Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Agree with the sentiments above and Gabby probably should have been given a run out when there were injuries but generally speaking i don't think he's consistently better than Ricky Lambert, Sturridge, Welbeck or indeed anywhere near Rooney so where could you fit him into the squad going to the World Cup?

You could bring him in as more of a utility player also covering wide positions but i can't see that happening now either with the arrival of Townsend.

I really don't think theres any prejudice against our club from present or past England international managers its really just that there are better players available to choose from and the present England manager has proven his choice has been right with World Cup qualification. 

In the sun today saying he really wants to play for England and will try to improve over the season to get on the plane to rio

Won't happen. Roy Hodgson doesn't know Aston Vlla exist.
If Gabby scores more than 10 goals this season from the LF position and we finish top 10, Roy will pick him. Same with Delph.

I think welbeck needs to be decapitated before gabby gets a look in. When there was the striker injury problem, gabby probably deserved a call up, but overall he is too inconsistent for England (but then other players are a joke)

Well gabby should just have a word In benteke's ear. I'm sure he could take care of the decapitation.

Agree with the sentiments above and Gabby probably should have been given a run out when there were injuries but generally speaking i don't think he's consistently better than Ricky Lambert, Sturridge, Welbeck or indeed anywhere near Rooney so where could you fit him into the squad going to the World Cup?

You could bring him in as more of a utility player also covering wide positions but i can't see that happening now either with the arrival of Townsend.

I really don't think theres any prejudice against our club from present or past England international managers its really just that there are better players available to choose from and the present England manager has proven his choice has been right with World Cup qualification. 

Defoe and Carroll have both been called up relatively recently and neither of them are better than Gabby.

And you say that his choice has been "proven right" but that doesn't mean the England manager shouldn't strive for more improvement. I have no idea how Cleverley for example gets called up over Delph.

Sure it might be nice to have the odd Villa player in the England squad, but is it worth it having Gabby as 5th choice striker or Delph as 8-9th choice midfielder coming back tired and unfocused having missed part of the pre season.

It'll be a big experience for the players going to the World Cup, but for Aston Villa it might be better if they stay here instead of being unused subs who realistically only have a chance of playing if the rest of the squad gets food poisoning.

With Benteke it's another story, he'll play a big part for Belgium and sadly probably won't be here at the start of next season

EDIT: Im sure not being English is partly why i feel this way...

Edited by sne

Gabby is not a striker anymore thats why he isnt getting called up as a striker. as for people saying better than Welbeck, when fit he starts every week for biggest team in England and comfortable league winners last season

Defoe and Carroll have both been called up relatively recently and neither of them are better than Gabby.

And you say that his choice has been "proven right" but that doesn't mean the England manager shouldn't strive for more improvement. I have no idea how Cleverley for example gets called up over Delph.

By stating 'that doesn't mean the England manager shouldn't strive for more improvement' you are stating that Gabby is better than Defoe and Carroll and Delph is better than Cleverley?

If that is so it really doesn't matter that i disagree with you on that. What matters is that the England manager disagree's with you and you'll excuse me if i prefer his opinion to yours.

Gabby is not a striker anymore thats why he isnt getting called up as a striker. as for people saying better than Welbeck, when fit he starts every week for biggest team in England and comfortable league winners last season

Thats a fair point Zatman.

The only way i'd see Gabby getting into the England squad for the World Cup is as a utility player. One who can play upfront and in a wide position but as alluded to in a previous post the arrival of Townend probably has put paid to that. 

One other reason why he probably isn't being selected is that against international defences you need better movement off the ball to make space not only for yourself but your team mates and that isn't one of Gabby's best attributes. 

By stating 'that doesn't mean the England manager shouldn't strive for more improvement' you are stating that Gabby is better than Defoe and Carroll and Delph is better than Cleverley?

If that is so it really doesn't matter that i disagree with you on that. What matters is that the England manager disagree's with you and you'll excuse me if i prefer his opinion to yours.

Delph is better no question. Gabby would be much more useful than Defoe or Carroll as he's more of a wide striker these days. But by your logic, if Alex McLeish was England manager and was calling Heskey over Rooney, then Heskey is better.

Yes I do believe that at this moment in time they are better, and I don't think it's a stretch either.

Pretty strange logic that is. Presumably you'd still prefer his opinion if he dropped Lambert once Carroll is fit again?

Delph is better no question. Gabby would be much more useful than Defoe or Carroll as he's more of a wide striker these days. But by your logic, if Alex McLeish was England manager and was calling Heskey over Rooney, then Heskey is better.

Who is the better player is a fruitless argument in these cases as there would be very little objectivity shown by supporters of the teams those players play for.

Your second point is however more interesting as it would suggest by your logic that Alex McLeish would become England manager and secondly that McLeish as bad a manager as he is, would then select Heskey over Rooney in the first place. 

Odd logic indeed but whatever.

Yes I do believe that at this moment in time they are better, and I don't think it's a stretch either.

Pretty strange logic that is. Presumably you'd still prefer his opinion if he dropped Lambert once Carroll is fit again?

As i've alluded to above arguing who is the better player is going to be influenced by biase. Its who the England manager wants in his team and his selections have been justified by qualifying for the World Cup.

As i've alluded to above arguing who is the better player is going to be influenced by biase. Its who the England manager wants in his team and his selections have been justified by qualifying for the World Cup.

Just because we qualified (in a group we were strong favourites in anyway) doesn't mean he can't be criticised for some of his selections.

On that basis, why should we take any notice of your opinion on Lambert's decisions? After all, unless you can prove you're better qualified (hindsight doesn't count ;) ), you'll excuse many of us if we prefer his opinion to yours.

Every midtable team has one or two English players who the fans think it is a travesty that the England manager hasn't called them up. Imagon the size of the England squad if he somehow was able to bring them all in :P

We aren't the only ones who have been calling for Gabby for England.

Â