Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

I think we have decent depth at the striker position. Weimann is a great talent and almost scored a couple against Swansea. Benteke is a bit raw but he looks like a great striker in the making. Then we have Bent who is our best striker. Agbonlahor has competition ahead of him but this is good. Our strikers know they will have to be scoring to keep playing which only benefits us.

Gabby should have been on for Bent towards the end of that Swansea game. Bent was having a rough game and was screwing up all his interplay with Benteke.

Bent played well against Swansea

People do see different things, yeh screwed it up alright he laid one on a plate and then played Benteke if that is screwing up interplay, god knows what you expect.
Bent setup Benteke with a sitter and won a flick on which resulted (after a mistake by the defender) in his goal, all in the last 5 minutes, so I don't agree that Bent should have gone off.
He pointlessly took a header off Benteke's head and surrendered possession with some rapist first touch after a pass from Benteke a couple of times. I expect marquee strikers not to do that, so...? The defender's screwup for the goal can hardly be attributed to Bent.
He had a middling game, if I'm generous. Nothing special apart from 2 handy crosses. That's literally all he did.

He pointlessly took a header off Benteke's head and surrendered possession with some rapist first touch after a pass from Benteke a couple of times

that's just 2 strikers new to each other really, there'll be plenty of those mess ups from both parties

I'm sure they'll all grow in terms of understanding eachother's play, but before we got given a bit of a gift we were still only one goal to the good and nothing seemed to be coming off between Bent and Benteke. It would have been nice to bring on Gabby to see if he generated a bit of instant, Carew-style link up. Especially since Gabby looked very good when coming on vs Newcastle.

eh? in the 20 or so minutes they played together bent set up benteke for a sitter, sent across another great ball that the defender just managed to get a head on otherwise benteke was powering it in from 6 yards out, and they combined (with help from the defender) for the goal.

aside from a couple of wtf moments from bent in terms of mis control, they actually linked up pretty well. benteke is a natural target and occupies defenders just with his sheer size, and playing him allows bent to move back to playing off the shoulder of defenders/making runs etc which is what he is best at. alongside weimann he is playing the deeper targetman, which doesnt suit him as much.

of course it would be good at some point to see a 433 and a trio of bent, benteke and gabby all up top :)

Those are the 2 handy crosses I mentioned, which were nice but still didn't make Bent irreplaceable, any more than the half dozen missed sitters Gabby provided for Bent last season made Gabby irreplaceable. Bent's wtf moments are what I'm talking about, since they were played into feet and Bent still messed up his touch due to lack of concentration.

Benteke's goal shouldn't go down as link up play or combination... it's just an unforced error (and a great finish). So in 20 minutes, as long as Benteke doesn't whiff the sitter, you'd have one potentially complete pass resulting in a real chance. But then Benteke still whiffed the sitter, so he wasn't reading what Bent was doing either - not great link up. Not saying they won't link up better in future, but in my book we wanted Gabby on at that stage to see what he offered.

i think 4, if not 5, of our strikers will have an important part to play this season... and gabby will be as important a weapon at PL's disposal as any of the others....

can't wait to see him running at, and terrorising, defences again...

People do see different things, yeh screwed it up alright he laid one on a plate and then played Benteke if that is screwing up interplay, god knows what you expect.
Bent setup Benteke with a sitter and won a flick on which resulted (after a mistake by the defender) in his goal, all in the last 5 minutes, so I don't agree that Bent should have gone off.
He pointlessly took a header off Benteke's head and surrendered possession with some rapist first touch after a pass from Benteke a couple of times. I expect marquee strikers not to do that, so...? The defender's screwup for the goal can hardly be attributed to Bent.
He had a middling game, if I'm generous. Nothing special apart from 2 handy crosses. That's literally all he did.

Again I wasn't even on about the header for the goal, I'm on about where Bent put him in and Benteke had a deflected shot wide, then he laid one on a plate for him.

Those are the 2 handy crosses I mentioned, which were nice but still didn't make Bent irreplaceable, any more than the half dozen missed sitters Gabby provided for Bent last season made Gabby irreplaceable. Bent's wtf moments are what I'm talking about, since they were played into feet and Bent still messed up his touch due to lack of concentration.

Benteke's goal shouldn't go down as link up play or combination... it's just an unforced error (and a great finish). So in 20 minutes, as long as Benteke doesn't whiff the sitter, you'd have one potentially complete pass resulting in a real chance. But then Benteke still whiffed the sitter, so he wasn't reading what Bent was doing either - not great link up. Not saying they won't link up better in future, but in my book we wanted Gabby on at that stage to see what he offered.

So again you missed the pass through to Benteke, or did you miss it by blinking. What about Benteke miss-placed pass to Bent, it happens he played well and worked hard for the side, however we have to have certain sections of support who hammer him for his work-rate are now hammering for his lack of goals when it was the other way, they hammered him for his work-rate. Like as previously mentioned it's great competition, and I can't remember where we've had such quality strikers at the club.

So again you missed the pass through to Benteke, or did you miss it by blinking. What about Benteke miss-placed pass to Bent, it happens he played well and worked hard for the side, however we have to have certain sections of support who hammer him for his work-rate are now hammering for his lack of goals when it was the other way, they hammered him for his work-rate. Like as previously mentioned it's great competition, and I can't remember where we've had such quality strikers at the club.
It's not competition for Bent if he's never getting swapped out as long as he's available. You talk about Bent getting fans on his back, but I can think of 7-8 players who routinely take far more flak than Bent does even when he's not producing. He was part of several fluff up moments which would have seen someone like Ireland get dog's abuse, yet apparently that's not even enough impetus to bring on Gabby for the last 15 minutes...?

Â