General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

what do VT'ers think of Glenn Hoddle being Villa manager? Technically and tactically astute, young-ish, and perhaps looking for that next "big club". Not sure how he well he would control spending etc......

Hoddle is 54. He's older than McLeish. No. Just no.

He's been out of management for a long time. Many vacancies have come and gone at various levels and he's got none of them. There are reasons for that.

what sort of reasons, S-V? Living in Oz, we are sometimes not as clued up with news as we would like to be....

what do VT'ers think of Glenn Hoddle being Villa manager? Technically and tactically astute, young-ish, and perhaps looking for that next "big club". Not sure how he well he would control spending etc......

He's been out of management for a long time. Many vacancies have come and gone at various levels and he's got none of them. There are reasons for that.

what sort of reasons, S-V? Living in Oz, we are sometimes not as clued up with news as we would like to be....

I can't claim to be entirely clued up, sorry. I mean more that if someone has been passed over for so many jobs then you have to put a question mark over their ability to suddenly be a good manager again.

I can't claim to be entirely clued up, sorry. I mean more that if someone has been passed over for so many jobs then you have to put a question mark over their ability to suddenly be a good manager again.

Might have something to do with him being a lunatic for starters

Hoddles academy in Spain effectively folded and is now back in the uk having produced virtually sweet f a over a 5 year period

The man strikes me as being an ego centric and I'm not sure he could take us as a club forward

I'm not sure though as football management is all about fine lines

See Alan Pardew as a good example, great season but he won't sustain that and will probably be back on the scrap heap inside the next 2 years

It's very much what do we want ?

As Manager no chance, but as Coach yes definitely, he's a class act

Good morning VTers! Wonder who's going to be "plat du jour" today? Yesterday was a kind Poyet/Benitez day with a bit of Ranieri thrown in for good measure.

How about we give a bit of hype to a lad called Karl Robinson, of MK Dons, apparently he's "the Pep Guardiola of League 1" ?

Liverpool and Henry are notorious for being quiet on deals they are making yet they tell the fans who they are talking to and when they plan to do it. Why does RL tell the fans nothing about the management process??? Is it because they are talking to nobody??? I reckon thats why. The only statement they said is they arent waiting on Liverpool to pick their manager. Why tell us that??? Is it because they have nothing else to tell us is my guess and that was a strange thing to tell us in the first place. Trying to fool the fans into thinking they are doing something. Sure he is even away back to the states until Tuesday. I hope i am proved wrong but the lack of info they provide to fans who are the foundations of the club makes me sick.

We're all frustrated and would like to know what's going on, but I'm sorry but that is an absolute crock of shit that Liverpool keep the fans in the loop at every step of the way.

The only reason we know about Martinez through a soundbite (excluding the photo), is because of that gobshite Dave Whelan. They've never come out and said anything about AVB, Rafa, Lambert or anyone.

I may be in a minority, but I believe OGS was not our first choice. I really think that if he was then we would have got him. Randy needs the fans back on side. Not because he wouldn't be able to take a few chants, but to protect his investment. It's the only logical business decision as they NEED season ticket money, merchandise sales and a the TV revenue. Without the feel good factor, and a better style of play, youo can be sure that Sky will be broadcasting the contractual minimum amount of games - coming live from an empty stadium near you.

If they could have solved all their problems by offering OGS the job, they would have done it, unless they feel they have someone better lined up.

Are they going to tell you or me who that person is? Of course not. I know it's hard to have patience, especially with their poor track record, but I believe this search is different to the last, because it was such a monumental **** up with McLeish. If cost cutting was the only consideration before, then Randy knows he can't get away with it again - for his own sake.

We've seen in another thread that AV is the 19th richest brand in world football, ahead of Newcastle. Randy is going to have to spend to keep the brand up their, protect his investment and maintain a high sell on price.

This managerial appointment is the biggest decision his team have had to make, so I'll give a couple of weeks to make it as I'm sure no one knows how important it is to get right more than Randy and Faulkner this time around.

Leave a Dairy Milk by his bedside dresser at night.

Creepy, but it seemed to work in the ads.

A Dairy Milk? Pfft, it's not Mick McCarthy we're trying to seduce here. It's a box of Milk Tray that you need :winkold:

I think managers have a kind of 'shelf-life' where thier tactics or their footballing ethos first rises, then reaches its peak and finally declines.

