Greatest British Plane ever

PauloBarnesi

Spitfire. No debate

Au contraire! Whilst I'm not old enough to remember, from what I've read and been told by older family members, the Hurricane was the better aircraft. The Spitfire was better looking and achieved many high profile successes but the Hurricane was the real hero of WWII.

CI, if only you had typed a finishing full stop or typed 'Period', I might have been convinced that it was beyond debate. :winkold:

Spitfire for me.

The so nearly, yet so far category goes to the ill fated de Havilland 106 Comet. Although it was a huge leap forward in aircraft design, with beautiful lines, it was an unmitigated failure due to too much cost cutting in production.

NB I learnt all that from TV, I'm not an aircraft boffin, my information might be wrong.

pc08_mk1_galyp2.jpg

The Hurricane wasn’t necessarily better; it was just available in larger numbers during the Battle of Britain and therefore arguably the real victor of that battle. No denying the Spitfire was a better looking aircraft. Anyway the Mosquito was a brilliant aircraft; the best in class by a country mile.

Spitfire. No debate

Au contraire! Whilst I'm not old enough to remember, from what I've read and been told by older family members, the Hurricane was the better aircraft. The Spitfire was better looking and achieved many high profile successes but the Hurricane was the real hero of WWII.

CI, if only you had typed a finishing full stop or typed 'Period', I might have been convinced that it was beyond debate. :winkold:

Both did their job, the Spitfire was slightly faster, had a faster rate of climb and a higher ceiling than the Hurricane, but where the Hurricane won out was the time on the ground, being a wooden framed, fabric covered aircraft meant it was quicker to turn around on the ground and easier to patch up than the all metal Spitfire. But they performed different roles by and large, the Hurricanes went after the bombers whilst the Spitfire went after the fighters at higher altitude, they complimented each other

Spitfire for me.

The so nearly, yet so far category goes to the ill fated de Havilland 106 Comet. Although it was a huge leap forward in aircraft design, with beautiful lines, it was an unmitigated failure due to too much cost cutting in production.

NB I learnt all that from TV, I'm not an aircraft boffin, my information might be wrong.

pc08_mk1_galyp2.jpg

Beautiful plane, to this day, and in many respects ahead of its time. Shame the square windows made it fall out of the sky.

Left field suggestion, the Gloster Meteor. Our first jet, one of the first jets (sadly the stupidity of the top brass meant Whittles original idea for the jet was overlooked and meant the Germans got the first one flying IIRC), it didnt actually do that much operationally, shot down V1s for a while late in the war, but it was an important step for jet aviation.

Spitfire. No debate

Both did their job, the Spitfire was slightly faster, had a faster rate of climb and a higher ceiling than the Hurricane, but where the Hurricane won out was the time on the ground, being a wooden framed, fabric covered aircraft meant it was quicker to turn around on the ground and easier to patch up than the all metal Spitfire. But they performed different roles by and large, the Hurricanes went after the bombers whilst the Spitfire went after the fighters at higher altitude, they complimented each other

Well balanced bickster. As bombers did much more damage than fighters it is understandable why many feel that the Hurricane was an unsung hero whilst the Spitfire gained glory in dogfights which were seen as more glamorous. It seems there was a debate past the obvious Spitfire.

So many - Lancaster, Short Stirling, Vulcan bombers to name a few.

But it was the De Haviland Mosquito for me personally - no-one had a fighter/bomber quite like it: light, fast, manuoeverable (sp), with excellent firepower, and was quite underrated when compared to the fighters around at the time.

In global terms, it was the Spitfire that caught the imagination, and was comfortably the best of British.

In 1940 I could at least fly as far as Glasgow in most of my aircraft, but not now! It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops. After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked.

IMO the quote is fabricated as its from Wikipedia, but it made me chuckle.

633 Squadron Supposedly where George Lucas stole the idea for the Death Star Attack!

Mosquito_B-MkXVI_350.jpg

Two pages and not a single mention of the Lightning? The only Mach 2 fighter that's British through and through? For shame, people!

lgtvert..jpg

My Dad got to go up in one when he was at Coltishall, said it's the closest he's ever come to shitting his pants in his adult life.

Â