All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

55 minutes ago, bickster said:

That simply isn't true

As yet there is not a single shred of evidence of Jesus' existence. Not one

Is this really true?

genuine question. I was always under the impression that Jesus did exist and it was pretty much accepted as truth. 

Obviously whether he was the son of god is the bit up for debate!

again genuine question, I’m interested. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Is this really true?

genuine question. I was always under the impression that Jesus did exist and it was pretty much accepted as truth. 

It's really true

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Is this really true?

The lecture posted in this thread a while back discusses that. On the historicity of Jesus. No shred of evidence. There may well have been some chap who was an inspiration for some of the later stories, but that's just speculation 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A'Villan said:

@Brumerican:

1. What do you think of the overwhelming majority of scholars (atheist included) agreeing that Jesus not only existed, but that his disciples had experiences in which they thought he had arisen from the dead?

Simply NOT TRUE . Where on earth did you come across that info >

2. Do you think Christianity is a bastardisation of an Egyptian/Sumerian religion?

Absolutely yes. The similarities are pretty blatant

3. Do you think consciousness is a by-product of the human brain, operating in a way similar to a generator, when broken the electricity ceases to be produced, or that consciousness' relationship is more like a t.v signal to a t.v, when the t.v is broken, the signal remains?

Consciousness isn't some mystical concept beyond our comprehension . It falls very squarely underneath the umbrella of neuroscience. Your brain is a biological computer so when the power gets cut off the computer stops working. 

I would invite anyone to answer these questions.

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Agnostic *

Unless you believe in EVERY deity ever invented then there is a degree of atheism in you .

Even people who believe are agnostic as there's no evidence.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Is this really true?

Jesus is a Mexican name for starters! Big giveaway right there.

Seriously though , mentions of Jesus are only found in the Greek gospels which were written decades after the supposed life of Jesus and a brief mention In Josephus writings a century later.  

(Josephus was a Roman and it was those very Romans who  modified Christianity to be used as a free babysitting service by the rulers.)

The evidence for Jesus as a historical figure is in no way a fact .

I find it strange that people would take these "eyewitness" accounts as fact when they were written in a different language to that spoken in the area and were also written decades after the events . (Then they were altered severely by the church)

Humans can't even provide reliable eyewitness testimony for a car crash they witnessed last Thursday.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Jesus is a Mexican name for starters! Big giveaway right there.

Seriously though , mentions of Jesus are only found in the Greek gospels which were written decades after the supposed life of Jesus and a brief mention In Josephus writings a century later.  

(Josephus was a Roman and it was those very Romans who  modified Christianity to be used as a free babysitting service by the rulers.)

The evidence for Jesus as a historical figure is in no way a fact .

Well I assumed the Spanish/Mexican use of Jesus came after Jesus “existed” given how Christian most Spanish speaking countries are. 

Interesting stuff though. I’ll read more about the “evidence”

• Like 1

On the subject of religious/science collaboration, I only recently found out that it was Georges Lemaître, a Belgian Catholic priest, who theorised that the universe was expanding. He referred to the Big Bang theory as “the cosmic egg”. I thought it was interesting.

I wonder if/when one day Christianity will be accepted as a mythology rather than a religion, like how the Greek gods are thought of. 

I mean, yeah it’s all bollocks, but at least Zeus and the gang are a lot more fun.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well I assumed the Spanish/Mexican use of Jesus came after Jesus “existed” given how Christian most Spanish speaking countries are. 

Interesting stuff though. I’ll read more about the “evidence”

Dude has a Doctorate in Ancient History and spent 6 years working on the very subject .

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I wonder if/when one day Christianity will be accepted as a mythology rather than a religion, like how the Greek gods are thought of. 

It's already treated as a myth by billions of non Christians. If the local Jews circa 33AD weren't convinced by it then why would anybody else be?

Edited by Brumerican

2 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

It's already treated as a myth by billions of non Christians. If the local Jews circa 33AD weren't convinced by it then why would anybody else be?

Yeah I meant completely thought of like Greek mythology is now. 

Just now, Brumerican said:

Yeah one day for sure . 

It's already on the way out .

is that true though?

Maybe there are less in Bromsgrove than there were 100 years ago. But I think across the planet there are 3 times more now than there were 100 years ago.

Plus, they've tapped in to the parts of the world with higher birth rates and 'growth'. So yeah, in the old world there are less of the Spanish having christian offspring. But in the grand scheme of things, it's Mexico, Nigeria and China etc., where the action's at.

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

is that true though?

Maybe there are less in Bromsgrove than there were 100 years ago. But I think across the planet there are 3 times more now than there were 100 years ago.

Plus, they've tapped in to the parts of the world with higher birth rates and 'growth'. So yeah, in the old world there are less of the Spanish having christian offspring. But in the grand scheme of things, it's Mexico, Nigeria and China etc., where the action's at.

There has been a huge decline in nearly all developed nations but as Christianity has always done, it will focus it's attentions on the poorest and least educated populations .

Eventually Nigeria, Mexico and China will wise up . It's inevitable . 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

There has been a huge decline in nearly all developed nations but as Christianity has always done, it will focus it's attentions on the poorest and least educated populations .

Eventually Nigeria, Mexico and China will wise up . It's inevitable . 

'Yes that was my point about developed nations or old europe, there are less christians as a per centage of total population and a dropping birth rate. Although there's a bit of a revival I guess in all those countries that were once briefly communist and now have a bit more freedom. I think maybe there's a resurgence in Russia and Poland etc.. But small beer when compared with the likes of The Philippines and its super churches.

Even in America, once there would have been a quiet presumption of church going to give the important impression of being normal. Now (according to gallup) 58% of southern states americans would not only claim to be christian but 'born again' christians.

On a quick google and wiki, there were an estimated 660 million christians after the First World War, there are now 2,200,000,000 identifying as christian. Eventually might be a very long way off. Eventually the sun will swell up and consume solar system. But I'm not going to cancel next year's holiday.

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

'Yes that was my point about developed nations or old europe, there are less christians as a per centage of total population and a dropping birth rate. Although there's a bit of a revival I guess in all those countries that were once briefly communist and now have a bit more freedom. I think maybe there's a resurgence in Russia and Poland etc.. But small beer when compared with the likes of The Philippines and its super churches.

Even in America, once there would have been a quiet presumption of church going to give the important impression of being normal. Now (according to gallup) 58% of southern states americans would not only claim to be christian but 'born again' christians.

On a quick google and wiki, there were an estimated 660 million christians after the First World War, there are now 2,200,000,000 identifying as christian. Eventually might be a very long way off. Eventually the sun will swell up and consume solar system. But I'm not going to cancel next year's holiday.

World Cup Final is on man but yeah there will always be spikes where there is poverty and  very low levels of scientific education . (It's a tried and trusted formula for the Church)

The numbers are higher because the population is higher but as a percentage it is very clearly in decline.

Christianity will be long gone before our sun expires thankfully.

Â