General Krulak (No Transfer Questions allowed)

c-krulak

General Krulak here:

2. MON's comments on the Barry issue pretty much tell the tale. It is now up to the fans as to who they believe. I can state, unequivocally, that MON hit the nail on the head....and was kind to Barry in doing so. We have tried very hard to be professional in all of this...and we will continue to do so. L'pool knows our price...they either will pay it or not.

general, what will happen if liverpool dont pay our price?

will gareth barry be sweetened up and utilised, or will we take a hard line on him to send a message out to the rest of the squad?

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General

The promotional video for ACORNS features Gareth Barry. In this day an age i understand footballers earn huge amounts of money and for me Gareth Barry is the wrong person to promote Acorns. I feel he is using the champions league as a smokescreen to earn huge amounts of money, this coincides with his recent comments that Villa have offered him no incentives.

"When I read a post that says that other Clubs are "snapping up players" I have to wonder what League and what Clubs they are talking about."

Spurs, Bolton, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City to name a few. All Premiership.

"When we are compared to, say the Spurs, over the winter...a snapshot in time"

This year - quite a relevant snap shot in reality. I find it remarkable that even though we are in much greater need of players that a rival still obliterates us in the transfer market.

" MON is NOT going to go after players that he doesn't need"

The point is - he does need them. We have needed extra bodies and wasted the opportunity in January and only purchased one reserve right sided player in Routledge. Someone at board level has to monitor the situation or help MON to ensure we don't waste another transfer window.

"just to say he got players or that we, as a Club, spent X amount of pounds. That is crazy!"

No one is saying we should spend x amount of £'s just to keep up with the "jones".

What we should be doing is strengthening the smallest squad in the premiership rather than talking about it. Actions speak louder than words and we still have a pitifully small squad with even more games coming up next season. Forgive me for thinking we need to do something pretty damn quick to address this!

General Krulak here:

1. Wrafey: You can get his number thru reception...tell him I asked you to call.

2. Fuse: My sense is that Randy's knowledge may well come in handy. Again, he would not interfere with MON and only get involved if asked by the man he has charged to "make it happen."

3. RossAndreas: Your entire rant is based upon the premise that we aren't going about doing the job. With that as a premise, I don't know what to say other than you are wrong. "Actions speak louder than words"...not a bad quote. Did you see any "action" on the Pitch last year with this "pitifully small squad"? "Someone at the board level has to monitor the situation or help MON to ensure that we don't waste another transfer window." Are you serious???????? You want me...or Bob Kain...or Bob Martin to monitor the situation or help MON avoid wasting "another transfer window"? I am sure...I am positive...that Martin would really appreciate me "helping him"...let's see Martin, I think you ought to pick up the phone now and call player X or their agent. I don't mind answering questions but when you put a rant like this on the site, I have to chuckle to myself. I know 1/10th of what the VAST majority of you all know about football...but you, my friend, appear to be my equal!! Welcome aboard. I cannot wait to offer my "help" to Martin....and I will give you his reply as soon as I peel him off the ceiling. You are joking aren't you???

Kudo's to you General. You always give an educated yet humourous reply when the easier option would be to lose your temper.

Total faith in MON, Randy and co and ill judge the transfer scenario come August like everyone should.

RossAndreas: Your entire rant is based upon the premise that we aren't going about doing the job. With that as a premise, I don't know what to say other than you are wrong. "Actions speak louder than words"...not a bad quote. Did you see any "action" on the Pitch last year with this "pitifully small squad"? "Someone at the board level has to monitor the situation or help MON to ensure that we don't waste another transfer window." Are you serious???????? You want me...or Bob Kain...or Bob Martin to monitor the situation or help MON avoid wasting "another transfer window"? I am sure...I am positive...that Martin would really appreciate me "helping him"...let's see Martin, I think you ought to pick up the phone now and call player X or their agent. I don't mind answering questions but when you put a rant like this on the site, I have to chuckle to myself. I know 1/10th of what the VAST majority of you all know about football...but you, my friend, appear to be my equal!! Welcome aboard. I cannot wait to offer my "help" to Martin....and I will give you his reply as soon as I peel him off the ceiling. You are joking aren't you???

General, I'm not going to back up RossAndreas as I disagree with a lot of what he said. I don't think MON needs to be monitored, I believe he worked miracles last season on too smaller squads and we were very lucky with injuries. I think in some ways I do agree with him on transfers but not that MON is no good or needs to get a move on, just maybe he needs a little more luck or pay that little extra if needs be. I trust MON and think he's a fantastic manager, and would love to see how he does with a good size and talented squad rather than the small and up and coming squad that he currently has.

