Villa's high average wage

Heretic

I have it on fairly good authority that Ireland has a clause in his contract which states he has to match the highest earner so when Bent came in he got a pay rise!!

arent City subsidising Ireland wages?

I was listening to Peter Withe on the radio the other day. He mentioned his wages when he was at Nottingham Forest during their days of winning the League and European Cup etc.

He was on less than £200 per week. Now I know that is over 30 years ago now but for **** sake I don't think my calculator could work out the % rise of a top player since then!

I tried to work it out on my Casio Calculator watch and it just flashed up 'WTF!!!1!!'

I was listening to Peter Withe on the radio the other day. He mentioned his wages when he was at Nottingham Forest during their days of winning the League and European Cup etc.

He was on less than £200 per week. Now I know that is over 30 years ago now but for **** sake I don't think my calculator could work out the % rise of a top player since then!

I tried to work it out on my Casio Calculator watch and it just flashed up 'WTF!!!1!!'

mine says

It is frightening that we still have such a high average wage, compared with a such a low standard of quality in the team. Can we honestly say the players have earned their wages this season? I think not. Let's hope with a new manager at the helm we can see some better quality for our money next season.

So our players earn on average, the 13th highest of any football team, in the world, yeah I'll say that again, IN THE **** WORLD. 41st highest of any sport. Oh dear Randy you silly f**kin sod. We are currently in danger of being relegated, but at least our players can refill the bath with £50 notes each week.

Holy Shit!

Our average wage was around 20k under Doug. Classic financial mis management from Randy and Faulkner

No no no. Not having that as a comparison. Average wages across the board have increased massively since Deadly left. Its not just Villa, its the whole of football.

Randy and PF have a lot to answer for, but you can't blame them for increasing the average wage. They've paid some players way over their worth absolutely, but to say the club has been financially mismanaged is laughable.

Carew and Sidwell were on more than Bent and Mackoun . :!:

My understanding high earners Heskey , Ireland , PetroV , Collins , Dunne , Warnock and Cuellar . 5 out of that lot to go

Bent 52k Gabby not far off that

you are way off with DB

I heard that DB was on a lot less than Carew was, and iirc it was 45-55k so MM seems correct there.

These are bound to be last season's figures. The full list has Blackpool and Birmingham included. Hence it probably includes Friedel, A.Young, L.Young, Downing, Beye, Pires, Carew, Reo-Coker and possibly even Sidwell and Davies.

Pretty certain average wages will be lower now, given that only a few of them have been replaced with equivalent earners, and most have been replaced by kids.

So our players earn on average, the 13th highest of any football team, in the world, yeah I'll say that again, IN THE **** WORLD. 41st highest of any sport. Oh dear Randy you silly f**kin sod. We are currently in danger of being relegated, but at least our players can refill the bath with £50 notes each week.

dont forget our 20th highest paid manager in world ;)

dont forget our 20th highest paid manager in world ;)

As much as that stat grates Im hoping it might help us attract a decent replacement for AMC!

Holy Shit!

I realise this seems ridiculous looking at it now but you have to remember that most of the players were bought with the intention of getting us into the top 4 of the Premier League (one of the top 3 leagues in world) so 13th highest paid football team should be seen in that light.

Obviously the players we bought weren't good enough to get us there but still that was the intention.

I read in a Mon biography that he once scribbled a potential signings' wage offer on a pizza box and handed it to him. It must have been the most expensive pizza ever!

Our cavalier attitude in handing out huge wages to very limited footballers, has come back to bite our butts!

Yep, Lerner and Faulkner must take a lot of blame - they were cajoled by O'Neill into paying inflated wages for players who were, in a majority of cases, not good enough to merit the expenditure

But this brings into stark relief again how appallingly Longball O'Hissyfit behaved - he played a significant part in creating this mess, with Lerner never having promised to have bottomless pockets - Lerner relied on his football expertise for guidance, and O'Hissyfit was happy to tell him that Beye, Davies, Sidwell, Reo-Coker, Knight, Dunne, Harewood, Collins, Salifou, Shorey etc were worth silly money in terms of wages or fees, that these players would be the basis of our bright future and our plans for growth.

As soon as Lerner rightly told him that he would need to sell to buy / recoup some of the money he had squandered, he was off out of the door - happy to take the plaudits in the good times, but not willing to share responsibility and try to put things right when times were changing - a huge ego, a facade of charm, disgraceful timing in his departure, and a total lack of loyalty to the club.

I am sick of people editing out the flaws of this Media Darling

Reminds me of the Seth Johnson / Peter Ridssale stories at Leeds, when Johnson and his agent went into a negotiation looking for £20k / week and Ridsdale offered £60k a week before the agent could even open his mouth

Â