How much does it cost you to go to work each month?

Genie

About a hundred quid on fuel - which works out at about the same as it would cost me in bus fares (although obviously the car has other cost overheads).

£48 bus pass...which has never, ever been looked at by a bus driver in my three years of having one. I'm an honest guy, but I'm really tempted to stop paying it and just start drawing pictures of dinosaurs and things and holding that up. I'm sure it wouldn't make a difference.

Office is about 2 miles from my home though I take the kids to school some mornings and have to go on a 10 mile detour

I get all my fuel re-reimbursed so cost on paper is zero , but I do pay £180 via my tax code for the privilege of "free" fuel

Nowt. 30minute walk to work. Unless I need the car that day.

Probably only chuck £80 a month at the car. Mrs E used nearly 3 times that on her jolly's with Princess E.

I get all my fuel re-reimbursed so cost on paper is zero , but I do pay £180 via my tax code for the privilege of "free" fuel

Why don't you opt out then? A place I used to work the guys had company cars. A couple of them who lived very close to the office would pay their own fuel rather than the tax hit of the 'benefit'.

for a 2 mile commute its a no brainer isn't it (or do you do a lot of personal miles?)

£48 bus pass...which has never, ever been looked at by a bus driver in my three years of having one. I'm an honest guy, but I'm really tempted to stop paying it and just start drawing pictures of dinosaurs and things and holding that up. I'm sure it wouldn't make a difference.
You want to try living around here. I said in another thread that Leeds bus drivers are the most unpleasant, misanthropic bunch of bastards on the planet, and I stand by it. You wave any sort of ticket at them and they will inspect it in minute detail, while giving you a suspicious look that makes you feel like a serial killer. They seem genuinely disappointed if the ticket is valid.

On the other hand, they react with triumph if they can find some loophole to make you pay extra. For example, I went out for a beer with a mate, got a "day" ticket, and got pulled up on my way home because it was one minute past midnight when I got on the bus - had to pay again.

Why don't you opt out then? A place I used to work the guys had company cars. A couple of them who lived very close to the office would pay their own fuel rather than the tax hit of the 'benefit'.

for a 2 mile commute its a no brainer isn't it (or do you do a lot of personal miles?)

I do a fair bit of going to clients and a lot of personal miles ... I could pay my own private fuel and submit an expense claim for business miles but it's just easier to pay in one whack and be done with tbh

I'll look at it again in April at the tax year end

You want to try living around here. I said in another thread that Leeds bus drivers are the most unpleasant, misanthropic bunch of bastards on the planet, and I stand by it. You wave any sort of ticket at them and they will inspect it in minute detail, while giving you a suspicious look that makes you feel like a serial killer. They seem genuinely disappointed if the ticket is valid.

On the other hand, they react with triumph if they can find some loophole to make you pay extra. For example, I went out for a beer with a mate, got a "day" ticket, and got pulled up on my way home because it was one minute past midnight when I got on the bus - had to pay again.

Are they on commission or something? Yeah, I suppose I'd rather have them the way they are compared to that. I just haven't seen a ticket inspector for years, it's a bit annoying knowing there's probably a fair few people getting free rides, I'm basically paying for them.

I am hitting £360 plus at the moment but with the prices riseing by an average of 1p every 2 weeks and the tax going up it will soon be £400.

Live in Lichfield and work in Redditch, the train station is way too far from my work and its not only expensive but unreliable and takes 1 1/2 hours plus.

Looking for a new job but also considering asking if I can work at home of a FRiday short term to ease the pain as we finish at 1 of a Friday anyway.

Are they on commission or something? Yeah, I suppose I'd rather have them the way they are compared to that. I just haven't seen a ticket inspector for years, it's a bit annoying knowing there's probably a fair few people getting free rides, I'm basically paying for them.
No, they are not on commission. I have no idea why they are like that, but I've lived in Leeds since 1972, and I noticed it from (literally) day one. After the relative pleasantness of Birmingham bus drivers, it was a real shock. It isn't just me, I know several people who have noticed it. I could give you a very long list of outrageous behaviour, but it would only make me seethe.

54 mile daily round trip.

~€1.66 per litre of petrol in a 45mpg car.

Assuming a 22 day working month, roughly €210 on petrol.

Factor in 1/12th of the cost of annual insurance and road tax. So tack on another ~€60.

Â