Rafa I feel is in the later. Yes he WAS a very good manager no doubt, he won the CL FFS. However I personally feel he's lost some of his magic and he's certainly not the manager he was seven years ago.

I think what I'm trying to say is that, Villa need (and I would much prefer) a rising star to a fading beauty.

I think you make an excellent point.

irrespective of the money they earn and the exception that is SAF ...I suspect the job is mentally draining and that Managers at times seem worn out.

Like you say, some of the more mature managers seem to have left their best days behind them.Ron Saunders himself couldn't muster the same enthusiasm for any other club after his departure.

PS We need a virgin not an old whore

I think managers have a kind of 'shelf-life' where thier tactics or their footballing ethos first rises, then reaches its peak and finally declines.

Rafa I feel is in the later. Yes he WAS a very good manager no doubt, he won the CL FFS. However I personally feel he's lost some of his magic and he's certainly not the manager he was seven years ago.

I think what I'm trying to say is that, Villa need (and I would much prefer) a rising star to a fading beauty.

I think you make an excellent point.

irrespective of the money they earn and the exception that is SAF ...I suspect the job is mentally draining and that Managers at times seem worn out.

Like you say, some of the more mature managers seem to have left their best days behind them.Ron Saunders himself couldn't muster the same enthusiasm for any other club after his departure.

PS We need a virgin not an old whore

Sometimes it's good to go with the people who doesn't have "too much" experience because they have fresh ideas, and are not boggled down with years experince "You can't do this" or "Things have to be done exactly like this" - the people who does the same thing for long tend to develop sometimes very strict ways of doing things, which tend to get outdate once in a while which is probably why managers eventually gets their "Best before"-date.

We're all victims of the instant gratification generation. I personally lay the blame at the common or garden disc - be it floppy or compact!

When I wanted to play a computer game on my old ZX Spectrum I would load the cassette into the tape deck, sit back and wait. I would then reload the tape as the loading process would inevitably crash at some point until finally the game would eventually load up. Ah the joys, the feelings, the emotions, the happiness!!!!

Even if that game was the worst game in the world, I would still give it time, give it a chance to win me over - mainly because I'd waited the last 11 days for the thing to boot up, so I wasn't going to turn it off after 5 minutes. Then, one day, along came my Commodore Amiga, with it's fancy disc drive, pirated games and graphics so good it was like staring out of a window and into a new world of fantasy.

I had an extensive collection of discs, each taking a couple of minutes to load, and even less time to copy. It was my first experience of "on demand", hotly followed by the CD.

As a result I never gave anything a chance.

Didn't like a song? I'd skip it, moving to the next track, only to skip that because the intro didn't immediately appeal to me.

Now with our iPods, Sky +, movies on demand, iPlayers and torrent downloads we've lost our patience, our ability to savour the anticipation and, for me, it's all because of the humble disc.

So, with that in mind, for **** sake Randy appoint someone now, I need it done so I can skip to the next part of my life!

:flag::rant:

We're all victims of the instant gratification generation. I personally lay the blame at the common or garden disc - be it floppy or compact!

When I wanted to play a computer game on my old ZX Spectrum I would load the cassette into the tape deck, sit back and wait. I would then reload the tape as the loading process would inevitably crash at some point until finally the game would eventually load up. Ah the joys, the feelings, the emotions, the happiness!!!!

Even if that game was the worst game in the world, I would still give it time, give it a chance to win me over - mainly because I'd waited the last 11 days for the thing to boot up, so I wasn't going to turn it off after 5 minutes. Then, one day, along came my Commodore Amiga, with it's fancy disc drive, pirated games and graphics so good it was like staring out of a window and into a new world of fantasy.

I had an extensive collection of discs, each taking a couple of minutes to load, and even less time to copy. It was my first experience of "on demand", hotly followed by the CD.

As a result I never gave anything a chance.

Didn't like a song? I'd skip it, moving to the next track, only to skip that because the intro didn't immediately appeal to me.

Now with our iPods, Sky +, movies on demand, iPlayers and torrent downloads we've lost our patience, our ability to savour the anticipation and, for me, it's all because of the humble disc.

So, with that in mind, for **** sake Randy appoint someone now, I need it done so I can skip to the next part of my life!

:flag::rant:

what an entertaining post....so bloody right.What a neurotic lot we have become.

ps.... is it still 9 months for a baby?...come on God get yer finger out.