Anyone know how Amazon works?

Juju

See, I've beentoying with a Gaggia Classic expresso coffee maker. I first looked a few daysago, and the site was advertisingat £188 (down from rrp of £306).

Now, every day I log in, the price has dropped a little bit further. First it came down to £184.99, and now Amazon are offering it for £175! Does everyone else logging in see the price I see, or do the cookies remeber, and tell Amazon I am still browsing the same item, and drop the price according to some algorithm, to tempt me?

If I keep logging in, will it get cheaper still? Or more expensive, if say, a few sell over the next day or so and so stock levels are lower?

On a couple of occasions I've posted a comment to Amazon complaining that the price was too high. Within a week the prices came down. In one case I bought it at the reduced price, and then it went up again.

Amazon has dynamic prices. They can go down to tempt you if you keep looking at things. They can go up if Amazon is sure you will buy it. On the whole it is an excellent retail experience though.

Also, they are doing a "Black Friday" sale this week. It is an American thing, Black Friday is essentially their version of Boxing Day, but instead of being the first day of the January sales it is the first day of the Xmas shopping season. You will probably find some big savings, especially on the lightning sales (limited time deals, on the front page)

I've been eying the Black Friday deals like a hawk this week.

So far I've never quite been able to justify the purchase though, even when it's something I'm kinda interested in and at a great price.

Also, I always say this with regards Amazon... but I still can't get over how pretty much the retail website on the net is still such a mess.

Cheers Laura - Since sunday when they had 10 available, they now have 8. And on refreshing my browser this evening, having left the pc on with the product in a browsing window, it's dropped 3p today - So it's clearly trying to tempt me.... 3p suggests as being such an odd figure that Amazon is collecting my browsing habits rather than reacting to stock level generally.

Thats got to leave the High St for dead. Theonly issue I have is, that when we are all buying on Amazon, and the High St is dead - who will be working to afford Amazon products, and how will we know what there is to buy as there willbe no more shops?

So If I order tonight, are the chances this "Black Friday" (who is no longer represented by the Mayor of Kildare?) will drop the price further, and tomorrow after I've paid, it's £150 or something? Or can you see in advance what the BF offers are?

As far as I understand it you can look at the prices in advance, they have a tab on the homepage. But I don't know if tomorrow has the best deals because it's friday as they've had 'black friday week' all week.

• 11 years later...

Amazon seem to have stopped support for their shopping app on Android tablet. 

Open the app and it just points you to the website. 

No other Amazon app is on the app store. 

Why would they do this? Surely millions of their customers shop on tablets?? 

When you search for an Amazon app the first result is for Temu, the Chinese version of it so seems like a great way to hemorrhage customers to your new rival. 

Edited by sidcow

20 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Amazon seem to have stopped support for their shopping app on Android tablet. 

Open the app and it just points you to the website. 

No other Amazon app is on the app store. 

Why would they do this? Surely millions of their customers shop on tablets?? 

When you search for an Amazon app the first result is for Temu, the Chinese version of it so seems like a great way to hemorrhage customers to your new rival. 

Nah, somethings gone wrong with your phone.  

Amazon still works fine on Android.

• Like 1

Are you searching in the official Google Play app store or some custom shop from Samsung or whatever manufacturer makes your tablet @sidcow? What device?

They've certainly not globally stopped supporting Android tablets - they have their own. 

On 23/11/2011 at 11:26, mjmooney said:

On a couple of occasions I've posted a comment to Amazon complaining that the price was too high. Within a week the prices came down. In one case I bought it at the reduced price, and then it went up again.

Who messages a huge corporation telling them their prices are too high?

Jeff must have personally knocked the price down on the back of them tbf

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Who messages a huge corporation telling them their prices are too high?

Jeff must have personally knocked the price down on the back of them tbf

I don’t seem to remember Amazon being quite the corporate monolith they now are 12 years ago

In the early days they really did operate differently

25 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Are you searching in the official Google Play app store or some custom shop from Samsung or whatever manufacturer makes your tablet @sidcow? What device?

They've certainly not globally stopped supporting Android tablets - they have their own. 

It's a 2016 galaxy tab A

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

I don’t seem to remember Amazon being quite the corporate monolith they now are 12 years ago

In the early days they really did operate differently

They were a long way from being the world-leading juggernaut that they are now, but they still had a market cap in the ball park of Coca Cola, BAE and Volvo, it was a very odd thing to do :D 

Â