Villa's high average wage

Heretic

These are bound to be last season's figures. The full list has Blackpool and Birmingham included. Hence it probably includes Friedel, A.Young, L.Young, Downing, Beye, Pires, Carew, Reo-Coker and possibly even Sidwell and Davies.

Pretty certain average wages will be lower now, given that only a few of them have been replaced with equivalent earners, and most have been replaced by kids.

You are correct, this is for last season obviously (2010/11), as the current season hasn't even finished yet.

Beye will still be in the next set of figures for 2011/12, as he was here for a large part of the season, and then we had to pay him off to leave.

I read in a Mon biography that he once scribbled a potential signings' wage offer on a pizza box and handed it to him. It must have been the most expensive pizza ever!

Our cavalier attitude in handing out huge wages to very limited footballers, has come back to bite our butts!

Yeah I think that was with Neil Lennon

If we went down every player must have to take a pay cut, maybe that Lerners plan.

If we went down every player must have to take a pay cut, maybe that Lerners plan.

i very much doubt the majority of our players have that in their contracts, unless it's a really standard fare, because we couldn't possibly have entertained the possibility when signing most of our guys

bent most likely has some kind of release clause though, probably given, zog and hutton too

Yep, Lerner and Faulkner must take a lot of blame - they were cajoled by O'Neill into paying inflated wages for players who were, in a majority of cases, not good enough to merit the expenditure

But this brings into stark relief again how appallingly Longball O'Hissyfit behaved - he played a significant part in creating this mess, with Lerner never having promised to have bottomless pockets - Lerner relied on his football expertise for guidance, and O'Hissyfit was happy to tell him that Beye, Davies, Sidwell, Reo-Coker, Knight, Dunne, Harewood, Collins, Salifou, Shorey etc were worth silly money in terms of wages or fees, that these players would be the basis of our bright future and our plans for growth.

As soon as Lerner rightly told him that he would need to sell to buy / recoup some of the money he had squandered, he was off out of the door - happy to take the plaudits in the good times, but not willing to share responsibility and try to put things right when times were changing - a huge ego, a facade of charm, disgraceful timing in his departure, and a total lack of loyalty to the club.

I am sick of people editing out the flaws of this Media Darling

Well said sir and that it why he was booed on his return to VP.

Modric's first contract for Spurs was for 25k a week.

Around the same time we signed Sidwell on 40-50k a week.

this is most sickening part, Modric was a star of Euro 2008 and Sidwell couldnt even get a ticket to Champions League final same year

The problem was Sidwell moved to Chelsea on a free transfer so he must have been on a ridiculous wage there, certainly a bit more than he would be here. Same for Beye at Newcastle.

Modric was playing in the croatian league which obviously isn't washed with money.

but why couldnt we attract or bid for Modric considering we were above Spurs season before. I know London is a big factor for some players but we dont know they wont join if we never bid

but why couldnt we attract or bid for Modric considering we were above Spurs season before. I know London is a big factor for some players but we dont know they wont join if we never bid

but he's one of them foreigners. saint martin doesn't do foreigners

but he's one of them foreigners. saint martin doesn't do foreigners

**** ain't seen that one for a while.

Commentator in the Chelsea game has just pointed out that Newcastle got Tiote and Cabaye for Kevin Nolan and Joey Barton. Tiote was 3.5 mill. Good scouting and bargains the pair of them.

Another great goal for Cisse too! Hope our next manager can find players like these.

Yep, Lerner and Faulkner must take a lot of blame - they were cajoled by O'Neill into paying inflated wages for players who were, in a majority of cases, not good enough to merit the expenditure

But this brings into stark relief again how appallingly Longball O'Hissyfit behaved - he played a significant part in creating this mess, with Lerner never having promised to have bottomless pockets - Lerner relied on his football expertise for guidance, and O'Hissyfit was happy to tell him that Beye, Davies, Sidwell, Reo-Coker, Knight, Dunne, Harewood, Collins, Salifou, Shorey etc were worth silly money in terms of wages or fees, that these players would be the basis of our bright future and our plans for growth.

As soon as Lerner rightly told him that he would need to sell to buy / recoup some of the money he had squandered, he was off out of the door - happy to take the plaudits in the good times, but not willing to share responsibility and try to put things right when times were changing - a huge ego, a facade of charm, disgraceful timing in his departure, and a total lack of loyalty to the club.

I am sick of people editing out the flaws of this Media Darling

Sounds like you know a lot about this and were undoubtedly in the room when a lot of the discussions took place. I'd love to know what techniques were used to "cajole" Lerner and Faulkner into paying out all this unnecessary money. Did he threaten violence?

Just one thing puzzles me about what you say:

As soon as Lerner rightly told him that he would need to sell to buy / recoup some of the money he had squandered, he was off out of the door
Lerner told him this in May and it was the main theme of discussion amongst fans for the whole summer. MON left in August, so not quite "as soon as" he was told.

Explain please.

was just wondering what our squad looks like and who in it is out of contract at the end of the season.

by a rough estimate, players getting regular playing time look something like this:

GK - Given

LB / RB - Hutton, Warnock, Lichaj

CB - Collins, Dunne, Cuellar, Baker

MF - Nzogbia, Ireland, Herd, Albrighton, Clark, Bannan, Gardner

STR - Bent, Agbonlahor, Weimann, Heskey

Out of contract players at the end of the season are:

Cuellar

Heskey

Jenas and

Guzan

Players under contracts with substantial wages that are regularly playing in the first team are:

Dunne (2013)

Collins (2013)

Warnock (2013)

Ireland (2014)

Bent (2015)

Agbonlahor (2015)

Hutton (2015)

Given (2016)

N'Zogbia (2016)

Players that we have bought who are still under contract with substantial wages, but not playing for Villa regularly are:

Makoun (2014)

Delph (2015)

Kids that have come through our academy, but who have played often this season and are therefore still on sensible contracts, are:

albrighton

bannan

clark

herd

baker

lichaj

gardner

weimann

Young players that have played several games, but appear to be squad fillers at this stage include:

Delfouneso

Carruthers

Stevens

Brett Holman has also signed a pre-contract to join us on a free.

I think looking at this, we have a small squad, no question and one lacking in experience, and to a degree premier league quality. What we have managed to get rid of are players on substantial contracts that are not contributing to the first team.

i don't think our squad at the end of the season (particularly with the four people out of contract) will be anywhere near one of the most expensive in the league.

I also think that for the first time in three years, we have what looks like a reasonable base from which the club can build a squad within reasonable financial constraints. First team players should command the lion's share of wages available, with the remainder of the squad commanding salaries in line with the contribution that they will make to the first team.

havent got link but said "he has really enjoyed his time here and club arent negotiating wiht anybody due to current situation but would love to stay beyond 2013"

Â