All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

There's nothing wrong with adults having make-believe friends. There's nothing wrong with ridiculing such beliefs.

There's nothing wrong with adults believing in personal and socially useful fictions. There's nothing wrong with ridiculing those fictions, as long as no one is allowed to make their own personal and useful fictions an exception.

• Like 1

Observer

Clergy release text of private letter sent in September as it emerges that PM snubbed church’s offer of help.....

....A Downing Street spokesman declined to answer why the bishops had not received a full response from the prime minister.

Church urges increase on the 20,000 refugees to be offered sanctuary in UK, and offers to help facilitate an increase. No response received from government. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ikantcpell said:

12208791_10153070180936431_4638604722231

I used to think that, sort of. But I've recently found it to be very wrong. I worked with an American man recently. He was extremely clever, seriously a world leading expert in his field  and a really nice bloke. Analytical, intelligent, logical and so on. I could talk with him about almost any subject and I had no idea that he held any religious views until one night in the bar I let slip something along the lines of the content of that picture and that I didn't get how anyone in the field of science could believe in a supernatural invisible being controlling our lives, due to the complete absence of any evidence whatsoever to support such a belief. I fully expected him to agree. He didn't. He said he was religious. I thought he was kidding me. But no. We (I wasn't the only other person in the conversation with him) kind of said "why...er...how can you believe in something for which there's no evidence...etc" and this man, probably one of the most reasoned and reasoning people I've ever met kind of went over his beliefs, leaving us nonplussed, still. Then he went and got a round in, and the next topic of conversation moved on from it.

He is a funny, generous and clever bloke and I guess that what I learnt from it, is it's quite wrong to assume, as I perhaps lazily did, that religious belief at least in part comes from a lack of rigour in thinking and reasoning. It obviously doesn't. He is evidence of that. And there will be many many more like him.

• Like 1

On 15/11/2015, 13:12:32, blandy said:

I used to think that, sort of. But I've recently found it to be very wrong. I worked with an American man recently. He was extremely clever, seriously a world leading expert in his field  and a really nice bloke. Analytical, intelligent, logical and so on. I could talk with him about almost any subject and I had no idea that he held any religious views until one night in the bar I let slip something along the lines of the content of that picture and that I didn't get how anyone in the field of science could believe in a supernatural invisible being controlling our lives, due to the complete absence of any evidence whatsoever to support such a belief. I fully expected him to agree. He didn't. He said he was religious. I thought he was kidding me. But no. We (I wasn't the only other person in the conversation with him) kind of said "why...er...how can you believe in something for which there's no evidence...etc" and this man, probably one of the most reasoned and reasoning people I've ever met kind of went over his beliefs, leaving us nonplussed, still. Then he went and got a round in, and the next topic of conversation moved on from it.

He is a funny, generous and clever bloke and I guess that what I learnt from it, is it's quite wrong to assume, as I perhaps lazily did, that religious belief at least in part comes from a lack of rigour in thinking and reasoning. It obviously doesn't. He is evidence of that. And there will be many many more like him.

“You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe”

Carl Sagan

Even intelligent, rational and logical minds are prone to believe bollocks if they want or need something to be true .

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ikantcpell said:

Is this just bullshit, or are these things actually in the quran?

I havent read it, but maybe someone on here has?

Islam-Religion-Of-Peace.jpg

Research yourself here http://quran.com/

But if you choose one of those passages, then read the full Chapter.  It's not possible to cherry pick one liners from the Quran without understanding the full meaning, what the chapter is about, the contents before the said line and after the said line.  It is these type of of one liners that so called "extremists" use and are brainwahsed without fully understanding the true meaning of the verses.

BTW your picture has summarized the actual verses.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, supermon said:

But if you choose one of those passages, then read the full Chapter.  It's not possible to cherry pick one liners from the Quran without understanding the full meaning, what the chapter is about, the contents before the said line and after the said line.  It is these type of of one liners that so called "extremists" use and are brainwahsed without fully understanding the true meaning of the verses.

