Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

Ciaran Clark admits he is baffled by his continued omission from the Republic of Ireland squad, even though he is one of only two Premier League centre-back available to boss Giovanni Trapattoni.

The under-fire Trapattoni opted to play FC Toronto's Darren O'Dea and Leicester's Sean St Ledger in Friday night's game against Kazakhstan, insisting he has "enough players in the position Clark plays" not to require his services.

Some in Ireland have suggested Trapattoni's comments point to a theory that the veteran coach believes Clark is a full-back and not a central defender, but the dignified Villa first team regular insists he is ready to fight for his place.

"I have to be honest and say I have no idea what is happening for me with Ireland because the manager and his staff seemed very keen to get me on board at the start and now nothing seems to be happening for me," says Clark.

"There are not too many Irish centre-backs playing in the Premier League at the moment, so you would think that would stand me in good stead, but the manager is picking other people at the moment and I have no idea what I need to do to get back in.

"I have not spoken to the manager or any of his staff about what I need to do to catch their eye or anything like that, so all I can do is continue to work hard at Villa and hopefully the situation improves for me with Ireland.

"I missed out on selection for Euro 2012 and then the manager picked some new players for the friendly last month and I wasn't involved in that either, which was obviously disappointing, but I have to believe my chance will come if I continue to work hard with Villa.

"With some of the more experienced players calling time on their international careers and a few new lads getting chances, it gives me hope that I could get in the mix if we qualify for the World Cup finals in a couple of years' time. That's the ultimate dream for anyone."

Clark flummoxed by Ireland snub

It's a shame Clark isn't getting a call up for the friendly

Clark is only a regular for 3 league games. It's not like he's been banging the door down for selection for ages. I can't see what he can currently be too upset about. I would expect that he will NOW get into the squad because he's a Villa regular. But he hasn't been to now so he didn't get in. That's fair enough in my book. Now of course it is Trapattoni we're talking about so I wouldn't dare assume common sense will prevail. But I don't agree with Clark that his omission has been baffling. It's been fairly obvious to me.

I've been watching ROI all my life, I love them of course. I remember great moments like O'Leary (yes him!) scoring against Timofte in 1990, Robbie Keane's last gasp goal against the Germans in 2002 but I must say, watching Ireland play these days is actually a chore. We are diabolical. I know we're limited in terms of talent and Trap can only use what's at his disposal but do we have to play like that? A team with absolutely no clue whatsoever. Nothing against Trap, he's one of the most successful managers in the game, he's won nearly everything and he got us to a major tournament for the first time in 10 years but that Kazakhstan games ranks up there with the 0-0 with Liechtenstein and he needs to mix it up a bit. I can't see any positives in the team, our forwards are gank, our defence is marshalled by Sean St Ledger and John O'Shea and our midfield, oh my Christ. Woeful. We need Stephen Ireland, McCarthy, McClean all playing regularly (I hear S Ireland is up for a return) and if we can get the likes of Clark in as well then the future for Irish football may not be so eye-gougingly atrocious. I was keeping tabs on the St Pats score on Friday night too and it's sad really when you have the national team playing AND the Irish club sides all playing on the same night.

I think I'll give the friendly against Oman at Craven Cottage a miss tonight though and do some gardening.

Just on Sean St. Ledger. He has done very well for Ireland and fully deserves his place in the side. I have no qualms about him alongside Dunne. Based on his Irish performances, I can't understand how a Premier League side hasn't bought him at this stage. Perhaps; a bit like Dunne; he saves his best performances for his national side. I dunno.

Hell of a win last night for the Irish U21 side away to Italy. Won 4-2 including this peach from Arsenal's Conor Henderson. Granted, it was a dead rubber as Italy had won the group and we were already out, but Italians have pride in their football and won't have wanted a hiding like that in their own backyard. It at least bodes well for the next generation of player coming through.

Top 10 facts about tonight's opponents, Oman

oman.jpeg

[*:6de076c800] Oman is approximately 3.5 times the size of Ireland. That mean you could fit 41 Corks or 195 Leitrims into Oman.
    [*:6de076c800] Oman is an absolute monarchy with the Sultan of Oman holding almost all the power. The Parliament only has a small amount of authority. This is sort of like the relationship Ireland had with the church for many years.
    [*:6de076c800] The country got its name from the two Ballymena folk who discovered it – they thought they were in India and O-man were their first words when hearing the bad news*
    [*:6de076c800] Wigan goalkeeper Ali Al-Habsi is their only European based player. He’s like their Shay Given expcept he’s not retired like our Shay Given.
    [*:6de076c800] Oman is ranked at no. 93 in FIFA’s world rankings. However, as Brazil are currently ranked at no. 12 these rankings are absurd.
    [*:6de076c800] They have never qualified for a world cup and have only payed in two Asian Cups, 2004 and 2007.
    [*:6de076c800] The capital of Oman is Muscat. It was named after former Wolves football Kevin Muscat who is a national hero in the country.*
    [*:6de076c800] Oman won the 2009 Gulf Cup of Nations, which is a lot more than Ireland have won lately, unless you count the Carling Nations Cup.
    [*:6de076c800] The population of Oman is 2.8 million. 2.7 million of these are better at football than Paul McShane.
    [*:6de076c800] The national dress of Oman is an ankle-length, collarless gown with long sleeves called a dishdasha. It was first introduced to the country when Jeff Kenna wore it during a holiday there in 1996.*

*Not true

Personally I think it's time for Trap to go. We're to much of a small nation to have a manager who falls out with a lot of our up and coming player base.

McCarthy untill recently, Coleman until recently who has been criminally over looked for most of the games, McLean, our own Clark, Gibson and probably a few others.

Personally I think it's time for Trap to go. We're to much of a small nation to have a manager who falls out with a lot of our up and coming player base.

McCarthy untill recently, Coleman until recently who has been criminally over looked for most of the games, McLean, our own Clark, Gibson and probably a few others.

Would you agree with the argument that the current crop of Irish players are simply not good enough and that even if Ferguson and Mourinho were in charge of Ireland they still would not do anything more then Trap?

Â