Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Like it or not Gabby has been one of most loyal, consistent, longest serving and best performers over the years, scoring more important goals than any other player.

Granted there aren't many others to compare him to because the general quality of our team and ability to retain decent players or not fall out with them has dropped like a stone in recent years.

I would rather he played and had one or two spells of awesome unplayable ness a season than a whole season of being just above average.

I think he is massively under appreciated and dogged by niggling and persistent injuries that seem to hamper his performances as well as our own utterly random attacking tactics.

• Like 3

We're into the middle of November and he still hasn't scored. I know he's out injured now but clearly that is not good enough if you are a striker.

He won a penalty, I know it doesn't show up as a goal but he deserves more credit for that goal than benteke who got the official goal. One of my pet peeves if soccer stat keeping

Like it or not Gabby has been one of most loyal, consistent, longest serving and best performers over the years, scoring more important goals than any other player.

He has been anything other then consistent. Unless you mean consistently a half-season performer of course.

Edited by Isa

Granted there aren't many others to compare him to because the general quality of our team and ability to retain decent players or not fall out with them has dropped like a stone in recent years.

I would rather he played and had one or two spells of awesome unplayable ness a season than a whole season of being just above average.

I think he is massively under appreciated and dogged by niggling and persistent injuries that seem to hamper his performances as well as our own utterly random attacking tactics.

I think he was poorly advised when he suddenly bulked up that one season as well

Replying to BOF: must have done something wrong?

Sorry, it wasn't very good grammar, granted...I was trying to say we run with mediocre players for too long ( generalisation). Vassell was a limited player in comparison to some of the ones we have had over the years.

Gabby, is a better version, but still goes too many consecutive games without scoring.

Don't really buy all the local boy stuff, yea its nice and fluffy, but most of the stand out players villa have ever had, had no allegiance to us before they came....They just done the business and made us famous.

There is really no sentiment in football, Either you want to win or plod along.

When someone is being paid huge sums of money its amazing how loyal they can be....look I'm not having a go at the lad, I like him, but the " love in" with him is a bit much at times, if he was a shearer or Andy Gray type I could much more understand it. I do genuinely believe he is Villa through and through, but anyone would be scoring c10 goals a season and getting paid a fortune.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Vassell was a limited player in comparison to some of the ones we have had over the years.

Gabby, is a better version, but still goes too many consecutive games without scoring.

That only becomes a problem if you class him as a striker. I personally don't.

He has played far more games out wide than he has up top for us.

The amount of work he does in tracking back I personally see him as a wide midfield player.

Given the above I'd say a return of 76 goals in 269 starts is pretty decent. He has also created a fair few goals in his time and over the last 7 years scored some of our most crucial goals.

Is he good enough for a top side? no he isn't. For where we are at that though he is still easily good enough. In fact I would say he is good enough for a side finishing just outside the top 4/5. He proved he was in fact by being an almost ever present and crucial player for us in the three seasons we finished sixth.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

I get he doesn't score enough, but I think his overall contribution and assists can't be sniffed at, but agree it is right to want more from him - as we know what he is capable of.

It is no coincidence that his injuries and poor form seems to have impacted Benteke and vice versa. So far either one has been recovering from injury and short of match fitness or just injured.

I think he was poorly advised when he suddenly bulked up that one season as well

totally agree with this also

Isn't that a bit like a defender saying " I don't really stop goals now"...." I just close players down and let the rest of the lads stop them"

...sorry, just not buying all that.

Its like a salesman, who is no longer selling his quota, saying " I just prospect these days" ....." I leave the closing to the other lads"...question " have you took a pay cut then, on that basis......WHAT!!!!!!

Isn't that a bit like a defender saying " I don't really stop goals now"...." I just close players down and let the rest of the lads stop them"

...sorry, just not buying all that.

Its like a salesman, who is no longer selling his quota, saying " I just prospect these days" ....." I leave the closing to the other lads"...question " have you took a pay cut then, on that basis......WHAT!!!!!!

Worst attempt ever at trying to make a comparison. Huge fail.

So err no it's nothing like what you say.

• Like 1

He still got 9 goals last season in about 25 games so 1 in 3 which compares him to most strikers we've had down the years.

I think he's just paying the price for playing so much so young. I think it was something ridiculous like February in his debut season before he even missed a game for us and you can count on one hand the amount of games he missed in MON's 4 seasons. Eventually the body starts to break down.

Sorry, Mark we will agree to disagree.

As for a poor attempt at a comparison, that's down to interpretation, if you don't agree it's only natural that line will be rolled out...but I'm pretty sure Villa 007 knows what I mean.

Just been watching Oscar,, does'nt seem to stop him scoring, not playing down the middle.....Gabby has played down the middle and still made little difference to his scoring regularity.

I think 76 goals in 269 is moving away from my point.... Which is scoring goals at crucial times and with some sort of regularity.

I'm saying 10 goals a season with long spells of no goals is not great for a player up front getting c 60 grand a week.....not great value for me.

He still got 9 goals last season in about 25 games so 1 in 3 which compares him to most strikers we've had down the years.

I think he's just paying the price for playing so much so young. I think it was something ridiculous like February in his debut season before he even missed a game for us and you can count on one hand the amount of games he missed in MON's 4 seasons. Eventually the body starts to break down.

Some midfielders, get that.

Look I know I'm being critical of the "terrace Crown Jewels" but that's my view.

I think gabby would be quite impressive in a better team even though he is slightly inconsistent and frustrating to watch at times. He has pace and big goals in him and has shown that he can play multiple roles on the field. That being said, we are growing slowly as a team and I hope that he can help us get to the top. Who knows in football, maybe he will get his moment and become a legend.

Also though he may not be worth 10 million, I do believe he would be a steal at 3-5 million.

Don't forget he's never taken a penalty for us.

I know they all count and scoring a penalty isn't easy a lot of the time but that can be good to boost artificially a strikers goalscoring tally, Darren Bent did this in TSM's season and Carew did this in 09/10.

All gabby's goals come in open play.

Â