General,

Every day, I have to constantly reminds myself how lucky I am that we have this set up.

At 19, I've been a season ticket holder Villa Park for pretty much the whole stint where we've done nothing except for a couple of league cups and an FA cup final.

I just want to say thanks to you, Randy and Martin for what you've changed our club into.

I never knew football clubs were run like this, I didn't know this level of interaction with fans existed.

All I ever see in the media is 'the common fan' no longer feels attached to their club because of the high ticket prices etc, well, they should become Villa fans because I honestly feel completely involved in this whole process.

I realize that you coming on these sites, Randy getting Acorns as a sponsor, reopening the Holte Hotel and all the other fantastic things WE'VE (thats how strongly I feel) achieved since the take over probably has been done with business in mind... BUT that doesn't make it any less noble.

I just want to thank you again for what 'the team' have done for us.

I just hope our playing staff over the next 5-6 years can really give us something to cheer about, and I really hope we, as fans, can give you the sort of atmosphere that the board and MON deserve for their brilliant efforts.

Ps. Will you or Randy be going away for the Intertoto game?

Hi General,

I trust you have seen this Gareth Barry playing dirty with Aston Villa.

I was very happy to see this, since it tells me that all the right things are being done by the club. What I think would be great is an article reflecting on how some clubs conduct there business, especially when you read this Keane playing "dirty" with Spurs.

Some clubs need to shown for what they are.

Keep up the good work and please continue with the current strategy - you are making the name Villa proud.

[ fixed Barry URL - limpid ]

General Krulak here:

I know 1/10th of what the VAST majority of you all know about football...but you, my friend, appear to be my equal!! Welcome aboard. I cannot wait to offer my "help" to Martin....and I will give you his reply as soon as I peel him off the ceiling. You are joking aren't you???

That might just be my favourite post of all time on this site. :D

Anyway,

Just interested to know how Randy's involvement with Villa is views by Browns fans? And to know if as a result of the link up we have picked up many more fans in the US?

TV

Guest Ricardomeister

General, on a lighter note do you have any nicknames that you can tell us about? I thought the Chasmeister has a good ring to it! Or any nicknames for Mrs K or Randy or MON that you can divulge? :winkold:

UTV SOTC

Hello General,

Firstly, have the club ever thought about putting the words 'The Holte' in lights on the roof of the Holte stand 'inside' the stadium? I sit in the North Stand and on night games I think this would look fantastic! Secondly, during live televised games I've noticed that the cameras focus on the players coming out of the tunnel before a game - again have the club thought about putting the wording - Villa Park, Prepared or even Acorns around the tunnel roof?

General Krulak here:

1. ferguson1. You raised some points that I honestly don't think we have given much thought to...and they are good ones. I will pass them on.

2. Article on Barry: I think it pretty much said what needed to be said. The comments about MON were uncalled for and inaccurate.

3. My sense is that Randy and I will be at Intertoto if at all possible.

4. Browns understand Villa...and the need for Randy to spend time here. The Browns are running smoothly right now...getting ready for a good camp and then the season.

5. Davies is ours.

6. No nicknames at this time. I had a few in the Corps but none fit to print here.

7. nick76: As a fan myself, I admit to the same frustrations as you have. I want to see a legion of players coming down Trinity Road RIGHT NOW...but this is not the way things happen in the Premiership. There is constant give and take with Clubs, players and agents...and getting ink on the contract is not something that happens overnight. Just please know that MON is talking and calling and visiting and seeing.

General,

I believe MON is doing all he can. He's not stupid and he knows we need a stronger team come August.

That being said, it's time for Randy to open his cheque book and show the world who's got the biggest nuts! Go and land Bentley!!!

I can be on hand for negotiations if need-be...

:flag:

Hi General

This is my very first post on VT although I view your post's regularly and think it great to have such access. My question to you is in relation to Mark Delaney's comments on the Gareth Barry saga which I really do not feel have been helpful and have again been disrepectful to the club, please could someone have a quiet word in his ear that he should be more grateful to Villa as we stuck by him during his prolonged injury and are now helping him get on the coaching ladder in other words shut up sonny..... other than that I think the club are handling the whole saga brilliantly but please please do not lower the price by one pence or accept payment in any other way than full cash upfront.....