I don't share the view of Islam that this post was portraying or as an non believe hold a more negative view of Islam than I do any religion. I feel that is important to stress.

That said, while I agree with you that individual lines of any text taken in isolation and out of context can be made to look quite different to how they are intended I'm struggling a little to see what context could change the meaning of some of those extracts.

I'm not accusing Islam of anything, I would be genuinely interested if someone who knows more about the religion and the quran than I do could add context to those lines that make their meaning different.

Just to add, I completely agree with Sharky that similarly unpleasant lines exist in the bible as well. I'm yet to be convinced though that seeing them in context improve them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, supermon said:

Ok, then maybe you can explain to me what the true meaning of the verses are?

You can find what you want to find with these kind of things, for most books about superstition and sky fairies. For example If you google for Quran quotes about peace and stuff then it throws up all kinds of good things including- 

1. “God does not forbid you from being good to those who have not fought you in the religion or driven you from your homes, or from being just towards them. God loves those who are just.” (Surat al-Mumtahana, 8)
  2. “We have appointed a law and a practice for every one of you. Had God willed, He would have made you a single community, but He wanted to test you regarding what has come to you. So compete with each other in doing good. Every one of you will return to God and He will inform you regarding the things about which you differed.” (Surat al-Ma’ida, 48)
  3. “There is no compulsion where the religion is concerned.” (Holy Quran: 2/ 256)
  4. “God does not love corruption”. (Surat al-Baqara, 205)
  5. Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loves not transgressors."
  • Like 1

If you google for Quran quotes about peace and stuff then it throws up all kinds of good things including- 

1. “God does not forbid you from being good to those who have not fought you in the religion or driven you from your homes, or from being just towards them. God loves those who are just.” (Surat al-Mumtahana, 8)

2. “We have appointed a law and a practice for every one of you. Had God willed, He would have made you a single community, but He wanted to test you regarding what has come to you. So compete with each other in doing good. Every one of you will return to God and He will inform you regarding the things about which you differed.” (Surat al-Ma’ida, 48)

3. “There is no compulsion where the religion is concerned.” (Holy Quran: 2/ 256)

5. Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loves not transgressors."

So in other words, the whole is an inconsistent jumble of internal self-contradiction, just like the Bible?

Who'da thought it, eh? [emoji52]

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

If you google for Quran quotes about peace and stuff then it throws up all kinds of good things including- 

Number 4 is hilarious .

Just now, Ikantcpell said:

It dosent make it any better does it ?

No, but that isn't the point or at least not the point as I took it to be.

For me the point is that the religion, be it Islam, Christianity etc isn't the issue and neither is the actual religious text it is more how they are used. Currently some that follow the Islamic faith are using elements of the text to justify the most horrific of behaviour, much the same as some Christians did during the Crusades. 

The problem isn't the religion, the religious text or those who follow the religion on mass.

The problem is those who use these extracts to pursue their goals, justify their actions and ultimately to convince others to follow them. I detest the use of the phrase brainwashed as it implies a lack of free will that I don't think exists.

The Quran, the Bible et al were written thousands of years ago by men of their time, not by God's even if you believe they contain the word of God. They represent a brutal time, a time in the most part completely different to the here and now other than in some place in the Middle East.

The issues occur when people of any particular religion hold the contents of their particular scripture to be taken literally and their actions result from that rather than viewing it more liberally through the eyes of modernity.

Religion isn't the problem, religious texts aren't particularly the problem although they don't help, its people. Personally I don't think excusing elements of any religious text by talking about wider context helps.

What people/religions need to do is be a little more honest, say these things are written by man, that they are old and that while the positive themes, messages etc hold true some of the contents simply can't be justified in the modern world and shouldn't be taken literally.

Those things will never happen of course, religions at their very heart are about conversion, self protection and expansion they will never admit the obvious faults in the texts on which they and their power and wealth is built.

Â