Relegation - Merged

Amo69

Looking at the next set of fixtures, it will all become clear after that. By Sunday evening we will know whether this can be moved to other football or not.

You don't seriously think we'll get a point (let alone 3) against Chelsea do you?

He means that QPR are playing Arsenal, Wolves are playing Bolton, and Wigan are playing Stoke.

You'd expect Arsenal, Stoke & possibly Bolton to win, which would pretty much rule us out of getting sucked into a relegation battle.

Not that we had much chance of that happening anyway.

QPR will beat Arsenal, Wigan will beat Stoke and Bolton will beat Wolves and Chelsea will beat Villa

Chelsea are playing Benfica either side of playing us. I think their team selection will be interesting and tomorrow's first leg result will have a big bearing on that. I think we'll beat Chelsea 1-0.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it comes down to our home games against Stoke, Bolton and Sunderland.

We would pretty much have to lose our 9 remaining games to go down. But anything is possible under McLeish.

I was weighing up the rest of our season and came to the exact same conclusion. I think those 3 games will be massive for us and we have to make sure we take at least 5 points from them imo. I think it is possible we might pinch a draw at WBA or Norwich but to be certain I think we need 5 points from those 3 home games.

Have just seen the highlights of the Arsenal game and so shocked at how apathetic our players appeared.

There was no urgency, team work or drive amongst the players - no one seemed bothered when passes went awry (and they went awry a lot by the looks of it) and confidence was totally absent.

AMc has to take a portion of the blame here - he's the man charged with setting the team up tactically and mentally... His continual negativity and openess about how we can't compete against the 'Elite' teams appears to have sapped any desire for the players to perform for this club.

Continue like this, our better players will want to leave and new blood will not want to join.

We may scrape survival this season (although the way we're going we could easily be relegated) but I cannot see matters improving any time soon.

I'm with you Richard. Until we're mathmatically safe we're still in trouble imo. The worrying thing is that some of the teams below are picking up wins here and there, whereas we have had one fortunate victory in recent weeks. I can see the gap between us and the relegation zone closing right up over the next few weeks. We rarely make life comfortable for ourselves, and I can see it going down to the last game before we know either way. We just don't have that extra special bit of quality in our squad anymore, that bit of quality that can grab a victory from nothing.

I have to say that Wigan win at Anfield was a horrible surprise. Liverpool are doing their best to keep the relegation battle exciting. They might do the unthinkable again and stay up. The only team doomed is Wolves, every other team down there is still fighting.

I still can't see it. We're as likely to pick up points as the rest of them and we have an 8pt headstart. Of course we shouldn't be down there at all, but I really can't see it getting any worse than this. Not for this season anyway.

9 point headstart when goal difference is taken into account plus a game in hand against Bolton, who are still fighting on two fronts, thats at least another game plus the Muamba effect will have been totally played out by then.

Yes we could never ever get a point against elite clubs like Chelsea, we never ever beat them… and when was the last time a McLeish managed team pulled that stunt off…

Look what I'm trying to say is, that people should be a bit more positive, sure its not all rosy right now but I can't see us playing the remaining games and getting nothing. I think we'll beat Bolton, I think we'll get at least a point against Liverpool, a draw against Spurs isn't out of the question and we really are a bogey side for Chelsea

I've cooled down a little bit after the joke of Saturday, more so McLieshs comments than the performance. I think we need 3 more points. We still got Sunderland, Bolton, WBA, Stoke and Norwich to play so we should some how mange a win or 3 draws from there. Still a joke we are in this position thou.

This for me. I think we only need a few points to be 100% safe and I imagine we will sneak a lucky win or more likely get enough draws to be safe. The win against Fulham was massive, just imagine how much pressure we'd be under had McLeish thrown Heskey on to see out that game rather than Weimann

9 point headstart when goal difference is taken into account plus a game in hand against Bolton, who are still fighting on two fronts, thats at least another game plus the Muamba effect will have been totally played out by then.

Yes we could never ever get a point against elite clubs like Chelsea, we never ever beat them… and when was the last time a McLeish managed team pulled that stunt off…

Look what I'm trying to say is, that people should be a bit more positive, sure its not all rosy right now but I can't see us playing the remaining games and getting nothing. I think we'll beat Bolton, I think we'll get at least a point against Liverpool, a draw against Spurs isn't out of the question and we really are a bogey side for Chelsea

yeah, i watched bolton and all this muamba stuff, they still looked poor. we still have 3 winnable home games in stoke, sunderland and bolton and 2 tough home games against chelsea and spurs, and we have a decent record against chelsea, throw in a derby against a hit and miss west brom, and a norwich team that weve already beaten this season.

theres no reason we wont get another 10 points.

Take a look at this:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-fans-look-away-now-What-the-Premier-League-table-would-look-like-if-the-season-started-in-January-article884186.html (sorry, I don't know to link properly.

If you look, all of the teams around us have picked up between 5 and 12 points in 10-12 games...with 8 games to go and us not looking like picking up many points between now and May, it seems quite plausible that any number of the bottom clubs could pull out some huge results and grab the 10 points needed to see us down...

I do acknowledge that they have to play each other as well as some difficult sides...but it just shows that we're not as safe as people seem to think! A win would probably see us safe though...

Take a look at this:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-fans-look-away-now-What-the-Premier-League-table-would-look-like-if-the-season-started-in-January-article884186.html (sorry, I don't know to link properly.

If you look, all of the teams around us have picked up between 5 and 12 points in 10-12 games...with 8 games to go and us not looking like picking up many points between now and May, it seems quite plausible that any number of the bottom clubs could pull out some huge results and grab the 10 points needed to see us down...

I do acknowledge that they have to play each other as well as some difficult sides...but it just shows that we're not as safe as people seem to think! A win would probably see us safe though...

Looking at that league table I notice that Liverpool have moved up,Bolton have moved down but the other 5 teams are still the same ( that includes us )

Yeah, you're right, what I'm showing though is that the teams around us ARE capable of picking up the necessary points...especially with the games we have to play!

You are right, but luckly for us we have a gap between us and them and I think that all we need is 2-3 points and the others will not be able to overtake us.

It"s next season that worries me cause we will get rid of some players and replace them with bosman"s and on top of that the teams that come up could all be better than the bottom 4 that we have this season.

Take a look at this:

Thanks for posting this. I was trying to post a scan of it I did on Sunday from the Observer but I lost my battle with photobucket to produce an image that was neither massively large nor incredibly tiny.

I'm not sure why you treat it as such bad news though. It shows that all clubs in the bottom 6 are struggling for points, so emphasising how improbable it is that three of the teams will suddenly start picking up loads more points and make up the 9 points on us that would be needed for us to sink into the bottom 3.

It is of course very bad news for Liverpool... 8)

(PS, how hard is it to do short links?)

I still think we'll go down, I thought that when McLeish was appointed and nothing at all I've seen this season has even made me come close to changing my mind, I really hope I'm wrong though...