Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

I agree Rev. Though I think it's different in the sense that - for the ridiculous amounts they earn, do you still chase every last pound you can get, like we would in our normal jobs? It's not facetious to ask is someone who earns £6m a year happier than someone who earns £5.5m? It's not like the difference between paying a mortgage for us - jumping from £50k to £100k. That can be life changing. But for them? Granted, the more you earn, the higher your running costs but at some point it becomes a little superfluous no?

my feelings exactly

why would somone turn down £80k a week to ask for £100k a week? greed is the only answer i can think of, im not having this ambition or start something special nonsense, the worst thing is how it impacts the likes of us, if we wanted to sign bellamy for example, im pretty sure petrov left cos his contract was up, but if bolton wanted to transfer him what would his wage demands be?

city are going to have a reserve team of winston bogardes IMO

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would somone turn down £80k a week to ask for £100k a week?

Or more to the point, if someone offered you £100k per week why would you turn it down to sign for £80k per week?

Or more to the point, if someone offered you £100k per week why would you turn it down to sign for £80k per week?

because £80k a week doesnt exactly make you poor, these arent guys on the breadline trying to ensure futures for their kids

if you were talking those figures a year i can understand it, but when players are making huge sideways steps or even backwards steps to city i find it hard to put it down to anything other than greed

Yaya Toure's getting £220,000 per week at Man City according to NOTW

£56m over five years. That's not a bad bit of work if you can get it.

That's about half what A-Roid gets...

I guess that's true, but how many of Man City's signings have gone to Man City because they actually wanted to.

Milner wanted to come here because he enjoyed his loan spell here, he wanted to work with MON and build a young English team to force his way into the England team. The amount of money he's paid is a sweetener, not a sole reason.

probably worth bearing in mind that City now have arguably the best squad in the premiership. As well as earning a shed load you can play alongside some of europes best players and have a great shot at some trophies. Not a bad sweetener. Why wouldnt you go there?

I'm offering little with this post, but I just wanted to say...

I ABSOLUTELY HATE MAN CITY!

Don't fret, they'll be relegated within the next ten years.

I guess that's true, but how many of Man City's signings have gone to Man City because they actually wanted to.

Milner wanted to come here because he enjoyed his loan spell here, he wanted to work with MON and build a young English team to force his way into the England team. The amount of money he's paid is a sweetener, not a sole reason.

probably worth bearing in mind that City now have arguably the best squad in the premiership. As well as earning a shed load you can play alongside some of europes best players and have a great shot at some trophies. Not a bad sweetener. Why wouldnt you go there?

Because he will beocme one of about 10 top class midfielders, City won't accomadate where he wants to be played, they will always be on the lookout for new signings and the club is totally devoid of any soul nowadays. Where is the sense of achievement for a player winning trophies this way too?

At Villa he will have a team built around him.

For footballing reasons alone he should definately give it another season at Villa.

For footballing reasons alone he should definately give it another season at Villa.

depends if he wants a shot at winning the PL, and playing in the CL, and even winning it.

I can see why an ambitious player would now go to Citeh. It isn't "just" for the money, IMO.

depends if he wants a shot at winning the PL, and playing in the CL, and even winning it.

I can see why an ambitious player would now go to Citeh. It isn't "just" for the money, IMO.

also he might not get this chance again as maybe next season he is poor and all the big money talk goes away

also he might not get this chance again as maybe next season he is poor and all the big money talk goes away

Well if he is piss poor he won't be in City's team will he.

Because he will beocme one of about 10 top class midfielders, City won't accomadate where he wants to be played, they will always be on the lookout for new signings and the club is totally devoid of any soul nowadays. Where is the sense of achievement for a player winning trophies this way too?

At Villa he will have a team built around him.

if he is good enough it wont matter if hes one of ten. As long as hes starting and earning trophies. If he rates himself then he has to fancy that he will play, why spend 30m on him not to play him. (if they do of course). Just about every club who wins the league does it through spending money. do you really think the chelsea players piled their trophies into boxes because they'd "bought" them.

Everyone buys the league now, the level of spending may change but its still bought. Who was the last top player to come through the chelsea/united ranks?

because £80k a week doesnt exactly make you poor, these arent guys on the breadline trying to ensure futures for their kids

if you were talking those figures a year i can understand it, but when players are making huge sideways steps or even backwards steps to city i find it hard to put it down to anything other than greed

That doesn't answer the question.

If you were offered £100k per week or £80k per week, which would you choose?

It's very well sniffing at it, but it's their living. They are going to try and do as well out of it as possible.

The FA need to bring in squad caps. Stop the Sugar Daddy'd teams buying up all the talent with their limitless funds.

Say, 26-30 registered players for the season.

Ummm...you know that they've already done that with a squad size of 25?

It's very well sniffing at it, but it's their living. They are going to try and do as well out of it as possible.

It depends on the variables. Does the place offering 80k a week have it's positives? i.e. Travelling time, location and area, reputation etc...

For example, living in Dudley, if West Bromwich Albion offered me 80k a week to play for them, and I had Stoke City offering 100k a week to play for them, i'd accept the WBa offer.

The FA need to bring in squad caps. Stop the Sugar Daddy'd teams buying up all the talent with their limitless funds.

Say, 26-30 registered players for the season.

Ummm...you know that they've already done that with a squad size of 25?

When was that?

We're Villa fans, we struggle to comprehend the concept of squad limits.

When they changed the number of substitutes from 5 to 7 many of us wondered if we had enough players.

It is different being offered both and asked to choose or being Rio Ferdinand and turning down £110k a week and demaning £130k a week.

Â