Martin O'Neill

maqroll

As I posted in the other thread. Feel sorry for him or whatever reason it didnt work for him and he may have reached the time when his abilities diminish

Did you also feel sorry for Houllier or McLeish when they were sacked here?

Houllier wasnt sacked.

I feel a bit better about villas chances knowing they're after PDC. Think it'll be a disaster.

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

This is an amazingly inept sacking. 

Think the game was up for O'Neill at Sunderland quite a while ago and they really should have done the deed at the winter window. As it is, they've spent a lot more money and left things perilously late for an incoming manager to turn things round.

MON has looked defeated for quite a while and so have his team.

Funny because it's true:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/mar/31/martin-oneill-failure-sunderland

Martin O'Neill's failure to change cost him his job at Sunderland

While other managers embraced different methods the Northern Irishman stayed true to the tried and tested

Scene One, August 2012: Bistro Romano in Cleadon on the outskirts ofSunderland. Seated at a prime window table, Martin O'Neill is entertaining a small group of national newspaper writers, correcting gaps in their general knowledge along the way.

He waves an arm in the direction of a handsome, stone-built house across the road before explaining that it had once been home to Charles Dickens. Sunderland's former manager clearly knows his Dickens and as some wonderful, frequently Brian Clough-based, anecdotes subsequently reveal, he patently remains in thrall to football.

Nine months into the job of reviving Sunderland, the team he supported as a boy via a transistor radio smuggled into his Northern Irish boarding school, optimism abounds.

Scene Two, December 2012: The Academy of Light, Sunderland's training ground. O'Neill is bristling with barely suppressed anger as, on a dark Monday morning, he questions how a BBC interviewer had the temerity to inquire whether he "doubted himself" following a 3-1 home defeat by Chelsea 48 hours earlier.

Sunderland are struggling. With Reading due on Wearside the next day, O'Neill is in defiant mode. "Not only am I the best man for this job," he says "but I'm actually the only man for the job. I once really doubted myself before I sat my 11-plus, honestly. I didn't know whether I was going to pass or not. But then I was only seven at the time. I did pass."

Reading were beaten 3-0 but, for such an evidently clever man, the 61-year-old had betrayed a strange lack of emotional intelligence. It was arguably a key reason why it all ultimately went so horribly wrong for him on Wearside, culminating in his Saturday night sacking.

It is part of the human condition to question yourself but the Northern Irishman's intransigence perhaps explains why, at a time when the Premier League landscape is fast changing, he struck fairly rigidly to the managerial methods which had served him so well at Leicester City, Celtic and Aston Villa.

While other managers became converts to regular player rotation, frequent changes of system and the experimentation with assorted branches of sport science, including psychology, O'Neill stayed true to the tried and tested.

He was long renowned as a master motivator but, imperceptibly, his touch seemed to desert him. After he masterminded an impressive revival immediately after succeeding Steve Bruce in December 2011, Sunderland finished last season on a poor run.

At the time not too much was read into it. Instead, as £12m was spent on signing Steven Fletcher from Wolverhampton Wanderers and a further £10m on the recruitment of Adam Johnson from Manchester City, hopes of a top-eight finish at the 49,000-capacity, success-starved Stadium of Light were high. Although Fletcher shone, scoring a third of Sunderland's goals until an ankle injury sustained playing for Scotland last month ruled him out for the rest of the season, Johnson has been an unmitigated disaster.

Deployed in wide roles in O'Neill's preferred 4-4-1-1 system, the former England international has lacked the pace to operate as an orthodox winger. Sunderland's next manager could well give serious consideration to relocating Johnson – who often has not looked properly fit – to "the hole" or, like Roberto Mancini at City, using him as an impact substitute.

If Ellis Short, the financier who owns Sunderland and has invested more than £100m in the club since buying it four years ago, had begun harbouring doubts about O'Neill, publicly at least, he remained fiercely protective.

Short had even taken to touring the press room before games. With the owner good-naturedly chiding those who suggested Bruce's successor was "on the brink", such visits were interpreted as unequivocal shows of support for the manager. Perhaps they were but, in one possibly telling mid-winter aside, Short told someone who had tried to second-guess him: "You don't know what I'm really thinking."

Nonetheless the manager, who was already starting to display signs of the world-weary, battle fatigue which increasingly characterised Kevin Keegan's second stint in charge of Newcastle United, was permitted to spend another £9m in January, importing Alfred N'Diaye, a midfielder from Turkey's Bursaspor, and the £5m Swansea City striker Danny Graham. It is too early to judge N'Diaye but Graham has still to score.

