Gaming 2012

packoman

For future reference, don't be too concerned about broken cases. It will vary shop to shop but we were never that bothered, provided the case was still largely in tact (i.e. it worked as a case) we didn't care. Some shops might be more stringent but I doubt they'd be too concerned about a loose disc. They might even just switch the case themselves, we did that a few times.

Urgh! Steam is going to kill me; it's so insane. Already picked up The Binding of Isaac and Jamestown for barely nothing. Also, Warlock - Master of the arcane and its dlc for about a fiver. The option to vote for which game you want 75% off on, every 8 hours or so is great fun.

I've just seen that they've announced at Comicon that Deadpool is getting his own videogame. I'll have to keep my eye on this. Obviously there's a chance this could be utter garbage but hopefully it'll be a whole lot of fun.

They've started off well for me, Nolan North as Deadpool gets my vote. I love that guy.

You can watch the announcement trailer here.

The best thing to assume with that, is that it will be garbage. High Moon, the developer, doesn't have a great track record to date, and to do a really good Deadpool game, you need to make smart and brave decisions. It'll be a really run of the mill action game at best imo, with a quirky sense of humour.

Probably. Ah well, maybe in 20 years from now after various studios attempt to make Deadpool games and fail miserably then Rocksteady will finally give it a go and make an absolute gem.

The best thing to assume with that, is that it will be garbage. High Moon, the developer, doesn't have a great track record to date, and to do a really good Deadpool game, you need to make smart and brave decisions. It'll be a really run of the mill action game at best imo, with a quirky sense of humour.

They made War for Cybertron which was awesome and are making Fall of Cybertron at the moment, they also made that average yet solid Bourne Conspiracy game. Hardly a stellar record but solid none the less.

War for Cybertron is usually considered the best Transformers game... but it's also generally considered pretty average at best. And that's the studio's best game. They've a record for being middling - I suspect it'll continue.

This weeks PS+ freebie is saints row 2. Again, i havent played it, so ive picked it up. Theres also Tomb Raider guardian of light, i think its called...any good? ive never liked tomb raider much though

• 4 weeks later...

An expensive but fun couple of months gaming coming up. AC 3, FIFA, COD and Halo all released within a few weeks! Not sure what i'm looking forwards to most!!

Question for Halo fans - I haven't played Halo since the first one, and tbh I can hardly remember it, do you recommend getting the 360 releases to date or will it not make much difference with regards to the storyline etc...? Are they any good?

A lot comes down to if you actually like the Halo experience. I personally don't but, ODST asides, I've played all the 360 iterations. I don't think you're going to miss much as far as story goes if thats all that is making you think you want to play them, 4 is effectively Halo starting over whilst also maintaining the existing canon.

If you do want to play them, imo none of them really beat the original but Reach isn't bad, a prequel to the whole shebang it was more or less the last hurrah for Bungie and it shows, very polished Halo experience. 3 isn't great. Anniversary is alright, the original game shows its age even under the new clothes.

Have to say I'm really looking forward to the new Halo. I've been a huge fan of Halo since they started mainly for the multiplayer gameplay rather than the story.

Halo 1&2 were both fantastic

Halo3 was a bit meh.. didn't really make the jump it could have.

Halo Reach was okay.... Multiplayer didn't quite work though.

But Halo 4 looks excellent, looks like classic Halo gameplay with much improved graphics. The Halo Vets who have played it so far say it feels really good.

Though, I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, will make a nice change from the COD franchise anyway.

Question for Halo fans - I haven't played Halo since the first one, and tbh I can hardly remember it, do you recommend getting the 360 releases to date or will it not make much difference with regards to the storyline etc...? Are they any good?

They're all very good games, well-made etc. but the campaign modes have never been anything particularly special, not for me anyway. It's all about the multiplayer experience in my opinion.

As for whether you should pick up the other games so you understand the story, well from the looks of the trailers for Halo 4 it does seem to pick it up right where Bungie left off. Whether or not it's worth buying Halo 2, 3 ODST and Reach though, it's up to you. I would say Halo 2 has one of the weakest stories in the campaign, 3 picks it up a little better, ODST is pretty much stand alone but a completely different Halo experience, very atmospheric, it's hard to describe but I appreciated the fact it was a little different, and Reach is a prequel and also feels a little different but is still enjoyable enough.

It really is up to you, they're all fun to play but nothing mind-blowing. You could just as easily check online and read up on the stories of the games and get familiar with the canon. It might not be quite the same thing obviously, it depends if you want to spend the money and the time playing through the games. If you have those things and you really do love the Halo universe, then fair enough. If not, search the internet and get reading.

For story I would strongly suggest you play Halo Reach and Halo: Combat Evolved. Probably in that order as Combat Evolved starts about 30 seconds after Reach ends.

The story in Halo 2 & 3 is mostly filler and bullshit. Especially Halo 2.

Last months PSN freebie game was Dead Space 2, which I already have so wasn't so lucky that time. New releases were out yesterday, and they're offering Borderlands and Just Cause 2. I played the demo of Just Cause 2 and thought it was pretty fun, and of course the huge map is often lauded, so that's stuck on my download list to have a crack at some time in the future.

Â