Villa's high average wage

Heretic

lol football managers have nothing to do with salaries. I have no idea where this concept that they do came from.

Managers give a list of targets to the ceo, fair enough o`neill picked some shite, but the suits take it from there and finish the deals.

O`neills fault in all this lies in not securing top 4 when we had budgeted for it.

If we budgeted for top 4 then we underbudgeted, in my opinion. It was never likely on the money we had to spend and would have been a major achievement if we made it (and probably unsustainable without lots and lots more money.)

We all know he walked out because he was not happy to reduce costs, so he must have had a fair amount of control.

No we don't, not one of us have any real idea why he actually went

...but if you're in charge of a multi million pound business and you give complete control of everything to a non businessman, then you get what you deserve.

We're **** then.

foreveryoung wrote:

We all know he walked out because he was not happy to reduce costs, so he must have had a fair amount of control.

We don't for sure..just rumours.

However people seem to forget that a few CEOs of AVFC came and went under his tenure before Lerner put Faulkner in situ.

Who knows why? Did these previous CEOs try and take control of a spiralling wage bill and MON wasn't having it...

..........we can only speculate?

foreveryoung wrote:

We don't for sure..just rumours.

However people seem to forget that a few CEOs of AVFC came and went under his tenure before Lerner put Faulkner in situ.

Who knows why? Did these previous CEOs try and take control of a spiralling wage bill and MON wasn't having it...

..........we can only speculate?

The hiring and firing of CEOs would be down to Lerner, not MON, how can he possibly be blamed, even speculatively, for that?

The first CEO was shipped out pretty quickly, if I remember right, before the wage bill would got out of control. Also the wages and contracts would not have been down to MON.

With a new manager on his way are we still on a strict wage balance or was the 2011/12 season the one transitional season we needed to sort the finances? Beye/ Heskey and Cuellar going would free up a fair bit I would think.

It's obvious to my mind that O'Neill was given an over-inflated budget in the hope that he'd achieve Champions League football within 5 years. When that didn't happen Randy decided to pull the plug and start again, asking MON to cut wages and approach things in a different way. MON didn't like it and used it as a claim for some form of constructive dismissal, hence why the two parties settled out of court.

To say that Randy and the finance people at Villa Park were responsible for individual player contracts is misleading in my opinion. MON would have told them who he wanted and what he thought they were worth. If MON convinced the board that, say, Beye was worth £2.5m and £40k per week, why would they not allow the deal to go ahead if they thought MON knew what he was doing and was on course to achieving Champions League? After all, there is usually uproar amongst fans, pundits and the press whenever a chairman tries to tell a manager what to do.

No, they set themselves a 5 year target and they took a risk. When it became clear that the risk wouldn't pay off, they acted accordingly. OK, it has set us back but we simply to stem the flow of the waste and build again. We just need a really good manager to do it, and this is definitely where Randy has made huge errors.

• 2 weeks later...

All MONS fault, it makes me sick to think that we spent about £10m!!!! in wages on Heskey alone. Also the 12 or so average players on top wage he signed too.

Hopefully next season sees us shake off the MON hangover.

My reckoning on 2012/13 wages before we sign any new players.

(don't worry about exact figures for each player, some will be higher, some will be lower).

Bent - 70 k per wk

Ireland - 65

Given - 60

Dunne - 55

N'Zogbia - 55

Agbonlahor - 50

Makoun - 40

Warnock - 40

Collins - 35

Hutton - 25

Delph - 25

Holman - 25

Delfouneso - 15

Albrighton - 15

Herd - 15

Bannan - 10

Clark - 10

Stevens - 10

Lichaj - 5

Baker - 5

Weimann - 5

Carruthers - 5

Gardner - 5

Youth players - 25

Total Basic wage = £670k per week = £34.8m

plus NI @12.8% = £4.4m = £39.2m

plus medical insurance @10% = £3.5m = £42.7m

plus bonus @10% of basic = £3.5m = £46.2m

Total Players wage cost = £46 Mill

Average wage cost for players = £38k per week

Manager @£40k/wk = £2.7m (inc NI & bonus)

Other Staff - £10m

Total Salaries = £59m

Wage to revenue turnover = 59/90 = 65.6%

Wow, nice work there!

However it has to be considdered that our revenue will increase (maybe matchday too, unless Randy screws up the manager choice) thus the percentage will fall further.

What is the current thinking as to a 'safe' working percentage?

(don't worry about exact figures for each player, some will be higher, some will be lower).

Bent - 70 k per wk

Ireland - 65

Given - 60

Dunne - 55

N'Zogbia - 55

Makoun - 50

In view of the latest rash of hand wringing and wailings of "boo hoo, it's all MON's fault, he made Randy spend all his money", it's worth noting that 5 out of the top 6 top earners weren't signed by MON so problems with our wage bill now - if they are continuing - are starting to be down to Foolier and Mcdraw.

Did we REALLY sign up Zog for £55k and Makoun for £50k a week? :shock:

Two biggest wastes of money ever!

Bent - 70 k per wk

Ireland - 65

Given - 60

Dunne - 55

N'Zogbia - 55

Makoun - 50

In view of the latest rash of hand wringing and wailings of "boo hoo, it's all MON's fault, he made Randy spend all his money", it's worth noting that 5 out of the top 6 top earners weren't signed by MON so problems with our wage bill now - if they are continuing - are starting to be down to Foolier and Mcdraw.

Did we REALLY sign up Zog for £55k and Makoun for £50k a week? :shock:

Two biggest wastes of money ever!

Of the above Im sure NZogbia is on 60k a week while Makoun is closer to 35k. Dunne earns a reported 2.5 mil a year as well so should be closer to 50k, but these are negligble really from your calculation.

I doubt Makoun is on £50k a week. Also do we really pay all of Irelands wages, I am sure Gazton said something about City still paying some of it. Whats the wage to turnover target? We still need at least another 5 players to be comptetive next year. At about £30k pw each that would be £7.8m on top of that not including NI, Medical insurance and bonus.

In my opinion the only way we can be competitive is to increase revenue but of course increases in revenue are direct proportional to becoming more competitive. So we have to spend money to make money it would seem. Arsenals wages to turnover ratio was only 29%, Uniteds 45%, Wolves 49% while the average in the premiership was 75% we were 88% on the last accounts, I suspect that percentage might not fall as much as people would think due to match revenue falling supstantially last season. However with a good appointment and a few value for money signings we could lower it substantially.

**Ender 4 you forgot Petrov as well.

Â