idea as I understand he is on hard times - but this may have been sorted) but maybe a charity game in his homour

He really deserves better than he got and I guess, no - I know, you will get every villa fan agreeing with me on this one !!!

Scarves a massive yes - again one lost in generations.... scarves used to be just claret and blue - claret and blue means Villa - now they are cheap and nasty with all sorts on them, England flags at either end etc....

I went one further one round each wrist and one round the neck - still have a piccie on the comp of me like that with Des Bremner !!!

General,

Feels like I am bombarding you with thoughts but I have 36 yrs bottled up that I could never release until now...

I don't know how much you are up with player histories but I am sure you know the Legend that is Paul McGrath... (or God as he is known) The best player to ever play for this club and we have had some greats !!!.

Unfortunately 1 thing sours Gods' tenure at Villa and that is that when he left he was given a fairwell testimonial. Unfortunately for many reasons (I think the main one is it was sandwiched in the middle of a cup final and a FA cup semi final if I remember correctly) the attendance was appalling - 12000 and every Villa fan is still totally embarrassed of the fact.

Is there any way we can honour God properly, I am not saying for his financial benefit (but this maybe an idea as I understand he is on hard times - but this may have been sorted) but maybe a charity game in his homour

He really deserves better than he got and I guess, no - I know, you will get every villa fan agreeing with me on this one !!!

Agree entirely with your comments; Paul McGrath is a legend and deserves much respect.

Not so sure about more stuff for God, he knows we love him and he should be pretty well off with book sales and media work etc. Would be a bit daft to do something for him again when some others have given their all for Villa as well and got bugger all back in days when the maximum wage was around etc.

Can you honour God again with a testimonial etc. when there is someone like Jimmy Dugdale with his legs amputated?

Personally I think the scarf idea is a great one. However, one thing I would urge Villa to do is not to make every scarf identical! Anfield looks superb with a range of different scarfs, St James looked slightly strained and obvious with all the scarfs being identical, that's only my opinion of course!!

In terms of whether scarfs are in our history, I am not old enough to know whether they are or not, in my lifetime I have not really seen loads of flags/balloons either! In my opinion that is not necessarily the point. The point is Villa Park has lost it's atmosphere and something like providing scarfs is not going against our history, it's merely altering it in a positive way. Although we need to stay as true to our history as is reasonable, we also need to be fluid enough to realise that going against an idea just because we never did it before may be a little short sighted.

On a seperate issue, this is my first post on this thread and can I just say how fanastic it is to have the General on Villatalk answering our questions so promptly - it is wonderful to have such an insight into the club.

not in my lifetime at Villa we haven't, however we have done balloons etc...

Not being funny, if we haven't maybe it's about time we tried something new cause anything we did before clearly hasn't worked?

While I want to show off our tradition and history and be VERY proud of it, all the old timers saying we should stick with claret body / blue sleeves, and we musn't use scarves because we never have, nike will keep the playground happy, I don't want Villa to become a brand etc. are keeping us in a timewarp as much as Ellis did (well ok not that much), it's time to make a new Villa, a winning Villa, a Villa everybody talks about positivly. Lets sing about our history from the rooftops but do it while were bringing ourselves into the new decade.