For out of town Villains ........Well mostly

PussEKatt

My dad wasn't interested in football, so the first influence I had on football were my mates down the road who were Liverpool fans. However, from the age of about 6/7 i wanted to go to a game and was constantly pestering my old man to take me. He agreed that he would on the provisio that it was a local team. He passed me the express star, and said to look at all local teams and choose who I wanted to see. The Villa colours stuck out instantly above the rest and I was drawn to them... From then on I've been nothing but Villa!!

You know what grinds my gears? Villains instead of Villans.

Back on topic, this is when I started supporting Villa. I was 8 and this was the first football match I sat and watched on the telly without getting bored. The following week I had the villa shirt, curtains, bed-sheets, pencil case and bean bag!!

I'm all for pedantry but 'villan' isn't actually a word, is it? It might be a an archaic alternate spelling of 'villain' but personally and from a branding point of view I'd much rather we were called 'The Villains'.

My uncle used to take my Mom to stand on the Holte during the 60s and 70s (she was there when Rangers tried to take the Holte) so she got me into going down the Villa from the age of about 5. Had a season ticket since I was 13, with a few years out for Uni, and still have a season ticket with my Mom even though I now live in Hertfordshire. Even take her to a few away games which is always good fun - she's nearly 60 and only 5ft, but everyone looks out for her.

I was there too, firstly in the Holte, then the Trinity, then the Witton End, finally running for my life and jumping on the back of a moving bus to safety.

I'm all for pedantry but 'villan' isn't actually a word, is it? It might be a an archaic alternate spelling of 'villain' but personally and from a branding point of view I'd much rather we were called 'The Villains'.

Yes, i always till recently considered myself to be a Villain :twisted:

Older Brother and Dad both support Arsenal , so the first game of football I went to see was at Highbury ...Arsenal v Villa in 1978

Malcolm Macdonald scored a bullet header own goal and Villa won 1-0

I supported Villa to annoy my brother

When they were young, my Dad and uncle loved football but didn't support anyone, so they drew names out of a hat. My Dad got Villa and my Uncle got Man Utd, so I was always brought up on Villa.

He did actually give me a chance to stop supporting them when we lost 4-3 against Liverpool in that Worthington Cup game, as I was pretty despondent. But I decided I wanted to stay with Villa. Best decision I ever made.

What made you support the Villa ?

Here is my story.

I used to watch a TV show about cops in London,and in this show there was one detective who came from Birmingham and on nearly every episode the other detectives would sling off at Aston Villa and this guy would stand up for them.

So I decided to find out about Aston Villa, and I read up on them, and the more I read the more interested I got. It took about 2 weeks and I was hooked.

So, that"s my story.

What"s yours ?

I normally hate people who correct spelling but as it's to do with Villa i have to....we're Villans not Villains, we've done nothing wrong :)

Actually, it's both.

Have you never seen a pic of the Villa Villain? I want it tattooed but I'm still looking for an artist of the required quality.

Edit - This fella....

71039_52305304527_8178224_n.jpg

From the fingers of the Villa chronicler: We're villans not villains

Agreed, that was the original nickname. Explain the Villain then?

Regardless of the era it was first concocted it IS acceptable to use the term Villain with an "I". It carries history and hence weight.

It grinds my gears that people get wound up about it.

Surely it's just a clever play on words, so it's Villan? I agree that it's not exactly something to get upset about though.

Indeed.

However, you cannot deny the fella above exists. I'd love to know his origins.

The Villa Villain that is.

It was 1992 and I supported Tottenham (only because they had Gascoigne and Lineker playing for them at the time.) Villa beat Tottenham in the FA cup so I decided to support them instead. Villa went on to be beaten by Liverpool (coincidently a team I supported at primary school as they won everything) in the quarter final.This was also the first year of the premier league and this was exciting to me. The following year still supporting Villa was very arousing as The Villans 'nearly' won the title... The rest is history. 20 years on I could NEVER switch sides again, even if Villa played my home town Torquay I would not be routing for Torquay United.

I liked the name.

True storey.

Did it sound to you like a lovely spa?

As you'll probably be aware from my username, I'm a fan of Villa and Ajax, this is because before I was born, my Dutch nan (who was a big fan of Ajax) got my brother into supporting Ajax (our Dad doesn't like football so we didn't have any input from him like most would) but as we live in England and it was harder to follow a foreign team in the 80s compared to now so my brother started following Arsenal as well based on the fact they had similar kits.

Anyway, eventually Arsenal sold his favourite plater (Kevin Richardson) and he was so upset (in a childish way) he decided he would support the next team to beat Arsenal, who happened to be Villa. During that summer I was born so I grew up being made to support Villa and Ajax.

Started following Villa when Milan Baros signed. It was pretty easy to watch the games so I watched the full season even when Baros wasn't playing. Started liking the team a lot and wanted to see Villa win. Next season Baros got hurt but I still watched and then he was sold. I was sad to see Baros go but I still watched Villa and Gabby Agbonlahor started becoming one of my favorite players. I was also a pretty big fan of Barry's. I really liked watching him play so I remained a Villa fan. Now I am still here supporting Villa.

Something about Villa was a little different. I occasionally watch Arsenal games to watch Rosicky play but I am not too interested in the club. I really don't care how they do as long as Rosicky does well.

Â