For out of town Villains ........Well mostly

PussEKatt

What made you support the Villa ?

Here is my story.

I used to watch a TV show about cops in London,and in this show there was one detective who came from Birmingham and on nearly every episode the other detectives would sling off at Aston Villa and this guy would stand up for them.

So I decided to find out about Aston Villa, and I read up on them, and the more I read the more interested I got. It took about 2 weeks and I was hooked.

So, that"s my story.

What"s yours ?

What made you support the Villa ?

Here is my story.

I used to watch a TV show about cops in London,and in this show there was one detective who came from Birmingham and on nearly every episode the other detectives would sling off at Aston Villa and this guy would stand up for them.

So I decided to find out about Aston Villa, and I read up on them, and the more I read the more interested I got. It took about 2 weeks and I was hooked.

So, that"s my story.

What"s yours ?

I normally hate people who correct spelling but as it's to do with Villa i have to....we're Villans not Villains, we've done nothing wrong :)

I was about 4 or 5 when Aston Villa had their epic succes in the league and Europa Cup (80-81).

Apparently i watched them on Swedish tv and then it was all i could talk about. My mom came home from studying english in Brighton with a Aston Villa scarf and a flag and since then i've been a Villa fan.

Guess you could say i only like Villa because thet were successfull and because i liked the colour of their kits, but then again i was 5 and still support them so...

The show you are thinking of I think is The Detectives, a comedy with Jasper Carrot and Robert Powell. Carrot is a Big Bluenose and he wrote the script, hence slagging the Villa. Robert Powell played a Manc, supporting Man Ure. It was a comedy after all.

My story,it's in the genes, Dad supported them,so it was inevitable.

I lived around the corner from Villa Park (Albert Road then Bevington Road). Supported them since age of 4 when my uncle took me watch them (FA Cup v Charton.) I used to deliver the Evening Mail to the old Villa Cafe on the corner of Nelson Road (sadly now gone) - used to deliver it to Charlie Tabberner (Villa Caretaker) and to the old scrote Ellis at Villa Park.

Met many a brilliant player in the cafe - they would be smoking and drinking tea/coffee - buggers would keep me there for ages whilst they each took a copy of the mail and read it before letting me go. Rioch,Lochead,Anderson, McMahon, Philips, Rudge and many more.

The show you are thinking of I think is The Detectives, a comedy with Jasper Carrot and Robert Powell. Carrot is a Big Bluenose and he wrote the script, hence slagging the Villa. Robert Powell played a Manc, supporting Man Ure. It was a comedy after all.

No, it wasnt that one.

This program was on TV about 30-35 years ago ( thats how long I have been a Villa fan ) and it was a serious program not a comedy.

As I said this was about Scotland Yard and all the other detectives were Londoners.

No, it wasnt that one.

This program was on TV about 30-35 years ago ( thats how long I have been a Villa fan ) and it was a serious program not a comedy.

Could have been the Professionals - Martin Shaw is a big Villa Fan and played Doyle I think (or was it Brodie) with Gordon Jackson as the scottish boss!

No, it wasnt that one.

Could have been the Professionals - Martin Shaw is a big Villa Fan and played Doyle I think (or was it Brodie) with Gordon Jackson as the scottish boss!

Could have been, I am not sure now ( it was about 30-35 years ago )

One thing I do remember though, on one show one of the other detectives asked. What is Aston Villa ? is that the name of an ice cream ?

I defenately remember that.

When I was a kid I was footie mad, I was the only one in the family who liked football, mom and dad didn't follow it neither did my brother or sister. Only problem was I didn't follow a specific team I just watched anyone and everyone on tv.

Then one year on boxing day my dad said go and get ready your going out, I had no idea where. He took me to his mates house and left me, a taxi came and picked us up, next thing I know I was at Villa Park front row of the holte holding onto the fence.

We played Man Utd and beat them 3-0, what a day!!!

Thanks dad r.i.p

Grew up in Balsall Heath. Dad supported them and took me and my brother along wiht a few of his mates to Villa v Norwich. Bore 0-0 draw. I was so bored but I remember getting Pizza afterwards and thinking I can get used to this match day experience! Next game was a belter and got chills when i walked in to the stadium and the fanfare began playing and Villa came out. Loved that feeling. I haven't felt that chill since beginning of MONs last year.

Grew up in Sunderland surrounded by Sunderland (and Liverpool) supporting mates. Even went to a few Sunderland games at Roker park in the late 80s but never really felt part of it.

Decided to try and support someone completely different to everyone else and not just due to who was successful or where I came from. It was just complete luck that the first match I saw after making the decision was Villa (might have been v Boro not 100% sure). Since then I was hooked. Enjoyed the halcyon days of the early 90s. Competing for the title and winning league cups.

I can remember it seemed like I was the only 13 year old running around in the striped Muller away kit in the entire north east. Got a few dodgy looks playing in that I can tell you :lol:

Paul McGrath's performances for Ireland at Italia 90. The hype around Ireland and that WC was my first real memories of following football - logically just followed McGrath's club side thereafter and have done ever since.

I grew up down the road from Upton Park but never felt any community connection with all the cockney wide boys in my school and family who were West Ham supporters. I was a big football geek in the days of the 'Orbis Football Collection' sticker album and could probably name every team's squad. Of those, my favourite players like Platt (Italia 90 hero vs Belgium) and Daley (unstoppable wing torpedo) drew my attention to Villa.

I can't pinpoint exactly when I knew I was a Villan, but it was probably when watching that 1990 UEFA cup campaign when we were stuffed by Inter. Wasn't that when Pizzi took the ball over the byline before one of their goals?

Â