Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

Italy were impressive in their qualifying campaign and have many good young hungry players coming through. I predict they will be 2nd in the group.

they werent really that impressive. they scraped a lot of victories in their group especially vs Estonia and Slovenia. they are not the force they were, not saying Ireland will beat them but they are not to be feared

Plus we have Trappatoni who probably knows more about the Italian players than they know about themselves ;)

No. Italy are not the giants of football that they once were, but they still have a better team than Ireland

but we were within minutes of beating them in last campaign and our B team gave them a beating in Belgium in the summer

That last campaign was 2009, we are now in 2012. Look how good Villa were in 2009, challenging Arsenal for 4th place. Italy were impressive in their qualifying campaign and have many good young hungry players coming through. I predict they will be 2nd in the group.

And because a team beats someone else in a one off game, it does not mean they are better.

But they lost at home last night to the USA! on paper the Italians might have a better team but I'd be quite confident given our most recent meetings with them of getting a good result.

However knowing the Irish, we'll probably lose to Croatia, draw against Italy and beat the Spaniards.

And they say England fans are deluded...

Tbf we're not saying Ireland will win the EC because of some assumed superiority, we're just talking up our chances to get out of the group, it'll be tough but doable imo.

You watched much of the Irish team lately per chance?....

And they say England fans are deluded...

Tbf we're not saying Ireland will win the EC because of some assumed superiority, we're just talking up our chances to get out of the group, it'll be tough but doable imo.

I think Ireland are being overrated and Italy vastly underrated.

You watched much of the Irish team lately per chance?....
Yep, I watch Villa quite regularly as a matter of fact. :P

ROI can be third in that group. They are better than Croatia.

On paper?

Modric begs to differ. Kranjcar, Srna etc as well.

Overall the Ireland team is slightly better. Croatia came 2nd in their group to the mighty Greece. Heavily beaten at home by Sweden yesterday, and I think defensively they are quite poor. But lets wait until summer, it is the first game of the group.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to know from people who actually have knowledge of the Irish team what are their chances of going to Brazil 14. They have Germany and Sweden in their group. Will the golden oldies, Duff, Keane, Given and Dunne retire after the Euros. Are the young players coming through good enough?

think players will stay on and our challengers for play-offs are Sweden who havent looked great in last few games i saw them bar Holland match.

youth of long, mclean, pilkington, mccarthy and coleman are good but never given a chance

• 2 weeks later...

Will it only be one?

Given is a definite.

Bent could still be fit in time.

Gabby has an outside chance of making it too.

But yeah, I guess that's it unless someone gets a real shock call up.

It will only be one.

Gabby and Bent wont be going. I can almost guarantee it. Though Bent would have been in if it was not for his unfortunate injury. Gabby was never really a real contender. Too many guys ahead of him.

It's unlikely, but if Gabby has a good end to the season then I'd say he has a chance.

Also depends if Pearce is still in charge.

But yes, Given is probably going to be the only one.

I saw a picture on the official site a month ago of the clubs Irish contingent. There were about 11 players on it. Dunne, Given, Ireland, Keane, Clark and a few others. Clark has 3 caps for Ireland, maybe a very outside chance.

Â