Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

I think the problem with Gabby has always been that he's a bit useless when he's carrying a knock. He's just not the type of player made to play the whole season. That might sem like a luxury but it isn't as if we're paying him outrageous wages. When he's on form, he's as dangerous as anyone.

Hopefully, with finally some depth at striker and a few players that have unique roles, Gabby can come on and play fit and we can sit him down when he's tired or carrying a knock. It's the best of both worlds.

Gabby's form surprisingly dipped when he was struggling with injuries, being played out of position and playing in a shit team.

He has always had bad games but if Lambert plays him to his strengths and he is fit he will perform.

THIS

he like Stephen Ireland is a player that everyone thinks they have a really balanced and informative opinion on.

all we need from gabby is to be a genuine weapon at PL's disposal, in a group of attackers who will all scare defences if called upon...

Gabby, DB9, Benteke and Andi Weimann all offer genuinely different sets of skills, and on their day are all worthy of a start...

At the top of their games, four international standard strikers, two of whom are young and starting their international careers...

Looks like PL is starting to get them back to performing at a high level...

What a great position for us to be in, if PL can get each of them back to that level...

UTV

Why not play Gabby in Ireland's spot, just with more free reign to play as a striker when required. That way you can play two of Weimann, Benteke and Bent. Delph, Herd, Bannan etc. will still get games.

Deffo - when Gabby's in the form he was in the other night he's not unlike Rooney in the role that he plays, running at defences from deep and bringing in the other striker.

I reckon it's why he thrived under O'Neill's system - he was able to burst forward from deep as we caught teams on the break.

The psychology of competing against your team mates for a chance to play seems to help Gabby perform. Bent has played with this type of pressure when he was at Spurs, it will be interesting to see how he responds to it at Villa.

I would put my money on Gabby and Bent being played up front togethor as our first choice strike force, at least against the Baggies..... UTV

I love it when Gabby rams words down throats, its alright though next time he has a dip in form you'll see the fools on here talking about how shite he is and that we need to get rid! Very pleased! Seen him do this many a time.

yeah, that's the problem. we've seen too many false dawns from gabby...

he's done this time and again in 4-5 game patches, the disappeared for the rest of the season

Well the good thing under Lambert is if that happens he'll be on the bench and Weimann, Benteke or CNZ will be playing.

As long as they all stay fit, we have some decent attacking options I think.

Why not play Gabby in Ireland's spot, just with more free reign to play as a striker when required. That way you can play two of Weimann, Benteke and Bent. Delph, Herd, Bannan etc. will still get games.

Deffo - when Gabby's in the form he was in the other night he's not unlike Rooney in the role that he plays, running at defences from deep and bringing in the other striker.

I reckon it's why he thrived under O'Neill's system - he was able to burst forward from deep as we caught teams on the break.

They don't call me the Football Professor for nothing*. I think Gabby's general play is good enough and well-suited enough to do Ireland's job, or pretty close, but with the added bonus of pace and ability to score actual goals. Saying that, hope SI gets well soon, I like him as a player fwiw.

*or, indeed, at all.

Gabby's form surprisingly dipped when he was struggling with injuries, being played out of position and playing in a shit team.

He has always had bad games but if Lambert plays him to his strengths and he is fit he will perform.

THIS

he like Stephen Ireland is a player that everyone thinks they have a really balanced and informative opinion on.

:thumb:

The stick Gabby gets is unfortunate considering he has had injury problems and of course working under the previous two bonehead managers.

They don't call me the Football Professor for nothing*. I think Gabby's general play is good enough and well-suited enough to do Ireland's job, or pretty close, but with the added bonus of pace and ability to score actual goals. Saying that, hope SI gets well soon, I like him as a player fwiw.

*or, indeed, at all.

I'm sure Houllier experimented with him in that position in a pre-season, and I seem to recall him being a bit poo there tbh. Houllier then moved him to RB.

I don't like the idea of Gabby playing the Ireland role because he's not technically good enough to play there.

There's no reason why he can't just be played up front with the license to drop deep(ish) when the time is right. I personally think that Agbonlahor and Benteke would give a lot of defences hell because of their physical qualities. It gives us a really good option. I think we should start them both against the Baggies.

What was that bullshit question from SS reporter saying fans were saying it's time for Gabby to move on????

on ssn

a LOT of us were!

the problem with Gabby is he's totally inconsistent. He scored 2 the other night, and now might score another 8 before Christmas. But then he goes AWOL until the following season. That's just the way it is with him, up til now anyway.

if he can't sort that out, like a LOT of others on here i'd listen to offers over 8m

it's really up to him

Â