Villa's high average wage

Heretic

I am still in contact with him and actually text him the day he resigned

Really ?

Still got his number don't think he is bad bloke but was totally wrong for Villa and his football was killing the club. I had the chance to say it to his face and I admired his honesty and integrity.

I haven't text him for 2 weeks and dont see me going out for dinner with him but I think he handled himself well once he had been binned .

The compensation will help so it's not as if I feel sorry for him either .

He should never have been appointed and for that Paul and Randy are to blame as much as he was for his football .

I think it was more the last word of the bit Richard quoted more than the fact you texted him, MM...

**** lol sorry bad ITK again :winkold: slip of the keyboard was thinking about MON . Apologies

We have a squad who's whole is considerably less than the sum of its wages ...it's anti-moneyball if you will

However a new manager could come in and buy another Zoggy, Ireland etc for 60k a week 4 yr contract. He then under performs, what do you do?

I think it was more the last word of the bit Richard quoted more than the fact you texted him, MM...

**** lol sorry bad ITK again :winkold: slip of the keyboard was thinking about MON . Apologies

Everyone appreciates the snippets MM

Keep it coming

In Feb this year after the Villa Fulham reserves game I met Alex McCleish at BH for the second time .

This was in response to a letter I had sent into him about the broken promises from the first meeting and generally telling him we all felt about the football and his signings .

I promised him I would not divulge everything that was said but was amazed at his honesty and have to say as a Man I like him but that did not change my opinion about his appointment and what we were watching .

I am still in contact with him and actually text him the day he resigned I still think he is a decent bloke but simply not for AVFC , he never was !

But what he was very vocal about was 2 things one being that RL would provide money for signings in the summer and if there was a need to pay a certain player 100k a week we would but the pot was the pot .

He said he was on the same page as RL about this that the wages were out of proportion to our turnover and we were over paying people and they were past their best.

I took from this if there were special players then they would go out and pay it Darren Bent is a prime example but they couldn't do it on 10 of them .

He said we would need 5 players because whoever was in charge would be faced with the same problem that the seniors are not good enough and don't care enough .

this backs up a lot of what i thought about Mcleish. Nice bloke, not a great fit for villa, experienced a lot of bad luck.

But what he was very vocal about was 2 things one being that RL would provide money for signings in the summer and if there was a need to pay a certain player 100k a week we would but the pot was the pot .

He said we would need 5 players because whoever was in charge would be faced with the same problem that the seniors are not good enough and don't care enough .

Taking all this together and if it is the club's thinking then I'm not terribly hopeful of good things in the short term, tbh.

Total Salaries = £59m

You forgot the annual costs of terminating the contract of the existing manager (and backroom staff) and the compensation for the new manager (and backroom staff) at about £2m each. :P

So that adds on about 4.5%. ;-)

Total Salaries = £59m

You forgot the annual costs of terminating the contract of the existing manager (and backroom staff) and the compensation for the new manager (and backroom staff) at about £2m each. :P

well, i counted them as one-off costs rather than ongoing salaries/wage bill.

i would hope we don't have that every year! :shock: :D

Taking all this together and if it is the club's thinking then I'm not terribly hopeful of good things in the short term, tbh.

Total Salaries = £59m

Do we have to pay that entire sum or would it be cut short if he was to get a new job, wasnt that the story with Ranieri at Chelsea.

well, i counted them as one-off costs rather than ongoing salaries/wage bill.

i would hope we don't have that every year! :shock: :D

How frequently does a one off cost have to happen for it to cease to be a one off? :P

Interesting to hear McDraw's take on what Randy would be prepared to spend.

Being a bitter and cynical sort of chap, I rather doubt how close McDraw was to RL's thinking. After all, I don't think he twigged he was going to get the sack?

Still, let's hope it's all true. I look forward to welcoming our £100k-a-week player this summer. (It fair takes me back to the days of the General's "£30m signing" - was that in 2009?)

Â