General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Sorry to sidetrack from the riveting Jarvis talk (btw, Jarvis will probably end up as Wet Spam, where the dildo brothers will overpay for him), but like I was talking about earlier with bringing Dempsey in, I thought about it more and he could be a great player for Lambert's system.

One of his main attributes is the ability to play in a variety of a attacking roles whether it be as a main striker, second striker, winger or AM. I thought it would work brilliantly if we had a system with say:

------------------------Bent-----------------------

--------N'Zog/Holman----------Dempsey-------

-----------------------Ireland---------------------

----Bannan/Gardner---------KEA----------------

Not only can Dempsey score the goals we are still lacking, IMO, he is also great in his build up play and could work better to get Bent into games. I think if Liverpool cool on him, which might be the case, because I see no reason this deal would not have been wrapped up a long time ago, we could offer him decent enough wages to tempt him to move here and pay a fee of around 5-8 million, which is decent for someone who scored 17 goals last season. Obvioulsy, it would come down to ambition as well, would he really be willing to go to a team that is realistically not going to give him CL football. But hey ho, here is my hoping. And I am sure wiggy agrees with me too! :D

have we ever at any point been linked with Dempsey?

Nothing outside of Goal.com, so nothing credible. However, it is worth noting Depmsey's brother works for Goal.com so they could be a bit more clued in on him.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont see how people can think we will be "fine" this season. A injury or two, a new player that doesnt settle in properly and we could be right back into the relegation fight.

I got faith in lambert, not so much in our players. But hopefully well get another signing or two of QUALITY.

i dont see how people can think we will be "fine" this season. A injury or two, a new player that doesnt settle in properly and we could be right back into the relegation fight.

I got faith in lambert, not so much in our players. But hopefully well get another signing or two of QUALITY.

We've got a good manager, where as last season we had an absolutely awful one. Under even a mediocre manager last season we would not have been in a relegation fight.

Dempsey is unrealistic

Somewhat agree, but he is desperate for a move now and if interest tails off from Liverpool, a team like us could be tempting for him. Say we offer him 50/60k a week, would be a big rise from what I would assume he earns now at Fulham. And we have the pull of his mate Guzan at the club. :winkold:

No disrespect mate, but is this not the problem in the first place, we signed players who were either at peak or just passed their peak on big money deals and were ultimately stuck with them?

Dempsey is unrealistic

Somewhat agree, but he is desperate for a move now and if interest tails off from Liverpool, a team like us could be tempting for him. Say we offer him 50/60k a week, would be a big rise from what I would assume he earns now at Fulham. And we have the pull of his mate Guzan at the club. :winkold:

No disrespect mate, but is this not the problem in the first place, we signed players who were either at peak or just passed their peak on big money deals and were ultimately stuck with them?

I can see where you are coming from mate. But looking at it hypothetically, say we signed Dempsey on 60k a week for a three year deal for a fee of 6million pounds. In those three years he scores at least 10 goals a season and when his deal runs out, he leaves on a free. I think that deal would be good value for money and the problem we had in the past was not necessarily players who are a little bit older on big wages, it was players on big wages contributing nothing/sitting on the bench (i.e. Heskey/Beye)

We've got a good manager, where as last season we had an absolutely awful one. Under even a mediocre manager last season we would not have been in a relegation fight.

I wish I had your optimism! :)

As someone pointed out, lambert spent three years building norwhich up, starting at the lower leagues.

At villa hes had alot less time and there has been a resonable overhaul, alot of things can go wrong. Players might not adjust etc!

Last season I thought there was a bit too much complacency in some players, im sure Lambert wont let that slide now, but the squad is thin and unfortunatley he cant clap his hands to summon more players to replace them.

There has been signs of imrpovement in the pre season games, but is it enough? the other teams will improve aswell!

Really cannot see Dempsey coming here at all... Good player though.

As for being ready for the season? Well it appears midfield is better but we still lack striking options & creativity for me. An injury to Bent & we are really struggling.....again. Having said this i am sure PL will be doing everything possible to rectify the situation... He must see it so will be interesting to see who he brings in....

New LB is surely essential as is another option in attack.

As someone pointed out, lambert spent three years building norwhich up, starting at the lower leagues.

At villa hes had alot less time and there has been a resonable overhaul, alot of things can go wrong. Players might not adjust etc!

Last season I thought there was a bit too much complacency in some players, im sure Lambert wont let that slide now, but the squad is thin and unfortunatley he cant clap his hands to summon more players to replace them.

There has been signs of imrpovement in the pre season games, but is it enough? the other teams will improve aswell!

I'm just being realistic. At the moment we have a midtable (8th-14th) squad. Lambert is a good manager and I'm confident he can get us around 9th-11th. Don't let McLeish affect you too much. Most managers would've had us mid-table mediocrity last seaosn. The squad isn't great but it isn't terrible either.

Still think we are desperate for some physical presence in the CM area. Even getting to the stage where I think Reo Coker would be an option in their.

Need some bite.

Agree think we need a mixture of a Makelele & De Jong type player.

Just can't see PL coming here and not bringing more players in. He had 5-6 targets and we have had 3 signings.

With current number of healthy strikers and wingers and the fact injured players can be out much longer then we think- some one attacking has got to come in.

We won't sign Dempsey as he will have many better options...

Such as? I am not saying that we have a chance but I don't think it's cause of many better options. I doubt he wants to leave England because he has a family and a young child here. No champions league teams in the league are a viable option for Dempsey and if Liverpool don't buy, then it's fair game for a lot of teams.

We won't sign Dempsey as he will have many better options...

Such as? I am not saying that we have a chance but I don't think it's cause of many better options. I doubt he wants to leave England because he has a family and a young child here. No champions league teams in the league are a viable option for Dempsey and if Liverpool don't buy, then it's fair game for a lot of teams.

Yeah, that is what I have been getting at today. The way I see it is Liverpool have the right of first refusal in the signing of Dempsey, yet if they will not meet the fee or decide to look elsewhere, then it opens the door for a team like us or Everton.

Pretty hard to prove that 'Mantis.'

If you consider the same circumstances, injury to Bent, Gabby out of sorts due again to injury or otherwise then we would still have struggled to score goals. Couple that with Petrov's illness, i tend to think, even with a better manager we still would have struggled badly and probably finished in a similar position.