Relegation - Merged

Amo69

Just had a look over last seasons fixtures and results. In the last game 8 games the club got 15 points from the last 8 games, which is pretty impressive. 15 points out of a possible 24.

But last season Young, Downing were still at the club and Bent was in the team scoring goals.

From the last 8 games this season I would be happy with 5. That is how bad we are.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like last year, I'm not overly fussed about relegation.

Lots of away trips to places we've not been to in ages, our youth will feature heavilly, a new manager, no Heskey, a chance of finishing in the top half of the league and 3 free games on my season ticket.

It would probably be better than scrapping at the bottom of the league which we look destined to do next year if we stay up.

a new manager
The problem with this is, that's by no means a guarantee. I'm not letting myself think "at least if we go down McLeish will be gone" because that might not happen at all. Imagine that, languishing in the Championship with McLeish still at large.

12/1 - well n truly taken advantage of. Me n my mate were looking at it at 25s a couple of weeks ago. should have got on then

I am going to have some of that also at 12's when I get home.

We have no momentum now just a big bag of bad luck and excuses.

Much as I didn't buy it at the time - our terrible run last season was halted as senior players returned to the first 11, and a few goals from Darren Bent.

This season is much worse - our injuries won't clear up (Petrov, Dunne, Bent, Jenas) - and our impact signing (Keane) has departed.

In my opinion we have 2 winnable games, Stoke, Bolton - and I don't feel that confident about either.

Our staying up - is out of hands we need to rely on the others not picking up results - the real concern is Wigan who seem to have strung a few results together - which surprised me. I had wigan and wolves relegated - along with either bolton or blackburn - but I m not so confident now. -Basically we are right in there - the results on Saturday, our injuries, Mcleishs history of end of season collapse's lead me to beleive, for the first time this season that relegation is a distinct possibility. - If it happens I would blame lerner - appoint a twice relegated manager - don't be to surprised if you get relegated.

How many pages was the GED relegation thread

Were we this worried 12 months ago ? I don't think so

I don't think so either.

And I think that's because, like him or not, we were always confident with Houllier's team that we would pick up points.

Yes we weren't very good, but you could see the team were still creating things and we could still score goals and have a bit of vision and drive about us.

It was a leaky defence that cost us under Houllier as much as anything.

But with mcLeish, I and many others genuinely don't see anything to suggest we WILL pick up enough points.

I think we will scrape through, but I'm not confident. I wouldn't pin point where we'll get the points because we are capable of losing to any and all of the teams we're left to face.

At the time I didn't want Martinez but if I had known we'd end up with McLeish I would've loved him here. I think this season just proves how much of a blow it was when we didn't get Martinez. His Wigan are a mere 5 points below us despite the massive gulf in resources. They also don't play the most negative football in the league either.

Wigan are in good form at the minute 1 defeat in 8 games out of all the teams at the bottom id say they are the most likely to get out of it

Wigans next 4 games

Chelsea a

Man utd h

Arsenal a

Fulham a.

If they get more than 1 point out of those fixtures il give £5 to VT

12/1 - well n truly taken advantage of. Me n my mate were looking at it at 25s a couple of weeks ago. should have got on then

Yes I got on at 12-1 too. Might as well make some cash out of any potential doom. Would rather stay up and lose my stake though.

Wigan are in good form at the minute 1 defeat in 8 games out of all the teams at the bottom id say they are the most likely to get out of it

Wigans next 4 games

Chelsea a

Man utd h

Arsenal a

Fulham a.

If they get more than 1 point out of those fixtures il give £5 to VT

I will re quote this when it happens. I think they will get 3 points from this lot.

Wigan are the ones below I am watching most closely. Yes they have 3 tough games coming up, but I believe they are the ones most likely to get out of it. They were adrift in January, but from nowhere they have sneaked up. They are going to do a last day houdini act again. Their last game is against a Wolves team who will already be relegated.