Relegation - Merged

Amo69

QPR's run-in will kill them. They've the toughest of us all. If all things were equal I'd expect them to survive. Thankfully things are not equal and I don't think they will. Which is kind of a shame because I like Tony Fernandes.

And out of that tough run in they've just took 6 points from Arsenal & Liverpool, we got mauled at Arsenal and probably will get more of the same against Liverpool, QPR have players who can score goals and we don't, Gabby will never be prolific at all even in the championship next season he'll only manage about 10-12 goals tops, I got 20/1 six weeks ago on us going down as even back then I couldn't see us being good enough to survive.

Love him or hate him I would rather have a player with the fight of Joey Barton in my team in a relegation fight.

And I'd rather have Mark Hughes in our corner than McLeish.

Edit - Please don't read that as me wishing we had Barton in our team as nothing could be further from the truth.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QPR's run-in will kill them. They've the toughest of us all. If all things were equal I'd expect them to survive. Thankfully things are not equal and I don't think they will. Which is kind of a shame because I like Tony Fernandes.

And out of that tough run in they've just took 6 points from Arsenal & Liverpool, we got mauled at Arsenal and probably will get more of the same against Liverpool, QPR have players who can score goals and we don't, Gabby will never be prolific at all even in the championship next season he'll only manage about 10-12 goals tops, I got 20/1 six weeks ago on us going down as even back then I couldn't see us being good enough to survive.

Love him or hate him I would rather have a player with the fight of Joey Barton in my team in a relegation fight.

Would rather have a player with the skill of Joey Barton than the current crop as well tbh.

At the risk of starting the Barton argument up again, I'd rather see us relegated than sign that word removed.

Gabby would score loads in the Championship, 20 plus. And the club have not been relegated yet.

At the risk of starting the Barton argument up again, I'd rather see us relegated than sign that word removed.

Yup, horrible excuse for a human being.

Wigan are the ones below I am watching most closely. Yes they have 3 tough games coming up, but I believe they are the ones most likely to get out of it. They were adrift in January, but from nowhere they have sneaked up. They are going to do a last day houdini act again. Their last game is against a Wolves team who will already be relegated.

I posted this the other day. Last season, Wigan were on 27 points and bottom with 9 games to go. Over those next 9 games they managed 15 points and finished on 42, sending SHA, Blackpool and West Ham down.

People make the mistake of judging teams on how they have done up to this point. The reality is that they are fighting for their lives and they will always pull surprise results out of the hat.

Not to mention, Martinez outwitted our leader at this stage last season. There is every chance that he will do it again.

It is a surprise that QPR are down there given the strength of their squad. In saying that, they seem to click on Saturday and from what I have read, many fans are saying that was the best they have played all season.

Bolton have improved, so have Blackburn. It will be interesting how they get on tonight against Man Utd.

Apart from Wolves, it is not over yet.

Yep, Martninez - never panics, sticks with his guns and always succeeds.

A manager I like v much and was gutted when he turned us down.

Read somewhere that when he buys a player he gives them a period out of the team to allow them to settle in.

Is it just me or has Shaun Maloney come into the team 'on fire' after a massive spell out?

It's you. He's been ok, but hardly set the world alight.

As for Martinez, I think he's somewhat overrated.

He plays "the right way" (I hate that phrase) but to me the right way is winning and getting results. You could say he's done that, I'd say he was 30 seconds away from being relegated last year. If that had happened we wouldn't even be talking about him.

Nice guy, ok manager. Not good enough for us I don't think.

Although I'd have him here over McLeish in a heartbeat.

Wigan are the ones below I am watching most closely. Yes they have 3 tough games coming up, but I believe they are the ones most likely to get out of it. They were adrift in January, but from nowhere they have sneaked up. They are going to do a last day houdini act again. Their last game is against a Wolves team who will already be relegated.

I posted this the other day. Last season, Wigan were on 27 points and bottom with 9 games to go. Over those next 9 games they managed 15 points and finished on 42, sending SHA, Blackpool and West Ham down.

People make the mistake of judging teams on how they have done up to this point. The reality is that they are fighting for their lives and they will always pull surprise results out of the hat.

Not to mention, Martinez outwitted our leader at this stage last season. There is every chance that he will do it again.

It is a surprise that QPR are down there given the strength of their squad. In saying that, they seem to click on Saturday and from what I have read, many fans are saying that was the best they have played all season.

Bolton have improved, so have Blackburn. It will be interesting how they get on tonight against Man Utd.

Read somewhere that when he buys a player he gives them a period out of the team to allow them to settle in.

Is it just me or has Shaun Maloney come into the team 'on fire' after a massive spell out?

It's you. He's been ok, but hardly set the world alight.

As for Martinez, I think he's somewhat overrated.

He plays "the right way" (I hate that phrase) but to me the right way is winning and getting results. You could say he's done that, I'd say he was 30 seconds away from being relegated last year. If that had happened we wouldn't even be talking about him.

Nice guy, ok manager. Not good enough for us I don't think.

Although I'd have him here over McLeish in a heartbeat.

