No Longer Interested: (Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - Molde FK)

VillaGoMarching

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 more pages since I went to bed, the cold light of day and a cup of coffee leads to..... loads of positivity and a handful of notes of caution. What's going on?! This is too good to be true :shock:

If we're onto the "expectations" discussion then I reckon this is pretty simple. Last season we played aimless, dire, boring football which led to poor results, angry fans, and an entertainment index score that much have been negative.

If OGS comes along, gets the team playing as if they're already winners, takes the game to the opponents, actually tries to score, etc etc - then I can't believe for one second we'd be finishing any lower than we did. And that'd be progress for me.

Like most people have already said, the biggest positive in this is that OGS appears to have galvanised the fans and it's an opportunity for the club to get every fan coming to VP with a sense of optimism and enthusiasm. You know things are wrong when you turn up to watch us play Bolton at home thinking that we'll be lucky to get out of it with a point. With OGS we'll probably be turning up thinking we can turn Citeh over.

I'm not at all against OGS but it's a bigger than average risk, one I'm surprised the RL is even contemplating.

Personally I still don't think it will come to anything, not sure why just a feeling but the message that this does send to me is that the club are looking much wider than the likes of Mcarthy and Co thankfully.

Being realistic I doubt we would get AVB and even if we did the minute he shows everyone just how good he is my guess is he would be off so my 1st choice would still be Lambert as I really feel he and Villa would be a perfect fit.

He is a professional guy don't forget, he has got to say he is still manager of Molde, which he is, incase something happens that he doesn't get the job. Hopefully, it is just the drawing up of contracts etc, compensation agreed with Molde and then the deal will be done and announced.

As much as I want Ole I have to agree with Richard as I think the calibre of candidates iia high this time around.

I agree with both B6 and Richard that the standard of candidates is higher this time.

Ole would appear to be the least experienced guy on our shortlist. However, Lambert and Rodgers were considered too inexperienced last year and now they have been looked at by a bigger club than us.

Ole may be a risky appointment but I get the feeling that if we aren't prepared to take that risk now, any further success by OSG at Molde would attract the attention of bigger clubs than us next season.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this .... with hindsight the time to have signed Martinez/Lambert/Rodgers would have been last summer, before they became media darlings. It would have been seen as risky then and a brave or stupid thing to do, but with hindsight it would have benefitted us tremendously.

We have the opportunity to get in first with Ole, it may not work out but we should be prepared to take the risk imo. We need some excitement at Villa after a mind numbing two and a half seasons. Ole could be the catalyst that makes it happen!

UTV!!!!

unfortunately i think fergie could play a big part in this

....which I think could be helpful to us if that is the case.

Two days ago I was dead set on Lambert. Since watching that documentary and reading up on OGS though I would be really disappointed if we didn't get him and in fact got my original choice who I also stand to win money off!!

One of the main reasons I'm excited about the prospect of OGS is because it's a risk. The board are taking a gamble and it's one that I think is worth taking.

Don't you think the board took a gamble when they appointed Eck?

They did, but wrong question:

Do you think they knew they were taking a big risk?

8 more pages since I went to bed, the cold light of day and a cup of coffee leads to..... loads of positivity and a handful of notes of caution. What's going on?! This is too good to be true :shock:

If we're onto the "expectations" discussion then I reckon this is pretty simple. Last season we played aimless, dire, boring football which led to poor results, angry fans, and an entertainment index score that much have been negative.

If OGS comes along, gets the team playing as if they're already winners, takes the game to the opponents, actually tries to score, etc etc - then I can't believe for one second we'd be finishing any lower than we did. And that'd be progress for me.

Like most people have already said, the biggest positive in this is that OGS appears to have galvanised the fans and it's an opportunity for the club to get every fan coming to VP with a sense of optimism and enthusiasm. You know things are wrong when you turn up to watch us play Bolton at home thinking that we'll be lucky to get out of it with a point. With OGS we'll probably be turning up thinking we can turn Citeh over.

Exactly Moose. OGS or a similar "vibrant" appointment will improve our belief, a positive change in our style of play and a general feeling of optimism.This will mean we can emulate Everton's ability to take points off the top 5, rather than the embarassing surrenders of this season. Obviously, excluding the false dawn of Chelsea away.

unfortunately i think fergie could play a big part in this

....which I think could be helpful to us if that is the case.

this scenario worries me

fergie recommends his good friend eck.

eck gets the sack and talks to fergie about fans and bad eggs etc.

fergie gets call from ogs and passes on what he's heard from eck.

all hypothetical i know but you can see where i'm coming from.

Have stayed out of the debate concerning Solskjaer due to the points that Richard has made. Pretty much mass hysteria on here without little though as to the present qualifications Solskjaer has to become our manager.

He has been successful in a Mickey Mouse league and due to one Youtube interview he has now become flavour of the month above Lambert, Rodgers, Martinez and anyone else who has been previously mentioned.

That is not to say that he wouldn't be successful here but if given the job, our chairman is taking a massive risk with our club. Solskjaer wouldn't be coming to a settled club with a good squad of players who would secure him the time to get up to speed with the Premiership. He would be taking over a poor squad of players threatened by relegation over the past two seasons and if rumours are to be believed, a split dressing room with a total lack of discipline.

With that in mind i believe we need someone more experienced who can hit the ground running, weeding out the trouble makers and revolutionizing our club from top to bottom.

Is that really the job for a second time manager who's only experience to fall back on is that of a second rate scandinavian league?

In short, this job, is much too big for Solskjaer at the moment.

One of the main reasons I'm excited about the prospect of OGS is because it's a risk. The board are taking a gamble and it's one that I think is worth taking.

Don't you think the board took a gamble when they appointed Eck?

They did, but wrong question:

Do you think they knew they were taking a big risk?

That's what concerned me the most about the Eck appointment. Listening to interviews at the time Faulkner seemed to think that Eck was actually a good manager, with a proven record.

With that in mind i believe we need someone more experienced who can hit the ground running.

We tried that and it didn't work out... twice.

It didn't work out with GH due to his health and McLeish was just a very poor appointment doomed to failure from the start so can't see what you are getting at here? :?

Solskjaer would raise the profile of the club more than any other of the candidates and I think he would gain the most respect from our players because of what he achieved not so long ago.

Maybe he could convince Gary Neville to come and coach our defenders too.

I think we should have signed him up there and then, Rodgers wont leave Swansea, Martinez will go elsewhere and Lambert is not the right man at all.