Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

• 2 weeks later...

Urgh. Found out my best friends are splitting after 6 years married. Well the wife has told me today. Husband gets the news on Monday. Love em both to bits but the next few weeks / months are going to properly suck. He is a stubborn guy who will be in denial for a while i think. :( sounds a bit awful but any tips for helping him? Obviously i will "be there" and will try my best to do what i can. But i feel like i should be planning a load of things to do to get him out of the house etc. Is there anything unintentionally dickish to be wary of not doing? Sorry i know il have to just react and judge it on the mood but i owe em loads and im neurotic about letting either of them down.

Well how you handle it depends on the situation. Are they splitting up mutually? or has the wife been topping up her phone at another shop?

They're your best friends, so sit them both down and suggest councelling, a holiday or perhaps moving away together somewhere else.

• Like 1

Yeah my bad Latinas. Where are the Latina communities in London, and what countries specifically?

As for the rest of the UK being shite, that is a whole different debate which I won't go into on this topic, but after living in London for 4 years, London has its downfalls.

Birmingham's got a thriving 'Latin Quarter' by the One Stop shopping centre. Holla at Jose, he'll hook you up.

Ah, sounds good, where I used to get my Latin fix in Birmingham was from the Latinas going to Birmingham Uni. Sadly those days are behind me.

In terms of London well there's quite a few Latin bars and well, I tend to bump into my share in my usual haunts.

Well how you handle it depends on the situation. Are they splitting up mutually? or has the wife been topping up her phone at another shop?

They're your best friends, so sit them both down and suggest councelling, a holiday or perhaps moving away together somewhere else.

Didn't go too bad. friend is good at the whole stoic stiff upper lip stage, still denial I guess. It is amicable ish, in the sense its not a violent split, but he was not expecting it at all. She just loved him but didn't love him in that annoying way. They're going for a trial separation, counselling was suggested, though my friends quite stubborn and he believes all dialogue can be sorted out with her if she's willing to do it. But I think it's a non-starter, but ah well, he seems up for a plenty of distracting drinking sessions. It's one of those awkward ones where they'll both be living together still for a few weeks until she moves out though. But they will be fine in the end my gut tells me.

• Like 1

Need to know how to make my friend see a bit of sense. He's (24) going out with this girl (20) about 15 months now right she has a kid about 4, she told him she got pregnant the first time she ever was a bit naughty, that could be true for all I know, but it was a one night stand and the father is around but not overly concerned about either of the two of them.

So when they started going out last summer she was like a breath of fresh air for him as he'd always no ambition, failed first year in college twice and got lucky the 3rd time, when he met her he got a part time job and got himself into a decent masters course, learned how to drive etc. It's her birthday Christmas Day, and last Stephen's night (Boxing Day for you lot ;) ) he was to come out with us and she was out with her friends, about 12 pm he left us to find her but when he rang her there was no answer, eventually he found her 2 hours later with some 20 year old lad and after he begged her to come home with him, she told him she was going home with the other lad and was going to sleep with him.

So my friend was naturally devastated he had recently told the girl he loved her and was more or less fathering the child. So anyway they didn't real have any communication till New Years Eve, he's working in a hotel so finds getting days like this hard to get off, so she was out in Killarney he's from Abbeydorney (40mins drive) and she rang him at 3:30am and asked would he pick her up so he did, anyway she stayed in his and they'd a long talk and she basically made him believe it was all his fault because he never argues with her and all this. So it's like it's never happened since then, he's very much playing happy families and always buying her shit, we see very little of him as in might see him once every 8 - 10 weeks. He was recently offered a trainee accounting job in Cork and turned it down, because she wanted to move to Killarney & he wanted to drive from Killarney to Cork (80mins drive) every day but the wage he was being offered wouldn't have allowed him to pay for a house for her & her kid to live and commute so he turned it down as "living in cork wasn't an option".

