Martin O'Neill

maqroll

Hes won 7 Premier league games now not 6.

Hes won 7 in 10 Premier league games.

As McLeish has won 6 in 23.

:oops: :oops:

Thank God for your O'Neill updates.

Quite right, let's have a McLeish update instead.

It's now 6 in 24 cf MON's 7 in 10.

Read what I wrote on the previous page (well 54). I have never stated he was a poor manager. I'm not at all bitter, if anything it's the people who keep bringing up the fact MON wins a game in comparison to our own form who are likely more bitter than I am. I could care less who's in charge of Sunderland. My focus is on Villa.

This.

If anything, those who keep highlighting O'Neill's 'success' at Sunderland are constantly reminding us of how much of a piss poor failure he was at Villa Park.

Piss poor failure at Villa park? REALLY...?

How fans can write this is beyond me. The guy brought us so close to top 4 on 3 seperate occasions...if by Failure you mean not getting us into top 4 but im not sure thats what you meant.

The guy took us from being absolutley nowhere to flirting with the big boys once again, being able to beat anyone on our day (and we did), scoring goals for fun, defended like giants, attendences highly than I can remember and teams fearing playing us....Nobody had done that with us for many many years.... how anyone can say he was a failure either has mental issues or are just deluded beyond belief!

Read what I wrote on the previous page (well 54). I have never stated he was a poor manager. I'm not at all bitter, if anything it's the people who keep bringing up the fact MON wins a game in comparison to our own form who are likely more bitter than I am. I could care less who's in charge of Sunderland. My focus is on Villa.

This.

If anything, those who keep highlighting O'Neill's 'success' at Sunderland are constantly reminding us of how much of a piss poor failure he was at Villa Park.

Piss poor failure at Villa park? REALLY...?

How fans can write this is beyond me. The guy brought us so close to top 4 on 3 seperate occasions...if by Failure you mean not getting us into top 4 but im not sure thats what you meant.

The guy took us from being absolutley nowhere to flirting with the big boys once again, being able to beat anyone on our day (and we did), scoring goals for fun, defended like giants, attendences highly than I can remember and teams fearing playing us....Nobody had done that with us for many many years.... how anyone can say he was a failure either has mental issues or are just deluded beyond belief!

Hmmm, deluded :lol:

O'Neill is consistently used as the reference point for how McLeish is performing, particularly since he elected to continue his role as everyman's Messiah at Sunderland.

Looking at the cold hard facts, McLeish has exactly the same record as O'Neill at the Villa in a shorter space of time.

He hasn't had the club's name engraved on a trophy, and he hasn't made any challenge for the title.

O'Neill had 4 years at it, with the highest level of financial backing of any Villa manager, and failed. No trophies, and no challenge.

If McLeish spends 4 years with us, doesn't win a trophy or challenge for the title, and of course doesn't get us relegated, then he will have 'achieved' exactly the same as O'Neill. If we win something during McLeish's tenure, then he will have surpassed O'Neill.

Brian Little and Ron Atkinson won trophies. Graham Taylor took us within a whisker of the title. These are successful Aston Villa managers, not O'Neill.

Not just good but the best manager we have had at the club in 20 years and likely to get in the next 20 under the clown Lerner, IMO of course
How on Earth is he better than Little or Atkinson? :|

Well Atkinson and Little's teams both faded badly, and in their last seasons they were both struggling in at the wrong end of the table. MON didn't have a trophy, but he was a lot more consistent in the league and improving in points every year.

Looking at the cold hard facts, McLeish has exactly the same record as O'Neill at the Villa in a shorter space of time.

:?:

This doesn't make sense. If it's in a shorter space of time, it can't be exactly the same record, can it?

Also, I haven't noticed McLeish getting three 6th places, buying and bringing on a string of exciting young English players , or getting to an FA Cup final in his time with Villa.

Would I be wrong to conclude the statement I've quoted is just nonsense?

thetress seems just a demented poster who fails to grasp any sense of logic or reality due to his loathing of MON.

MON had faults for sure BTW but again just to make a boring point: -

MON at Sunderland (shitter squad than we have) - 7 wins in 10 Premier league games

McLeish at Villa (with better squad) - 6 wins in 24 Premier league games

These are not hypothetical events - these are COLD HARD FACTS (as you would say) in present time.

Our board have been an utter joke over last 18 months and why you feel the need to play devils advocate to them and their utterly STUPID decisions and seem more focused on imaginaing an alternate reality where MON is to blame for eveything and anything im not sure why.

As for your ridiculous statement that McLeish has same or similar record as MON in Prem :crylaugh::crylaugh::crylaugh:

It is utterly so stupid and demented on any level its utterly laughable on any level

Wake up FFS

:?:

This doesn't make sense. If it's in a shorter space of time, it can't be exactly the same record, can it?

Also, I haven't noticed McLeish getting three 6th places, buying and bringing on a string of exciting young English players , or getting to an FA Cup final in his time with Villa.

Would I be wrong to conclude the statement I've quoted is just nonsense?

Exactly the same record, ergo neither have achieved any success as Aston Villa manager.

Our board have been an utter joke over last 18 months and why you feel the need to play devils advocate to them and their utterly STUPID decisions and seem more focused on imaginaing an alternate reality where MON is to blame for eveything and anything im not sure why.

Once again your love of O'Neill causes you to spout irrational drivel, particularly as i have not blamed O'Neill for anything. If you reference previous postings of mine you will see that i don't blame him for the mess, as he only took what was made available to him.

My only point is a historic one. History has recorded that he was unsuccessful as Aston Villa manager, which means that he failed. If the current manager fails, then history will record exactly the same outcome of his tenure.

The obsessive and constant referencing of a previous manager by way of this thread, and also in the current manager's thread is pointless and pathetic.

He has gone and has nothing to do with Aston Villa any more.

Personally I don't give a shit about O'Neill either way. He can go and win everything with Sunderland as far as I am concerned, but he will still remain an unsuccessful Aston Villa manager.

And Aston Villa is all that I care about.

Exactly the same record, ergo neither have achieved any success as Aston Villa manager.

I guess this depends on how one defines success.

In the context of the posting, history defines success, not any individual's definition

Â