Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

for all Abramovich faults, in football terms they didnt have hundreds of charges labelled against them by the authorities and won the trophies legally

Only because FFP didn’t exist then. It was only brought in to stop Man City doing the same thing and being able to compete with the legacy giants. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Fans are already turning off its only gonna get worse when people realise its ahit and you have no chance of being better than city  due to the vast amount of wealth and how uncompetitive it is now

I so agree with this Demitri_C.......

If man yoo get a new owner from another middle eastern country to join the cartel, then the top 3 or 4 positions in the prem league will be locked out due to glorified "willy waving".

Premier league football is becoming a 4 horse race and all the rest of us can just hope for some crumbs, such as a long cup run before getting beaten by a Saudi, Qatar or Abu dhabi sponsored club with unlimited wealth using the oiliest greasiest well paid lawyers employed to brush off any FFP to protect their investment.

I have to admit to becoming a bit bored by the predictability of the premier league 

28 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I so agree with this Demitri_C.......

If man yoo get a new owner from another middle eastern country to join the cartel, then the top 3 or 4 positions in the prem league will be locked out due to glorified "willy waving".

Premier league football is becoming a 4 horse race and all the rest of us can just hope for some crumbs, such as a long cup run before getting beaten by a Saudi, Qatar or Abu dhabi sponsored club with unlimited wealth using the oiliest greasiest well paid lawyers employed to brush off any FFP to protect their investment.

I have to admit to becoming a bit bored by the predictability of the premier league 

It’s been like that since the 90’s

Difference these days is that even the worst clubs in the PL have more money to buy players with than even most top clubs in the other big leagues with about maybe 5-10 exceptions.

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He put all his chips in this City basket and it's paid off in the short term. But every trophy they've won could soon have an asterisk next to them. Wonder how players would feel about that, or if they'd even care.

None of them will care, you’ll never take away the experience of winning it, same for their fans. 

The fans will care more if the punishment is strict as sending them down the leagues with a ten year transfer ban.

But the players bar Foden won’t care. 

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He put all his chips in this City basket and it's paid off in the short term. But every trophy they've won could soon have an asterisk next to them. Wonder how players would feel about that, or if they'd even care.

It’s quite a strange thought. Like would they all feel like they hadn’t won anything? Would the record books say they’d won nothing?

Genuine questions, I don’t know how it would work. 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

It’s quite a strange thought. Like would they all feel like they hadn’t won anything? Would the record books say they’d won nothing?

It would be strange, and I assume unprecedented? Although did Juve get their league titles removed at one point?

I think the players would just have an attitude whereby the ‘on the pitch’ performances can’t be take away and they won it and no one can take that away. 

I really hope they throw the book at Man City,  not because of any *particular* dislike of them or their players but more because they sort of stand for everything that is wrong about modern football and buying success.

Just now, alreadyexists said:

It would be strange, and I assume unprecedented? Although did Juve get their league titles removed at one point?

I think the players would just have an attitude whereby the ‘on the pitch’ performances can’t be take away and they won it and no one can take that away. 

I really hope they throw the book at Man City,  not because of any *particular* dislike of them or their players but more because they sort of stand for everything that is wrong about modern football and buying success.

Yeah how do Juve players view those league titles? I guess like you say the experience will always be there. 

Agree about City. I can’t see it happening, feels like they’ll get away with a minor punishment. 
But would be great to see them get stripped of everything

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Yeah how do Juve players view those league titles? I guess like you say the experience will always be there. 

Agree about City. I can’t see it happening, feels like they’ll get away with a minor punishment. 

I think it’s the biggest test of FFP and the other rules they’ve broken, and almost either way we will see a big change. Either they let them off with it and the rules mean nothing, or the slap them with some sort of relevant sporting and financial punishment and the rules will change because those that control them won’t like that. Or, probably more likely they will get some token fine of a million pounds, and a transfer embargo (like that’s means anything to their squad) for a year or something and that’ll be it.

The players won’t care I would probably say though.

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They had the medals stripped off them so probably not that fondly

22 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Juventus lost 2 titles and were relegated, I think Rangers got stripped of one and relegated 4 tiers

English authorities will bottle it and City will get a 15 point penalty and a slap on the wrist when should be relegated about 10 divisions

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Juventus lost 2 titles and were relegated, I think Rangers got stripped of one and relegated 4 tiers

English authorities will bottle it and City will get a 15 point penalty and a slap on the wrist when should be relegated about 10 divisions

Yeah they will, I think it’s probably collusion rather than not having the bottle though. The whole thing stinks

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Even if the titles aren't stripped away, if they're found guilty and heavily punished in other ways, it taints pretty much everything won in the Abu Dhabi era.

I see players say this all the time, often to justify moves to bigger clubs, something along the lines of when I retire I want to look back at my career with trophies and medals to show for it. Something to tell my grandkids about etc. Wonder if this kind of thing would ruin that sentiment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

It’s been like that since the 90’s

Not as bad as this. You had a glimmer of hope in the 90s now you have no chance. 

City Newcastle lawyers have unlimited wealth ans have better lawyers than the rule makers thats crazy and mental

44 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Does anyone really believe that we can truely compete with man citeh ?

No chance. They have the best of absolutely everything. Zero jeopardy when you can keep who you want, buy who you want. Goes a bit wrong? Never mind we’ll buy another. Keep world class players fresh all season by constantly rotating them with other world class players whereas one or two injuries to a non-nation state owned club would see them crippled or at least; a very noticeable drop off. See Arsenal.

Even if you play a perfect game against them, lets say even go 2-0 up going into the closing stages, all they need is a good 5 minutes to turn it around. I think the only way we get competitive football back again is if they set out parameters that every PL club will be given the exact same budget for transfers and wages. 

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Not as bad as this. You had a glimmer of hope in the 90s now you have no chance. 

City Newcastle lawyers have unlimited wealth ans have better lawyers than the rule makers thats crazy and mental

It was all Liverpool in the 80s, all Man U in the 90s and early 2000s.

The most competitive it has been in ages is probably the 2010s when Chelsea and Man City broke up duopoly, even Leicester got a look in there. 

Now it’s back to being dominated by Manchester, just the blue version this time. 

5 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

No chance. They have the best of absolutely everything. Zero jeopardy when you can keep who you want, buy who you want. Goes a bit wrong? Never mind we’ll buy another. Keep world class players fresh all season by constantly rotating them with other world class players whereas one or two injuries to a non-nation state owned club would see them crippled or at least; a very noticeable drop off. See Arsenal.

Even if you play a perfect game against them, lets say even go 2-0 up going into the closing stages, all they need is a good 5 minutes to turn it around. I think the only way we get competitive football back again is if they set out parameters that every PL club will be given the exact same budget for transfers and wages. 

That would still be broken and they'd still be on top due to the squad they already have. The top of the line staff they already hired etc.

Â