General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Looks like Johnson is definitely on the way to make room for Sinclair, think that's a signing we could and should be making, would fit perfectly into our team, if we could get him and jones from stoke I would be confident of a half decent season.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe people should wait until the end of the transfer window before complaining about Randy not spending?

Well, obviously - yeah.

We just have some people who want to be first to call it/be right/wear tin foil hats; it's an unfortunate by-product of being on a message board.

We just have some people who want to be first to call it/be right/wear tin foil hats; it's an unfortunate by-product of being on a message board.

What, like taking screenshots in the desperate case of being able to say "told you so" at a later date? :mrgreen:

Or perhaps, and I suspect most likely, we may end up with somebody in the middle of the two extremes that you have come up with there.

Somebody like Randy Lerner?

Nobody is asking for massive investment on world stars. We just want to compete.

And to compete we would need massive investment on world stars.

We are where we are I think and unless we win the owner lottery like City did or Chelsea did then we're stuck there. I think Randy knows that, I think he also knows that there's not much point throwing in the rest of his family's money at this point as it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference - it is what it is until the viewers get bored or the oligarchs die.

When you take into account both transfers AND wages the club loses about £50-60 million a year.

That money is made up for by Lerner putting his own cash into the club, taking it out of his own savings.

When Doug was running the club he wasn't putting any cash into the club, let alone £60 million a season. Instead he was taking a fee out of the club and paying himself from the club's income.

There is no comparison to be made between Doug and Lerner.

And yet the club is now performing no different to Doug's last season, has alienated a number of fans through lies to the fanbase, operating a sell to buy policy and little hope of actually managing to be anywhere near 'successful' in the near future.

So the only difference is that we're now losing £50million a season. He needs to sell up.

I suspect if he did sell up there would be a much greater chance we'd end up with an owner like the Venkey's/Carson Young/Hicks & Gellet/Thaksin Shinawatra/Eggert Magnússon /Malagar's fake sheik/Notts County, Portsmouth or Aberdeen's dodgy chancers than the remote chance of a new oil baron coming in.

Why?

Ellis was an arse and managed to sell to Lerner. If Lerner is not an arse, just who would he sell to?

Teams who have overtaken us or caught up since Lerner arrived:

Man City (due to finance)

Stoke

Tottenham

West Brom

Newcastle

Sunderland

Fulham

Everton

Those catching us

Swansea

QPR

Reading

Those above us anyway

Man united

Chelsea

Arsenal

If we are losing the £50 million a year like has been suggested elsewhere, I wouldn't be placing him in the middle.

I guess I should have made it a little more obvious what I meant by 'compete' for the mischievous ones.

I don't mean CL, UEFA or anything. Just not going into a season without a poor squad once again expecting a relegation battle. I think the general feeling was a midtable finish this year would be a decent one considering what has gone on the previous two.

To be able to go into games against teams better than us but knowing that we will give it a good go, and that with a little bit of luck, we might be able to get something.

Ellis was an arse and managed to sell to Lerner. If Lerner is not an arse, just who would he sell to?

Well he appointed McLeish and thought that'd be a good idea. Let's face it, his decision making hasn't been very good. Something you were saying yourself only six months ago.

If we are losing the £50 million a year like has been suggested elsewhere, I wouldn't be placing him in the middle.

And if he's supporting that £50m a year loss neither would I.

I guess I should have made it a little more obvious what I meant by 'compete' for the mischievous ones.

I don't mean CL, UEFA or anything. Just not going into a season without a poor squad once again expecting a relegation battle. I think the general feeling was a midtable finish this year would be a decent one considering what has gone on the previous two.

To be able to go into games against teams better than us but knowing that we will give it a good go, and that with a little bit of luck, we might be able to get something.

I think the general feeling still is that a midtable finish this year will be a decent one. I'm looking forward to being able to go into games against teams better than us but knowing that we will give it a good go, and that with a little bit of luck, we might be able to get something.

And you're right, that is mischievous, but I haven't quite given up on this season yet and I'm always a bit saddened when people do in August.

When you take into account both transfers AND wages the club loses about £50-60 million a year.

That money is made up for by Lerner putting his own cash into the club, taking it out of his own savings.

When Doug was running the club he wasn't putting any cash into the club, let alone £60 million a season. Instead he was taking a fee out of the club and paying himself from the club's income.

And yet the club is now performing no different to Doug's last season, has alienated a number of fans through lies to the fanbase, operating a sell to buy policy and little hope of actually managing to be anywhere near 'successful' in the near future.

So the only difference is that we're now losing £50million a season. He needs to sell up.

I suspect if he did sell up there would be a much greater chance we'd end up with an owner like the Venkey's/Carson Young/Hicks & Gellet/Thaksin Shinawatra/Eggert Magnússon /Malagar's fake sheik/Notts County, Portsmouth or Aberdeen's dodgy chancers than the remote chance of a new oil baron coming in.

Or perhaps, and I suspect most likely, we may end up with somebody in the middle of the two extremes that you have come up with there.

Nobody is asking for massive investment on world stars. We just want to compete. We haven't done that in the previous two seasons and despite a 'promise' that "lessons had been learnt" it looks like we won't this season, either.

By his own admission, if he said if he couldn't do it he'd sell up. Well, perhaps instead of taking us down, he should stick to his word.

Lerner is in the middle of those two extreams :confused:

He makes a moderate chunk of money available each season for transfers and allows managers a pretty generous spend on wages as well which he covers out of his own pocket.

Why would they loan him out without any intention at all to sell? Just asking. He ain't that young anymore, is he? But after Jenas I'd prefer us not to loan him.

First of all a lb, then a striker, and if there's money left I wouldn't mind a new winger and or a experienced cm. Guess Huddlestone would fit in the last position.

Why?

Who knows? He could just as well sell to the owner equivalent of Alex McLeish or Houllier couldn't he?

There are far more chancers with a flash sales pitch out there looking to buy a football club then actual wealthy custodians. We are lucky we have the latter and not the former but I wouldn't want to spin the wheel again and see who we ended up with next.

I really don't think we're gonna sign anyone for anything over 5/6 mil in the remainder of this window. Perhaps a kid or two from the lower leagues to give us some cover at best.

Nothing to base this on other than a general hunch, but I think those of us still holding out for the likes of Johnson and Carroll are going to be disappointed. I hope to be proved wrong, because as it stands, we are going to struggle for a third year in a row.