What Shay Given thinks.

TreeVillan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17904579

Aston Villa goalkeeper Shay Given says the squad are "all right behind" manager Alex McLeish as they fight for Premier League survival.

Villa are currently three points clear of the relegation zone with two games remaining.

Given was speaking on BBC Radio 5 live Breakfast following Villa's annual end-of-season awards dinner where captain Stiliyan Petrov, diagnosed with acute leukaemia, was voted the club's players' player of the year .

The Ireland international reveals it is "difficult" for the team to watch Petrov fight "a huge battle", but insists it puts the club's "rough time" into perspective.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17904579

Aston Villa goalkeeper Shay Given says the squad are "all right behind" manager Alex McLeish as they fight for Premier League survival.

Villa are currently three points clear of the relegation zone with two games remaining.

Given was speaking on BBC Radio 5 live Breakfast following Villa's annual end-of-season awards dinner where captain Stiliyan Petrov, diagnosed with acute leukaemia, was voted the club's players' player of the year .

The Ireland international reveals it is "difficult" for the team to watch Petrov fight "a huge battle", but insists it puts the club's "rough time" into perspective.

I am not surprised with the 5 year contract he is on at £50 + grand a week.

What else could he say? He is on a fat contract and an employee of Lerner.

I hardly think that he is likely to say "McLeish is the worst manager that I have ever had the misfortune to play under and the sooner he goes the better".

Just AVFC spin.

what a load of gash,

the players aren't right behind him. A lot dont't like him at all. This is as lame as when Gabby was speaking in the press the other week despite the fact Gabby totally hates McLeish and cant stand him.

This is as lame as when Gabby was speaking in the press the other week despite the fact Gabby totally hates McLeish and cant stand him.

Is this true?

This is as lame as when Gabby was speaking in the press the other week despite the fact Gabby totally hates McLeish and cant stand him.

Is this true?

yes, it's 100% true.

Is this true?

yes, it's 100% true.

Proof?

I know a lot of the players don't believe in McLeish. I don't think the players hate him; I just think they don't believe that what he is preaching is true. It's pretty evident when we go out each week.

Is this true?

yes, it's 100% true.

Surely he hates Houllier more.

Houllier dumped him on the bench.

McLeish plays him and made him captain.

what a load of gash,

the players aren't right behind him. A lot dont't like him at all. This is as lame as when Gabby was speaking in the press the other week despite the fact Gabby totally hates McLeish and cant stand him.

he totally hates McLeish and he cant stand him

wow, double the negative vibes from Gabby, most people would stop when they get to the hate stage, but he has to go just that little bit further.

What else would Given say? He was asked what he thought of his boss and by extension, the judgment of his boss' boss. I don't think there's anyone living outside of a sheltered community and perhaps Cleveland who genuinely thinks McLeish is a fantastic manager.

Yeah, I heard this interview as it went out live while I was on the school run. It was supposed to be about the City vs United game and they got Given on as he is ex City. He said he didnt watch the game because he was at the Villa player of the year awards and then it turned into an impromptu interview about us, Nicky Campbell tried to get a quote out of Shay as he was clearly unprepared for the questions but nothing came of it. Basically he toed the company line as well as he could. What else could he do?

Yeah agree with what people have said, what was he supposed to say?

There were a few people on Twitter (a certain ex VT member notably) who were fuming about this interview.

He supported his manager. For all he knows he'll be his manager for the forseeable future. He's hardly going to slag him off and risk getting dropped is he?

Not many of us would slag off our boss publicly even if we hated him. I don't see why some people seem convinced that Given should have.

Â