Speculation: Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord)

Feyenoord

Perhaps it's something to do with the financial FairPlay rule. Signing Vlaar without selling might put us beyond that, meaning when it comes to getting rid of Warnock/Collins then other clubs will not pay, knowing we'll probably have to pay out his contract and release him for free.

So instead of getting 4-5m and 50k off wage bill, we'd have to pay out several million on his contract.

I don't know how close we are to the financial limit but 80% of turnover I'd imagine is close.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

80% does sound incredibly high. Worrying if you think our wage bill is probably about as low right now as we'd really hope it to be. Big wages on the wrong players but probably about the number we'd need.

I still find it extremely worrying that under O'Neill when finishing sixth three times on the bounce we had the 8th, 6th and 6th highest wage bill but couldn't sustain it. We are going to find it very difficult to get back into the top 6 and stay there unless we are prepared to again have a wage bill that reflects that position.

It is Lerners biggest failure that he could not get income up to a level that could sustain finishing 6th with the 6th highest wage bill.

After a quick skim over the last 2 pages I can see some are still having a rant and moan about the owners and I have to say they are well

Within their right too. The appointment of Mcleish against the fans wishes was the worst moment for me in my life as a villa fan. All can not be forgiven over night with an appointment of a good manager. These wounds will take time to heal.

I still find it extremely worrying that under O'Neill when finishing sixth three times on the bounce we had the 8th, 6th and 6th highest wage bill but couldn't sustain it. We are going to find it very difficult to get back into the top 6 and stay there unless we are prepared to again have a wage bill that reflects that position.

It is Lerners biggest failure that he could not get income up to a level that could sustain finishing 6th with the 6th highest wage bill

It is Lerners biggest failure that he could not get income up to a level that could sustain finishing 6th with the 6th highest wage bill

Perhaps we just need better players?

Not only did we fork out shitloads on wages. The vast majority were/are average prem players at best when they havent got MON behind them.

After a quick skim over the last 2 pages I can see some are still having a rant and moan about the owners and I have to say they are well

Within their right too. The appointment of Mcleish against the fans wishes was the worst moment for me in my life as a villa fan. All can not be forgiven over night with an appointment of a good manager. These wounds will take time to heal.

The board and Lerner in particular lost a lot of the fans' goodwill with that appointment. The idea that they owe us in a financial sense is misguided (I know you haven't said this but others have alluded to it). That's not the way to run a business.

Not only did we fork out shitloads on wages. The vast majority were/are average prem players at best when they havent got MON behind them.

Completely agree. It wasn't that we had players beyond our financial bracket, it was that we simply paid average players too much.

Habib Beye, Heskey, Warnock, Collins, Sidwell..

They are not 60k a week players..

We can have a better team with less cost if we're just a bit more patient. O'Neill didn't have enough targets and so had to offer high wages to ensure we got them. Lambert seems very different, with shrewd signings.

It is Lerners biggest failure that he could not get income up to a level that could sustain finishing 6th with the 6th highest wage bill.

That wasnt the problem though, it was the fact you had players likes Beye who were earning as much as Friedel, one who never played and one who was literally the first name on the team sheet. What we need to have is a strict wage budget in terms of players status within the team, similar in the way that in football manager you can offer players wages determined by their status in the team. For me in relative no one earns their wages at the moment, when you think Beye was on the same wages as Luka Modric and on more than Gareth Bale at that time you can not play Lerner for questioning what was going on. In my opinion, we need to sign players when they are young enough that a rise in wages from 10k or so to 30k a week is a huge step up for them and keeps them happy while they nurture into stars. You can tell Lambert has clearly been told look the wage budget is the problem and why he has come out saying players are being greedy etc. If we could shift Hutton, Warnock, Collins & Dunne in the next 12 months, it would free up 160k a week maybe more, replacing them with Vlaar (30k), Clarke (20k), Lowton (15k?), New LB (20k) you're talking almost 100k a week.

We were at 80% under MON.

We surely can't be the same now.

Revenue would have also fallen though, i've no idea by how much but we have not had a decent run in any cup runs, gate receipts fell massively due to AM appointment, which of course lowers other match day revenues also.

Feyenoord want Vlaar decision

Villa accused of not being fair regarding interest in defender

Feyenoord have urged Aston Villa to make a decision on whether the club will press ahead with plans to sign their captain Ron Vlaar.

The Netherlands international travelled to Birmingham last weekend and held talks with Villa boss Paul Lambert regarding a move to the Premier League.

Vlaar subsequently admitted it would be a 'dream come true' to join Villa, but neither the defender nor Feyenoord have received any further contact.

The Eredivisie side's technical director Martin van Geel believes it is unfair of Villa not to have made a decision on signing the 27-year-old.

Deadline

"If I was Ron, I would set a deadline," Van Geel told the Dutch media. "I understand that his agent will do that.

"Ron has to know where he stands, and so do we. This isn't fair, especially towards Ron.

"As a club I think you are morally obliged to show clarity towards a proposed new player. Now, it's only confusing, not just for us, but also for Ron."

Feyenoord coach Ronaldo Koeman added to NUsport: "It is good when you invite a player and give him a positive feeling but it seems to me that then you need to try a direct transfer and complete it if you want the player.

"They have so much money but they do not pay for him.

"I need to gradually know where I stand. If it can't be guaranteed that Ron continues here then in the final friendly matches I will play without him in the centre of the defence."

Sky Sports

Have these quotes from Feyonoords technical director been posted?

Do think we are taking the piss a bit, we either buy this player or don't. Feyenoord seem to have a good relationship with Villa, which I think would be wrong to ruin over this. They let the player come to see us without any hassle, so I believe we should make a decision now.

Despite the last two pages on here, given what I am led to believe I would be absolutely flabbergasted if this deal collapsed now. Totally amazed. For me it should still be a done deal

What do you think about the sell to buy rumours? Just that the money is there and RL is watching the wage bill or we really are skint?

I don't believe it is. I think it is a sell crap to replace with better policy and transfers are about timing

But that is exactly what sell to buy is.

No. Sell to buy is having to raise funds through the sale of players to fund purchases. Sell crap and replace with better is called squad improvement

Isn't it the case that we are generating more commercial income than we have at any other previous time.

The fact is that we don't have the same fan base as the teams in the top 6, which is why our turnover is much less than the teams we are seeking to challenge.

Exactly, how many of those players were overpaid? Beye, NRC, Harewood, Sidwell, Shorey, Davies, probably a load more.