Tactics remained, at best, two dimensional. The gameplan seemed to be to absorb pressure before hitting opponents on the break but Sunderland lacked the necessary pace for such a counter-attacking strategy. A worryingly static team, low on inventive, off-the-ball, between-the-lines movement, let alone slick passing, they were clearly suffering from the loss of their catalytic midfield enforcer and captain, Lee Cattermole, to chronic knee trouble.

Without Cattermole, O'Neill lacked an effective dressing room conduit and it also did not help that two summer signings, Louis Saha and James McFadden, proved well past their best and were swiftly released. Meanwhile O'Neill appeared reluctant to offer young players such as Connor Wickham, the £8m striker bought by Bruce, first-team chances and turned prickly when challenged on the subject.

With only Simon Mignolet, the Belgium goalkeeper, in outstanding form, O'Neill's best outfielder was Danny Rose, a left-back loaned from Tottenham. There is a case for the new manager relocating Rose to midfield but, whoever comes in, must cope with a worryingly small squad.

Part of O'Neill's brief was to prune a first-team pool which had become overblown during years of frantic buying and selling on the part of Bruce and Roy Keane but it is possible that, perhaps under pressure from the boardroom, he cut too far too fast.

Fraizer Campbell, sold to Cardiff City in January, and David Meyler and Ahmed Elmohamady, respectively sold and loaned to Hull City, could all have played roles in the fight against a potentially ruinousrelegation. Indeed, on present form Campbell and Meyler are arguably more effective than Graham and N'Diaye, while Elmohamady may have been useful during a campaign in which Craig Gardner has regularly been fielded out of position at right-back.

If O'Neill will claim that his judgments on Meyler and company were far from knee jerk, Short cannot be accused of acting in haste. Yet as the manager's words and body language became incrementally more downbeat and results deteriorated to the point where Sunderland are without a win in eight games, the owner, by now discreetly letting it be known that he was disappointed at getting such poor return for his £100m plus investment, had little choice but to act.

If losing to United was the tipping point, three moments last month will have provoked alarm. First O'Neill declared his squad lacked "real, true quality" and then, when Sunderland announced a £27m loss for the last financial year, he looked utterly uninterested and claimed "not to have seen" the figures. Similarly, when asked for details of a knee operation Cattermole had newly undergone, he said it was "something to do with a tendon". Where had the former law student with the famously forensic mind disappeared to? The only question is whether, with seven games to go, Short has left it too late to save Sunderland from the Championship?

Brilliant article.

The man was backed here with the thick end of £200million quid in 3 seasons. What a wasted opportunity we had.

Yeah it's so annoying that the manager Lerner trusted with all that money was MON. It's truly gutting. 

As I posted in the other thread. Feel sorry for him or whatever reason it didnt work for him and he may have reached the time when his abilities diminish

Did you also feel sorry for Houllier or McLeish when they were sacked here?
Houllier wasnt sacked.

I feel a bit better about villas chances knowing they're after PDC. Think it'll be a disaster.

they said that about the geezer at southampton

FFS  :o MON needed to go but Di Canio is a mental choice.

Could be a masterstroke or a disaster. Chelsea away next...

I don't see how a guy who has links to extreme right wing politics - can possibly survive as a manager in the long term. Sunderland probably know this - but hope that the short term kick up the ass will be enough for them to limp home.

He only needs to equal villas results to keep them up though

FFS  :o MON needed to go but Di Canio is a mental choice.

Could be a masterstroke or a disaster. Chelsea away next...

I don't see how a guy who has links to extreme right wing politics - can possibly survive as a manager in the long term. Sunderland probably know this - but hope that the short term kick up the ass will be enough for them to limp home.

He only needs to equal villas results to keep them up though

How does his political views (which are sensationalised by the media BTW - he isn't extreme and his views are very common in Italy) affect his role as a football manager?

I think it's an alright decision. Okay, Swindon are a couple of leagues lower, but he did a pretty decent job there. I'm fed up of the same old incompetent bastards like McCarthy, Curbishley, Glenn Bastard Roeder being rewarded for failure and constantly getting paid a lot of money to do a shit job. Di Canio may or may not work out, but good on Sunderland for giving a new manager a shot over the same old names.

David Miliband has quit Sunderland's board of directors over this appointment.

What did David Miliband contribute to Sunderland FC during his career as a 'director'?

tumbleweed-on-the-bonneville-salt-john-b

**** him.

Edited by Davkaus

David Miliband has quit Sunderland's board of directors over this appointment.

David Miliband has quit, or David Miliband has quit over the appointment?

He quit politics during the week to be the CEO of a charity in America. It could be related to that rather than di Canio.

Â