Gaming 2012

packoman

Dragons Dogma can't come out fast enough. I've had my eye on the game since it was first announced but back then, in its unfinished form, the gaming press seemed disappointingly luke-warm to it. Game is finished now though and word is that its tremendous with lots of grandiose comparisons being thrown about by those playing it (Shadow of the Colossus, Dark Souls, Skyrim, Monster Hunter). Plenty of gameplay footage kicking around now too. Capcom could hopefully have a sleeper hit on their hands with this one.

Edit: Forgot to mention, there's a demo out on Wednesday for it.

It intrigues me. Elements of it look great. And some of it appears to have the usual Japanese game madness that kinda makes me grow lukewarm. The nighttime switch to survival horror, some of the UI, some of the other gameplay systems... I ain't so sure. But then it has stuff like combat that is part DmC, part SOTC, part every good third person actioner.

It's the kind of thing I'll be really eager to watch an extended gameplay video of with some commentary (i.e., I really hope GiantBomb do a huge QL with no Patrick :mrgreen: ), after which it might go onto my 'When I'm working again, buyin it' list.

Dragons Dogma can't come out fast enough. I've had my eye on the game since it was first announced but back then, in its unfinished form, the gaming press seemed disappointingly luke-warm to it. Game is finished now though and word is that its tremendous with lots of grandiose comparisons being thrown about by those playing it (Shadow of the Colossus, Dark Souls, Skyrim, Monster Hunter). Plenty of gameplay footage kicking around now too. Capcom could hopefully have a sleeper hit on their hands with this one.

Edit: Forgot to mention, there's a demo out on Wednesday for it.

That looks so far up my street it's sitting in my living room.

I'm pretty much sorted for the rest of the year.

Games that I have got (or am getting):

The Witcher 2 (360)

Tera (PC)

Diablo 3 (PC)

Borderlands 2 (360)

Gravity Rush (Vita)

Darksiders 2 (360)

Max Payne 3 (360)

Bioshock (Vita)

I think that lot should keep me more than occupied until the year is out. There may be a few others that will pop into that list aswell, yet those are the main ones.

Kingdoms of Amalur and ME3 started the year off well. If those games mentioned above come anywhere near then it's going to be one hell of a gaming year.

BioShock Infinite

Darksiders 2

Dark Souls

Borderlands 2

Max Payne 3

Grand Theft Auto V

Crysis 3

Pro Evolution Soccer 2013

Football Manager 2013

Guild Wars 2

Hitman: Absolution

Planetside 2

Alan Wake: American Nightmare

I think that's about it for this year, all of the games are the PC versions if anyone is wondering. Going to be an expensive year as I'm also upgrading my PC again this year, so plenty of monies are leaving my bank account this year. :D

Early word on the Dragon's Dogma demo is not good.

Could be a shifty demo. But if it did turn out the whole game was a bit hobbled in the ways people have said (bizarre controls, odd presentation, etc etc), I would not be surprised.

So it turns out the Dragon's Dogma demo is apparently the one from last years TGS (Sep 2011) that received a luke-warm responce and is running on an older version of the engine. Folk playing final review copies are insisting the demo genuinely isn't representative of the final game. Guess we'll just have to wait on it.

Either way, I shan't be downloading it. I'd much rather wait for the full release and right now, I have far too much other stuff to play (GW2 beta this weekend, woo!)

I played the demo earlier and it wasn't great. It wasn't the greatest combat system and the fights were a bit bland. Also, in the one mission youre in a place with very tight corridors and having a number of NPCs in your party just clutters it up.

I wasn't very impressed.

• 4 weeks later...

For those looking out for Tales of Graces f in the UK

A.jpg

Release date set for 31/08/12, the above is the day one special edition - but without the special edition price tag! Available for pre-order from as little as £35 on Zavvi. A proper, proper decent console RPG. You could almost call it old school in that it plays like most console RPGs from the PS1/PS2 era, and nothing at all like the current gen games.

Cosplay sex?! You will be telling me you are into Yiff forums next. I know there isnt much to do in Nuneaton but blimey!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone else is a PS+ subscriber on here, but shit just got REAL. Here are this months freebies;

Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Chime Super Deluxe

Darksiders

Renegade Ops

Outland

Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD

Infamous 2

Motorstorm Apocalypse

Little Big Planet 2

Fukin A! Whats is even better is I havent played any of them. I liked the first LBP alot, but never got round to buying the second one.

That is a good selection really...

Darksiders is a decent play, especially if you like Zelda - it's basically what would happen if someone decided to set Zelda in a comic book take on the Apocalypse of popular memory.

Warhammer you'll get more out of if you love the franchise but is a half decent, pretty hack/slash/shooter. Gets tedious the longer it goes on though.

Renegade Ops is what happens if you give the guys who made Just Cause free reign to make a twin stick shooter.

Outland is a cool puzzle platformer, I didn't get on with it but it's reasonably rated.

Infamous is rated.

Not so sure about the rest, but you can't complain really. I don't think theres a truly bad title in there.

• 3 weeks later...
Guild Wars 2 release date confirmed for 28th August.

:hooray:

There was another stress test last night and the game really is shaping up into something special.

Can't wait.

Â