London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

17.81 in the tripplejump, I guess Christian Taylor sealed that gold.

He is miles ahead of the competition but still nowhere near Jonathan Edwards' world record (18:29). Makes you realise just how brilliant Edwards was.

And how do Jamaica produce so many great sprinters? Population wise it's smaller than the West Midlands and they produce so much talent, both male and female. The female team almost **** the baton changes up and didnt win their semi final but they clearly had the fastest runners in the race. What is their secret?

He is miles ahead of the competition but still nowhere near Jonathan Edwards' world record (18:29). Makes you realise just how brilliant Edwards was.

Edwards was a freeeeaaak. His wind-aided 18.43 in just 2.4m/s is on par with anything done in track and field, ever.

And how do Jamaica produce so many great sprinters? Population wise it's smaller than the West Midlands and they produce so much talent, both male and female. The female team almost **** the baton changes up and didnt win their semi final but they clearly had the fastest runners in the race. What is their secret?

Complete stab in the dark guess...

Jamaican population has a considerable percentage that has it's ancestry in West Africa, which has a notable population with a genetic advantage to sprinting (being blessed with more than normal amounts of fast twitch muscle). Jamaica having such a population so tightly packed into such a small area has given them a pool of potential talent for sprinting. Being somewhat under US influence, they've also had the opportunity to invest in a higher standard of training than many nations might, particularly given their size.

So - a combination of a concentrated population of genetically advantaged people, and the influence of top standard training, leads to an immensely talented field of athletes.

NB - I have absolutely no idea how accurate that is, but at least some of it is true (West African genetics and the potential to concentrate them in a small population in particular).

Complete stab in the dark guess...

Jamaican population has a considerable percentage that has it's ancestry in West Africa, which has a notable population with a genetic advantage to sprinting (being blessed with more than normal amounts of fast twitch muscle). Jamaica having such a population so tightly packed into such a small area has given them a pool of potential talent for sprinting. Being somewhat under US influence, they've also had the opportunity to invest in a higher standard of training than many nations might, particularly given their size.

So - a combination of a concentrated population of genetically advantaged people, and the influence of top standard training, leads to an immensely talented field of athletes.

NB - I have absolutely no idea how accurate that is, but at least some of it is true (West African genetics and the potential to concentrate them in a small population in particular).

You just copied what Michael Johnson said. :winkold:

I think most of that is probably right though.

I've literally only just turned on the TV for the final so I had no idea what Michael Johnson said, but if he did say the same then greats minds and all that.

Interestingly the other night he kinda brushed off suggestions that genetic advantage matters that much, when asked about how Britain can compete with these seemingly superiorly gifted athletes from the West Indies and parts of Africa. He reckoned then that training and endeavour is far more important.

Probably, but do you think they will continue to dominate? Personally I do, because now the kids over there have new heroes. I guess they all want to be Bolt or Blake rather than Courtney Walsh so we will see more talent coming through than ever and Jamaica clearly now has the infrastructure and expertise to nurture that talent.

As for tonight?

Bolt (OR)

Blake

Spearmon

I've literally only just turned on the TV for the final so I had no idea what Michael Johnson said, but if he did say the same then greats minds and all that.

Interestingly the other night he kinda brushed off suggestions that genetic advantage matters that much, when asked about how Britain can compete with these seemingly superiorly gifted athletes from the West Indies and parts of Africa. He reckoned then that training and endeavour is far more important.

They just had a 10 minute nature v nurture debate on this exact subject of why Jamicans are so fast. So I guess great minds do really think alike. Michael Johnson said many similar things to you.

Immortality then? First man ever to defend the sprint double. Bolt and Blake so far ahead of everybody else though.

**edit**

He slowed down as he crossed the line too. Would have broke his own Olympic record if he had have kept it at full power.

Probably, but do you think they will continue to dominate? Personally I do, because now the kids over there have new heroes. I guess they all want to be Bolt or Blake rather than Courtney Walsh so we will see more talent coming through than ever and Jamaica clearly now has the infrastructure and expertise to nurture that talent.

As for tonight?

Bolt (OR)

Blake

Spearmon

I think so, they're developing a culture for it. Being dominant at something is quite the catalyst to maintain that standing. They clearly have the inherent talent, they're only going to gain more from the world of cutting edge training trickling down from the big, big boys... they could dominate for a very long time imo.

After Bolt there won't be such an obvious advantage however of course. He's a complete freak occurance.

Â