Gaming 2012

packoman

Dishonored is starting to pique my interest. Deus Ex in Steampunk/magic addled fascist Victorian London fantasy land, basically. You play a former bodyguard for the Empress, framed for her murder, who is then given supernatural powers, allowing his escape and becoming embroiled in a revolutionary resistance movement.

You get the usual set of power, time slowing etc, as well as others like an ability to possess more or less any living creature which opens up lots of avenues for stealthy gameplay - using a fish to swim up a drain to enter a building on the sly, for instance, is the one they've shown off the most, but they've also shown possessing a target you've been assigned to assassinate so you can make him walk out onto a balcony where you wait to push him to his death.

Looks very interesting and seems to have a multitude of options being made for missions. It's even appears they're not just doing a stealth approach, and a guns blazing approach, there are numerous ways of doing your missions stealthily, multiple ways of brute forcing it.

About my only worries for it are that the art style doesn't work for me (it's too stylised, too comic/cartoon-y. A few notches towards 'realism' and it would be perfect, especially as I love the designs they've got, they've just chosen the wrong style choice for those designs. I can't help wondering if they've made that style choice out of convenience/necessity with todays hardware...) and also that the amount of options you get, a large number of powers and weapons available, looks slightly overwhelming.

Looking good though, check it out. IT really does look like a game that wanted to do what Deus Ex promised when it first arrived, as opposed to what Deus Ex became.

Almost every game I'm after will be coming out at the same time, sigh.

Borderlands 2, Hitman Absolution, AC3, Halo 4, probably Res 6

That to go along with Fifa and probably CoD

And hopefully GTA V. Hopefully.

Word is that Halo might be borrowing some elements of COD's multiplayer IIRC. In fairness, while the COD franchise has done nothing new inside 5 years, Halo hasn't exactly innovated it's socks off either. I'm not convinced 4 is going to be a marked change from it's predecessors - the formula is popular, they're not going to fiddle with it too much until they have to.

An awful lot of this years releases have slipped to early next year now. Could lead to an interesting period from say, September through to about May next year.

Halo would be one of the few games I'd buy on release (or close to) these days. GTA and FIFA being probably the only others.

Don't care about all the criticisms levelled at previous Halo games (I'm talking Halo, Halo 2 and Halo 3. Haven't played Reach or Halow Wars etc)

I've loved them.

It's probably really cheap now. It's a direct prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved so if you are into the story then its well worth it.

Halo would be one of the few games I'd buy on release (or close to) these days. GTA and FIFA being probably the only others.

Don't care about all the criticisms levelled at previous Halo games (I'm talking Halo, Halo 2 and Halo 3. Haven't played Reach or Halow Wars etc)

I've loved them.

I'm almost exactly the same.

I'd like to play more games, but the only one I really bother with these days is FIFA. I used to play FM on the PC all the time, but I've left that for a while - it's an addiction! I did play Arkham Asylum recently and loved it, then got Arkham City which was really good, too.

However, I think the only game I'll buy on release for quite a while, other than FIFA 13, is Halo 4. The first Halo came bundled with my original Xbox, and I've never been a fan of first person shooters, but when I got bored and tried it I became hooked. Definitely one of my favourite games ever. Halo 2 and 3 weren't as good, but still enjoyable and I really liked the storyline. Never played Reach (but have been recommended it) or any of the other instalments, but I'll certainly be purchasing Halo 4. I just hope it's good!

I don't 'get' Halo. They don't grab me. I've played the first, on PC and now the 360, Halo 3 and Reach, and while I can't say they're bad games (they aren't) theres just something about them that stops me loving them. The Flood always used to kill those game stone dead for me, making the game become an instant chore. But Reach doesn't really suffer from that and still... just something about it.

Yeah, as I say plenty of people don't like them.

Don't know why I do, I just love them. Maybe it's because I don't really keep up to date with gaming these days, so all these other games of that ilk that are probably way better, I hardly play any of them.

But I'd much rather play a Halo game than, say, COD. I don't really play multiplayer on any games apart from FIFA. So Halo is a good FPS game with a decent and long storyline that keeps me occupied for a long time (as opposed to COD which you can normall complete in a few hours)

Spelunky is out this week for XBLA if anyone has a masochistic gaming itch they need to scratch. Platforming in randomly generated levels with 1 life - die and back to the beginning you go. One of those games you'll never get some(many?) of the achievements - one of them is finish the game (in it's entirety) in 8 minutes. Which is doable theoretically but quite mindnumbingly difficult.

Yeah, but the Amiga style graphics were part of the charm of the game. I'm not sure I'd pay £10 (or whatever Microsoft are asking) for a game which is three or four years old and free on another platform.

This weeks PS+ freebie is Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Seems I've lucked out again as it's a game that has been praised alot, but I never got round to playing.

This weeks PS+ freebie is Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Seems I've lucked out again as it's a game that has been praised alot, but I never got round to playing.

In my top 5 of this generation, superb game.

Didn't think this question warranted a separate thread but when trading in games, does the box have to be in mint condition? The little bit that holds the disc in place in the box has broken so the disc sits in the box loose. Just wondering whether to bother taking it down with the others when I go to Gamestation this week?

Cheers in advance for any response.

Â