Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

And they say England fans are deluded...

Tbf we're not saying Ireland will win the EC because of some assumed superiority, we're just talking up our chances to get out of the group, it'll be tough but doable imo.

You watched much of the Irish team lately per chance?....

I can't speak for Mantis, but if England were handed a group with the Champions of the previous 3 tournements and talked about getting through, we'd certainly get laughed down. But there's no problem with hoping, I just think Ireland will do very well to get a point.

I expect Dunne to be back for tournament, have seen nothing to say he will be out. WOuld be major headlines here and a disaster on personal level after his Moscow performance

• 1 month later...

Squad for Euros

no surprises but McCarthy out for family reasons

Ireland squad: Given, Westwood, Forde, Dunne, O’Shea, St.Ledger, O’Dea, Ward, Kelly, Foley, Whelan, Gibson, Andrews, Fahey, Duff, McGeady, Hunt, McClean, Keane, Doyle, Cox, Long, Walters.

Standby: Randolph, McShane, Green, Coleman, Keogh

• 3 weeks later...

Good workout in the sunshine against the Bosnian-Herzegovinians. McGeady looked lively, as did Walters. I was less impressed with Gibson but he seems to have won plaudits.

All in all its all good and I'm feeling confident going into the Euro's, especially with a cloud over the dodgy Italians.

Highlight of the day was after the game and leaving the ground then who should cross my path? why it was GOD himself! a cry of 'up the Villa' was met with a smile and a wave of the hand.

What a legend!

National squads go through phases. The Irish squad at the moment is about as settled as a squad can be. It is quite an old squad and this will be the last tourney for a lot of them, but it's a squad that you don't change that much. Clark simply hasn't been involved enough either with Villa or with Ireland in order to break into the national side. His chance will come. Maybe he's already better than some that are there. But Trap's approach (and I agree with it) is that this is no time to be bringing someone in that you don't know what you'll get from them compared to who is already there. Trap knows his players inside out. He knows what he'll get from them and they know what he expects from them. That's one of our main strengths going into the competition. Great spirit in the camp, a 13 game unbeaten run and about as settled a side as you could hope to have. Perfect for a finals tournament.

We will do ourselves justice. We're not going in crippled with injuries. The squad is fully representative of what we've got at our disposal and there are no obvious reasons as to why we won't do what we're capable of. Basically we're going in to this in the best condition that we could be - by that I mean all aspects of preparation.

Green's not in the squad and he's a reserve for the same reason that Clark isn't. Trap likes Green because he knows what he'll get from him and he was used at times in the qualifiers. I don't rate Green but Trap is being consistent with who he picks and why.

Ah right, Fahey. Well there ya go. Trap brings in someone he knows well. As limited as Green is, he probably won't be asked to do anything he can't do :)

Â