When you say 30 seconds away from relegation, are you referring to the West Ham game? I think if that was a draw they would have still stayed up on goal difference.

To paraphrase Jamie Redknapp the boy is quite literally on fire at the moment.

Agree with you about Martinez. Could have been a so much more enjoyable a season if he'd jumped ship....

Maloney really has been playing well for them. Was superb against Liverpool the other week.

I always thought he was a decent player whilst he was here. Always seemed to pop up with a goal. But like with most players needed a prolonged run in the team to really gel with the others around him. Unfortunately, that didnt happen for him here

agreed.

whilst its tempting to place money on us, pretty much anytime I do the predictor we're staying up. We are not going to lose every game. Wigan, Blackburn, QPR, Bolton either play each other or have too many games against sides competing for titles/europe to pick up a large enough swell of points.

let's take this weekend:

wigan aren't getting any points at chelsea , neither are qpr at man united. - I mean honestly, ok , anything can happen and maybe at other points in the season it's plausible. But at title closing season, Man Utd are the kings, they will win. Chelsea are revitalised and Torres has some confidence coming back, again, maybe at another point in the season under AVB it's possible, but with Chelsea desperate for that top 4 spot, they are both on 0.

now bolton could well win at home to fulham, fine lets give em 3 points(although note if bolton win that will be 4 on the bounce, which would be pretty impressive for any side). and wba-blackburn can go anyway, whilst I think west brom will win it, let's say blackburn pick up a point.

and us, ok lets say we lose to liverpool, I've got a feeling we can get a point given how shite their campaign are, but lets go with the majority pessimism and say a loss. We're 2 ahead of bolton, 3 of blackburn and still 5 ahead of qpr and wigan.

next round:

bolton at newcastle. Ok, anyone see newcastle yesterday? they are in great form, have great forwards and nullifed liverpool's threat. Say we've given bolton their 4 wins in a row, thats ending here in a defeat. But what the hell let's say it's a draw. Us v Stoke - a home game, we're more in need than they are, they've had a longer season, and are limping home in midtable. they are likely to have beaten and killed off wolves again on the saturday, and I can see us winning it tbh, but again, let's just say we call it a draw, they are a bogey team of sorts anyway. Blackburn v Liverpool? If we're being pessimistic and assuming we're ending Liverpool's run and giving them a win, then using that same logic a revitalised Liverpool carry that on here with a win at blackburn, but **** it, again, lets say blackburn nab a point. Wigan v United? :D ok, anyone thinking United aren't winning that is bonkers - time of the year etc imo. QPR v Swansea - ok, home win.

so 2 ahead of bolton, 3 ahead of qpr and blackburn, 5 ahead of wigan. ( that's with bolton and blackburn picking up impressive points and villa not beating stoke )

etc

whilst it's uncertain and unstable, you are still needing 3 teams to go on top 5 form for 7 games to overthrow us, and I would really caution against fans betting on us to go down.

I know obviously it COULD happen, but assigning brilliance to the other sides and shiteness to us is just pessimism bias. We've averaged a pathetic 1 and a bit points per game so far, and we'll do so to the end of the season, another 6 points and that will not be scaleable by enough sides.

All IN MY OPINION of course. Not stating this is factual, nor can I be certain, I just still feel its highly unlikely. But hey, I'll admit it if I'm wrong, if I am not too depressed :P

Just found a table from mid April last year.

After 32 games, Birmingham City had 38 points and were 15th, and the gap to the 18th place team was 5 points (Blackpool).

They finished the season with 39 points and in 18th place.

Very worrying from our point of view.

agreed.

whilst its tempting to place money on us, pretty much anytime I do the predictor we're staying up. We are not going to lose every game

Really???

I can see us losing every game quite easily.

To be honest if anybody deserves to down from this league its wolves and villa. both played terrible football all season and the leadership from both boards has been dreadful.

Villa at the moment are too much of an embarrassment to represent the english premier league.

the whole club is a joke from top to bottom.

"2 ahead of bolton, 3 ahead of qpr and blackburn"

It would only need to get to about that stage by the last game of the season to make it incredibly uncomfortable for us. And you've got there in just a couple of games. Considering I think a draw against Stoke is better than we can currently hope for, your post has actually left me more worried than I was before.

2nd April 2011

PL   GD    PTS

14.  Blackburn     31   -12   34

15.  Birmingham    30   -12   34

16.  Aston Villa	31	-14	34

17.  Blackpool     31   -18   33

-----------------------------------------------------

18.  West Ham	   31   -15   32

19.  Wolves	     31   -17   32

20.  Wigan	      31   -22   31
2nd April 2012
                   PL    GD   PTS

14.   West Brom     31   -7    36

15.	Aston Villa	30	-9	 33

16.	Bolton	     30   -24   29

17.	Blackburn     30   -19   28

-----------------------------------------------------

18.	QPR	        31   -19   28

19.	Wigan	      31   -27   28

20.	Wolves	     31   -35   22

So whats changed in a year apart from we have a worse squad and hardly any money, yet somehow we have not gone backwards yet