General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I've seen of Lowton so far he's nowhere near PL level. We don't need another version of him at LB

You can not judge him by just watching match of the day, clueless

He's consistently clueless though, and some of it is comedy gold!!

I did a post previously which showed who we paid in the accounts year ended 31.05.2011. I since applied what I thought was a realistic wage (in some cases very generous) for the players and multiplied it by the number of weeks they were paid. The wage bill only came to £54mil of the £83mil we paid out in wages, now it does not include non-playing staff, but I still think it makes for interesting reading.

dzi06a.png

Whoever is sitting right now thinking "yeah, i'd love NRC back here, he'd sort us out" - take a long hard look at yourself, immediately.

Nobody is saying that - it's more a case of thinking about what he offers and what we lack, some people think he'd be a good squad player and could do a job for us, not that he is some sort of messiah.

The squad is full of players that "can do a job". We need players to come in and add quality to the first team.

Morning Villa Talker's. I am a long time follower of the site and a first time poster as of today. Just a couple of observations really. Some fans are saying that we need proven Premiership quality to improve the squad. I do agree with this to a certain extent. However, whichever way you look at it- proven Premiership quality comes at a price. Adebayor for example- at £5 million a snip, but with a wage packet that would cripple a club such as ours. If the rumours are true that the purse strings are tight- who, realistically are we going to bring in of proven Premiership quality? Who would move to us from a rival club at the present time who would give us 10-15 goals a season and at what cost? I feel a mixture of optimism and disappointment at the moment. Disappointment because of our woeful start to the season but optimism, because I, like many others on here would be at a loss to explain why Lambert would leave Norwich to come to us and act simply as a 'budget cutter'. I am going to throw something into the pot and say that Lambert has indentified his targets and is simply waiting until other clubs do their business before deals are completed for us. Vlaar and El Ahmadi will be very good players for this club. I beleive that we will see between 3 and 5 players in over the next few days. I think a couple will be surprises, not from the Premier League (other unknown European gems I hope) and 1 or 2 will be loan deals from Premier League clubs. Lerner cannot afford, nor wants the club to be relegated and Lambert is not the kind of guy who would stick around if he had been brought in under false pretences. I have faith in Paul to bring in the players required to stabilise us this season (a top 10 would be a magnificent achievement), but a season of transition is very much in the offing in my opinion!

I'd take anyone at the moment if they improved the shit we are having to field week-in-week-out.

We have so many players not good enough for this level. Given, Herd, Bannan, Delph, Delfouneso, Warnock, Hutton... I'm sure there are a few more.

What we need is Premiership experienced players. Yes, we can have 1 or 2 youngsters in the side - Clark, Baker, Lowton, Weimann - but we can't keep playing these kids who have come through the system, cos' the majority of them are shit.

I'd even sell Darren Bent if we could get £20mill. He's done ****-all in 2 games except waltz around with the Captain's arm band on.

I'll give you a few players we could get in that would drastically improve this team - Michael Dawson, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Llallana, Ricky Lambert, Sebastian Larsson, Nicholas Bendtner. Out of these, I reckon at least 3 would be able to be purchased while Huddlestone would come on-loan (and to avoid the Kyle Walker charade, get an option to buy put in). I believe £20 mill would buy us Dawson, Larsson and Bendtner.

What we need is Premiership experienced players. Yes, we can have 1 or 2 youngsters in the side - Clark, Baker, Lowton, Weimann - but we can't keep playing these kids who have come through the system, cos' the majority of them are shit.

I'd even sell Darren Bent if we could get £20mill. He's done ****-all in 2 games except waltz around with the Captain's arm band on.

While I agree that experience is important, it doesn't necessarily have to be Premier League experience. If you were watching us yesterday and knew nothing about Villa or football you'd think El-Ahmadi was our most experienced Premier League player, when in actual fact it was only his second PL game. He's got experience though, just not in this league.

Why should we sell Bent? It's not that he's been "waltzing around", he's just not getting the service. We need to improve the players behind him.

If we've learned anything it is that premiership experience does NOT automatically equall quality.

Titus Bramble has something like 250 PL games to his name and he is and has always been just awful. The same could be said for hundreds of former and present PL players.

Premiership experience is an overrated attribute

By recent standards I don't think Moses cost that much (£9m was it). In the market for 'talented' young players that's not so bad. I do think he's an idiot for choosing Nigeria over England though.

I really wanted us to sign Moses when he was at Palace a number of years ago now, gutted we didn't get him, very talented player that lad.

I've no doubt that our youngsters have bags of talent but what they lack is physical prowess, take Barry Bannon for example, the lad is undoubtedly a good little footballer but has little or no physical presence which is what's needed in abundance in this league, they simply get bullied off the park week in week out which is one of the main reasons we're in this position. I don't think we have one player at present that can take a game by the scruff of the neck and lead by by example.

jordan watton‏@jordanwatton2

@reluctantnicko I beg you AL please tell me you know villa are close to signing 3-4 players?

Collapse

4:03 AM - 26 Aug 12via web · Details

26mAlan Nixon‏@reluctantnicko

@jordanwatton2 I wish. Want a target man but got none in range. Cresswell had a shocker for Ipswich too. Oh dear ...

2 clubs at the bottom of the table. Both teams need a striker. Villa want a target man. Liverpool want a finisher. Wages similar. Think we all no where im going with this.

Possible. But i think Sturridge is more likely to end up Liverpool. Then we pray that we can get Carroll in.