Car insurance. Think im fucked!

McKagan

I recently had a fault accident that has resulted in my car being written off. The claim is currently going through ans in the meantime my insurance company has asked for my driving licence. However, when i have looked at the licence my paper part is fine BUT my card part has expired. Of course i have now renewed online but when the card comes it will only be effective from the date i applied for it. As such when i supply my licences to my insurance company my paper one will be fine but my card will show that it wasnt in date at the time of the accident. Im now worried that the insurance company (saga) will deem my cover invalid.

Anyone here work in car insurance confirm my fears?

Sorry to hear about that mate.

Not sure.... because the paper licence should be sufficient - it contains all of the same details.

See the attached link - its 3 years old but basically says it doesn't revoke your ability to legally drive but it COULD leave you open to action from the DVLA for "failure to surrender" your licence. (Max £1000 fine) If you've already tried to renew before the DVLA become aware you should be fine though.

Clicky

As for the insurer, if its ok with the DVLA the insurer should be fine too but check their T&Cs very closely.

Good luck mate.

If your Photo Driving Licence has expired, you can be fined up to £1,000. It should be renewed every 10 years, but if you fail to do so, it can result in your driving licence becoming invalid.

I get the impression you are still legally driving but the insurance company may try and use that as a get out of jail free card for not paying

just send the paper version to the insurance company for now and hope they don't ask for the other bit

Edit .. Tooo slow , d'oh

Its the paper part of the licence they are asking for, the card part means nothing to them as it does not state any endorsments on it.

I can understand you stressing but just send the paper part, i sent the card once as couldnt find paper and they said it was the paper they wanted.

Cheers, feel slightly better but still gonna be a nerve racking few days/weeks while it all goes through. So many conflicting stories/facts online - some say im good others say im getting sent to the gallows. Ill send just the paper part tonight and see what happens

Also, it doesnt matter that you have just renewed, it could have been for a whole host of reasons like you wanted to change your photo. When my car was stripped down they asked for my license even though I wasnt anywhere near the vehicle, it was just an admin thing. My license was still at my old address so I sent it away and made the insurers wait till it came back before I sent it them. Much like yours it would have a different date on it, I really wouldnt worry too much.

haha no Rob, its thowd queens policy (me mams), was driving her car while mine had its MOT. In that case QuakeAV, you'll be more clued up than most - slippery gits or honest insurance professionals? :)

Saga???

Are you over 50 then?

I used to work for there claims department. Its like hell on Earth!

My missus' sister in law just quit from there a month ago, and has moved from Foilkstone to sunny Shard End to be near family!!!

What happens with the many many drivers who have no photocard licence?

I assumed everyone had to have a photocard licence by now, I've even had to renew mine once.

You only need to renew when:

Your licence expires (typically the day before you're 70th birthday)

OR

A change of address.

I've had none of the above in the past 14 years which is before the photocard started. As such, I've still got just the paper licence that, having fell to bits 10 years ago, is held together with lots of sellotape! Even so, a decaying paper licence has never been a problem with various worldwide car rental companies or the UK police. :oops:

The paper part is the more important part, i used to work for a company and did numerous dvla checks where the card had expired. I got the same response everytime from the dvla that it wasn't an issue as it was still a valid driving licence.

If you look on the back of the photocard you will see the dates that your licence is actually valid for. Although you are supposed to renew your licence before the date on the front, more to do with updating your photo, it shouldn't be an issue. It's those that have changed address and not notified the dvla that really face the fine.

What happens with the many many drivers who have no photocard licence?

I assumed everyone had to have a photocard licence by now, I've even had to renew mine once.

Nope, lots don't.

My company also does camera hire and as part of our insurance we need to take scans of 2 types of photo ID, we ask for driving license and passport and I'd say 1 in 5 or so email back saying 'what other types of photo ID do you accept as I only have paper license'.

My mum and dad both also only have paper licenses.

Worth noting that once you have a photo licence you then need to update it more regularly with consequences if you don't.

On the subject of photo i.d. I was in a supermarket a couple of weeks ago with a couple of people and the till manager wouldn't accept an army photo i.d. or an MoJ photo i.d. as proof, even though the youngest amongst us was clearly in his mid 30's.

Your licence hasn't expired. It is valid until the expiry date (which could be many years in the future) or until you have your licence taken off you for motoring offences of a certain number /and/or nature.

Â