Now it was his birthday Saturday & he handed in his thesis on Friday so he could not have been in better form for a drinking session, one of our very close mutual friends is off to Calgary on Friday so we were kind of having a bit of a low key party for him in one of the lads houses. Tommy (the guy with the gf) said last Monday he wouldn't be able to make it as he was going for a romantic dinner in town for his birthday, by Thursday he told us he'd be there at 7 as his girlfriend was going out with her friends.

So Saturday 7 came, then 8, then 9 and no sign we rang but he wasn't answering then at 9:30 we get a phone call saying he'll be up in a minute & could his girlfriend (who we only met Saturday) & her friends come up as they were thrown out of a house party already, we knew none of them, but of course we just wanted to see him so said no bother. They arrive up, he barely says a word, all 3 of the girls are very drunk and loud and giggling away to themselves, so about 10:30 he said he'll drop them into town and come back up to us, he was driving. Never came back up to us, wouldn't answer his phone, he collected the girlfriend from town about 3:30 and she told him she'd be kissing an Aussie she met all night, but it was just that. He told me this the next day and told me not to tell the rest of the lads as they give him enough shit about her, what do I have to do to make him see sense?

Edited by Folski

Need to know how to make my friend see a bit of sense. He's (24) going out with this girl (20) about 15 months now right she has a kid about 4, she told him she got pregnant the first time she ever was a bit naughty, that could be true for all I know, but it was a one night stand and the father is around but not overly concerned about either of the two of them. So when they started going out last summer she was like a breath of fresh air for him as he'd always no ambition, failed first year in college twice and got lucky the 3rd time, when he met her he got a part time job and got himself into a decent masters course, learned how to drive etc. It's her birthday Christmas Day, and last Stephen's night (Boxing Day for you lot ;) ) he was to come out with us and she was out with her friends, about 12 pm he left us to find her but when he rang her there was no answer, eventually he found her 2 hours later with some 20 year old lad and after he begged her to come home with him, she told him she was going home with the other lad and was going to sleep with him. So my friend was naturally devastated he had recently told the girl he loved her and was more or less fathering the child. So anyway they didn't real have any communication till New Years Eve, he's working in a hotel so finds getting days like this hard to get off, so she was out in Killarney he's from Abbeydorney (40mins drive) and she rang him at 3:30am and asked would he pick her up so he did, anyway she stayed in his and they'd a long talk and she basically made him believe it was all his fault because he never argues with her and all this. So it's like it's never happened since then, he's very much playing happy families and always buying her shit, we see very little of him as in might see him once every 8 - 10 weeks. He was recently offered a trainee accounting job in Cork and turned it down, because she wanted to move to Killarney & he wanted to drive from Killarney to Cork (80mins drive) every day but the wage he was being offered wouldn't have allowed him to pay for a house for her & her kid to live and commute so he turned it down as "living in cork wasn't an option". Now it was his birthday Saturday & he handed in his thesis on Friday so he could not have been in better form for a drinking session, one of our very close mutual friends is off to Calgary on Friday so we were kind of having a bit of a low key party for him in one of the lads houses. Tommy (the guy with the gf) said last Monday he wouldn't be able to make it as he was going for a romantic dinner in town for his birthday, by Thursday he told us he'd be there at 7 as his girlfriend was going out with her friends. So Saturday 7 came, then 8, then 9 and no sign we rang but he wasn't answering then at 9:30 we get a phone call saying he'll be up in a minute & could his girlfriend (who we only met Saturday) & her friends come up as they were thrown out of a house party already, we knew none of them, but of course we just wanted to see him so said no bother. They arrive up, he barely says a word, all 3 of the girls are very drunk and loud and giggling away to themselves, so about 10:30 he said he'll drop them into town and come back up to us, he was driving. Never came back up to us, wouldn't answer his phone, he collected the girlfriend from town about 3:30 and she told him she'd be kissing an Aussie she met all night, but it was just that. He told me this the next day and told me not to tell the rest of the lads as they give him enough shit about her, what do I have to do to make him see sense?

Love is a terrible thing sometimes eh?

Not a lot you can do, if the guy loves his Girlfriend, then all sensible thinking & reason goes out of the window. Which sucks, because he's being taken for a ride and his self esteem must be through the floor.

Edited by Shillzz

Â