Howdy General

First of all, can I say how fantastic last season was for me. I have been a season ticket holder since I was about 7 (I'm 23 now) and it was the most entertaining season of football I've seen down at Villa Park and re-instated my pride at being a Villa fan. Whatever you say, yourself and Randy are hugely influential in creating the positive vibes at Villa Park and end the Deadly Dull years.

I am a little worried though at our activity in the transfer market. If a club like Man City is trying to sign Ronaldinho, is that not sort of player we should be busting a gut to sign? In my opinion, these players pay for themselves and I just really feel we need a 'big name' signing at the cub. Any chance of this happening?

The above point is also so important because our captain is probably leaving! I am sure that you want to bring success back to the club and I really feel we need to make a huge impact to the trasfer market this summer to send out a message that we can compete financially with the Man City's, Spurs etc.

Anyway, you have my full faith in looking after our great club and as I work in the City, I am looking forward to making the long trip back each weekend! :)

"Did you see any "action" on the Pitch last year with this "pitifully small squad"?"

Yes, we did well last year and 6th place was a great achievement. We were, however, very fortunate that we didn't have worse injuries (say like West Ham did). Add in to the mix that we have lost or are losing 3 first choice players in Carson, Mellberg and Barry and may well be playing another 10+ games in the Uefa I think I llike many other fans are rightly concerned.

"Are you serious???????? You want me...or Bob Kain...or Bob Martin to monitor the situation or help MON avoid wasting "another transfer window"?"

I want the board as a whole to provide help where it is needed to O'Neill in the transfer process. It's obvious to everyone that we have problems in recruiting players. Let's not just brush this under the carpet. Let's look at what the issues are and look what extra support we can provide O'Neill with to be more successful in transfer windows.

"let's see Martin, I think you ought to pick up the phone now and call player X or their agent."

I never suggested anything of the sort. I said monitor not advise him on players.

"Welcome aboard. I cannot wait to offer my "help" to Martin....and I will give you his reply as soon as I peel him off the ceiling. You are joking aren't you???"

What are the board of directors there for if they are not to guide the company in the right direction? Until we make some decent acquisitions I will continue feeling all is not right at the club.

This probably isn't the place for this..but, just becasue Spurs, Man City & Bolton have spent big on players doesn't mean that they will be good players, they are are all unproven - remember Rebrov? What a buy he turned out to be! And Corradi was hardly inspiring was he!? We have another two months to go before the window shuts, lets save out thoughts until then. Even Ferguson has said that the transfer system shuts down whilst there is a tournament on so MON is hardley alone in not buying anyone. I know we need players more than Man Utd, but I for one would rather see quality, proven players than some expensive misfit.

General - a lot of clubs have use the Marines to assist with pre-season training. Is this something that happens in the NFL? Also, given your knowledge of this type of training, would you recommend this approach to MON if he were to ask your advice (which he clearly wouldn't do as he runs the playing side etc etc!)

Keep up the good work General!

General I started a thread with the assumption pasted below. What date does our financial year end and would such circumstance as below be applicable to Villa and our dealings with other clubs during the transfer window?

Would I be correct in my assumption that most clubs have a fiscal year running to June 30th?

That being the case from a business sense it's doubtful that the books actually get closed until around the second week of July since not all expenses will be in or accounted for by the first week.

The obvious knock-on effect is that many annual budgets wont get approved until a board meeting following or preceeding the annual audit. I know it's always been the case everywhere I have worked even now, where my companies year ended yesterday. I'm fairly positive what my budget is going to be for fiscal year 09 and I have an employee I'm waiting to offer a contract to but cannot do it until after our board meeting next week.

If this works the same way in football and I imagine it does the in the weeks before the end of June some clubs will splash out on new contracts and signings to meet the cash set aside in the previous budget (obviously when the selling club needs the cash to avoid a deficet). Directly following the board meeting and next fiscal year approval new contracts get offered to current staff and the clubs start doing business.

This seems to coincide pretty well with the contracts just offered to the youth players and I would also imagine since West brom could not sell Davies within their fiscal year for tax reasons the deal will have finally gone through today or tomorrow.

With this taken into consideration it's unsurprising that we have not added any signings since both Aston Villa and any prospective selling club would be waiting for the fiscal year to begin. That would indicate that we will close some deals in the next few days, probably Barry off and Sidwell/Robinson in with a few more as budgets get approved in the next few weeks.