Gaming 2012

packoman

Only just realised that the Persona 4 Arena release is the same day as Tales of Graces f EU - in 2 weeks time. I've never been very good at fighting games, but I must have it, just for more Teddie

fanart,persona4,videogames-3040ec5cb9dd6842a79ea3f5d52163a2_h.jpg

• 1 month later...

Dishonored out this week. Looking forward to it, though the studio hardly has a flawless record and I'm not at all sold on the art design (I like the ideas, I'd have preferred it to be just a little further from cartoon-y). But its a modern Deus Ex with Victorian-esque fantasy setting, it has more than a little of the atmosphere of the newer Discworld novels about it.

Fingers crossed it's a good'un.

Dishonored out this week. Looking forward to it, though the studio hardly has a flawless record and I'm not at all sold on the art design (I like the ideas, I'd have preferred it to be just a little further from cartoon-y). But its a modern Deus Ex with Victorian-esque fantasy setting, it has more than a little of the atmosphere of the newer Discworld novels about it.

Did not realise that was out this week, been keeping an eye on it and i have loved what i have seen of it but ill wait to see what the reviews are saying first.

I keep getting a strong City 17 feel from some of the videos and i am sure I read that they had one of the HL2 artists on board but I may have dreamt that :huh:

Just watched a few trailers and I'm not sure what to make of it. The initial trailer tries to say it's Assassins Creed with a twist, but the gameplay I've seen is nothing like it, interesting idea to make it first person too. I'll wait to see what people say about it, could be great though.

Did not realise that was out this week, been keeping an eye on it and i have loved what i have seen of it but ill wait to see what the reviews are saying first.

I keep getting a strong City 17 feel from some of the videos and i am sure I read that they had one of the HL2 artists on board but I may have dreamt that :huh:

They share the same art designer, hence the distinct similarity in some respects of the design - the thing that struck me most was the strider-esque enemies and some of the use of 'metal' in the art design. Interestingly enough I really like the style of HL2 and the obvious lineage there is part of what makes me so disappointed they've gone with such a starkly stylised direction with the games aesthetic, had this had bit of the more realistic HL2 style I'd have been absolutely sold on it in looks alone.

Just watched a few trailers and I'm not sure what to make of it. The initial trailer tries to say it's Assassins Creed with a twist, but the gameplay I've seen is nothing like it, interesting idea to make it first person too. I'll wait to see what people say about it, could be great though.

It seems to be basically Deus Ex, a fairly open first person world with a largely free approach to solving things - go stealthy, go brutal full frontal assault, talk your way out of things, it's up to you, and providing you with tools and upgrade paths to develop your own style. The nod to Assassins Creed is a red herring - the only resemblance is the game features an assassin.

I definitely have my reservations about the game but I also think theres potential for this to be an absolute barn stormer. Won't be for everyone though, Deus Ex wasn't, even if it matches the potential.

And Dishonored has reviewed pretty much universally fantastically, 9s more or less across the board.

Sold.

I would link to the GiantBomb QL but the chap heading it is a terrible presence in any capacity and manages to make the entire thing quite supremely boring.

Yeah I think i'm definitely going to get it on friday, only real negatives I can see are the story isn't anything ground breaking and there is no new game plus to replay all the levels with all the unlocked skills and whatnot. Some of the controls are supposed to be a bit fiddly as well but its all minor gripes and the pro's vastly outweigh the cons. Cant wait for it now.

Edge have given it a 9/10, IGN a 9.2, Eurogamer an 8/10

I like the look of Prison Architect but seems a bit pricey for alpha.

The Video for it is great though.

Great video :) I still play Uplink every now and then. Have never managed to finish it, but got busted on the last mission once.

Similarly to yesterday's Dishonoured reviews, the X-Com 're-imagining' has been getting pretty massive scores too it seems. Loved the original, and played it to death, although I do remember it being quite hard - but that could simply be down to being an idiot child at the time -_-

Have you played the new one? If so, any good?

No, not my thing to be fair. I've seen some comments and some footage though and it appears to be largely as unforgiving and as difficult as it used to be.

How's Dishonored Chindie? I'm thinking of trading some stuff in and picking it up sometime next week. I've seen the GameTrailers review and I'm pretty much sold but just wondered what you thought as you're normally pretty good at telling it like it is.

Watched Indie The Movie (or whatever it was called..) I want FEZ, and maybe SMB. Silly PS3, actually SMB guys said they would have loved to do it on ps3 but initially sony showed no interest and then the contracts with Microsoft and Nintendo excluded them from doing it on PS3 :( Poor chaps

Â