Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

manager has confirmed Dunne is staying on, of the 4 veterans we dont have replacements for Dunne and Duff. Given and Keane can be replaced especially Keane, not that they are at their level but Westwood is a decent enough replacement

• 2 weeks later...

Seen something during the week about the younger lads are starting to pull out of selection of the squad ie gibson .....and the fact that given never told trapp or tar-thingy he was going to quit ...seems a few players are tired of trapp

And on that note, an excellent article on The Guardian. Not too long either.

Giovanni Trapattoni is changing Ireland – but only when he is forced to | Paul Doyle"]james-mccarthy-008.jpg

The pace of the Republic of Ireland's evolution after Euro 2012 thrashings is painfully slow as the manager refuses to introduce much-needed fresh talent for the World Cup qualifiers

For too long the Republic of Ireland have behaved like Stoke City's idiot twin. During his four-year reign Giovanni Trapattoni has ordered Ireland to play like Tony Pulis's team despite having more creativity at his disposal and less power. There have been a few moments when that description didn't fit – a couple of good friendly wins and, most famously, the draw in Paris in the 2010 World Cup play-off, when Ireland played slickly only for the luck that had enabled them to make it that far to suddenly defect to the French– but overall Trapattoni's tenure has been characterised by double-barrelled perverseness: the manager persisting with tactics that make Ireland look worse than they actually are, and results contriving to make the manager's tactics appear better than they actually are. Until Euro 2012, that is. There the unsustainable pattern collapsed and Ireland copped three overdue thrashings, leaving Trapattoni's instructions looking as inspired as Clint Eastwood's chat with a chair.

Stoke, of course, have given notice that they intend to add more nuance to their playing style, with Pulis recently buying some scheming central midfielders. Trapattoni, aware of the rising despair at his dogmatism, has hinted at a fresh approach too. He even gave a belated first start to James McCarthy during the August friendly in Serbia and the artful Wigan player will make his competitive debut when Ireland kick off their World Cup campaign in Kazakhstan on Friday.

But there is still no reason to believe that the 73-year-old is serious about changing. A wasted campaign looms.

The only changes that have been made have been forced on the manager.

Shay Given retired from international football after the European Championship confirmed what the qualifiers had suggested: that a keeper who for years served his country superbly has become dodgy. Paul Lambert has now dropped Given at Aston Villa: would Trapattoni have done so at Ireland? Probably not – after all, Robbie Keane, who looked similarly obsolete at the Euros, is set to start in Kazakhstan. Never mind the fact that Shane Long has begun the season with West Bromwich Albion in fine form: Keane has excelled in the increasingly distant past and will therefore be accommodated until he adjourns to a nursing home (go on, crack a gag about the MLS if you must).

Simon Cox could also play up front – but he looks like being deployed in Kazakhstan wide on the right. And with the left wing reportedly going to be entrusted to Aiden McGeady again, James McClean looks like being condemned to his customary place on the bench. Anthony Pilkington, meanwhile, will be sitting in Norwich shaking his head in bewilderment, possibly alongside Wes Hoolahan. As for the defence, apparently Trapattoni is going to keep faith with Stephen Ward at left-back. Yes, really.

Bearing all that in mind, it is hard not to suspect that the only reason McCarthy is to get a game in Kazakhstan is because Keith Andrews is suspended. OK, it's an evolution of sorts that Trapattoni didn't turn to someone such as Paul Green instead, but Trap has hardly been transformed. He has made gestures at sophistication before, particularly after the 0-0 miracle in Moscow when he hinted that he would amend his deeply simplistic 4-4-2 that offers the freedom of central midfield to any opponents who are more cunning and nimble than (the often outnumbered) Whelan and Andrews. But he carried on regardless. So unless McCarthy metamorphoses into Lionel Messi in Astana, then chances are that Andrews will return as soon as possible, leaving McCarthy to share the dismay of Darren Gibson and the many other frustrated players on the fringes.

This is difficult. Whelan, Andrews, Ward … these are hugely likable players, with decent amounts of ability and tremendous attitudes. They always give their best. But their best is not the best that Ireland has to offer. The alternatives are not world beaters but Gibson, McCarthy, Hoolahan, Long, Marc Wilson, Seamus Coleman and so on all have enough promise to suggest they could give Ireland a new dimension.

Having handed Trap a new two-year contract earlier this year, the Football Association of Ireland could not afford to sack the manager even if they wanted to, which they probably don't as the head, John Delaney, still seems star-struck by him. So Ireland's route to Brazil is set to be complicated by Germany, Sweden, Austria, Kazakhstan, the Faroe Islands and one narrow-minded Italian.

LOL at how this thread went oh so quite around the time the team were getting their arses handed to them in June.

Anyway the knives are out for Trap, the wannabee fleet streeters and jaded former pro's who make up the Ireland team press corps have already made up their minds and want him out. **** 'em I say.

I know nothing about K-stan, wtf are they even doing in the European WC qualifiers anyway? They border Mongolia and China FFS!

Psst, this thread went quiet because there were dedicated Euro 2012 threads discussing the groups and the matches as they happened. Ireland chat just went elsewhere, it didn't go quite(sic).

And I've been saying since the Euros that Trap has done his job. He gave us back respectability and qualified us for a finals tournament, but with the old guard retiring and the new guard coming in, we need a new modern manager who can utilise them properly. Trap won't learn new tricks and he is afraid to blood the new players, only doing so when forced to as the article above says. I suppose you could say the knives are out given the amount of people now saying the same thing. But I don't think it's particularly a new thing. I just think it took some a while to come around to it and now it makes sense to them. It was obvious that keeping Trap on for the WC qualifiers would be a mistake, but we've done it now so we best hope he surprises us.

And Kazakhstan is in Europe because it is ex-Russian. Russia is in Europe. I'd like to know why Israel is in the European qualifiers but that's another discussion. And I kind of already know the answer anyway* :)

* cuz no-one else will have them.

Psst, this thread went quiet because there were dedicated Euro 2012 threads discussing the groups and the matches as they happened. Ireland chat just went elsewhere, it didn't go quite(sic).

Yeah sorry 'bout that, I remember now the group specific threads.

And I've been saying since the Euros that Trap has done his job. He gave us back respectability and qualified us for a finals tournament, but with the old guard retiring and the new guard coming in, we need a new modern manager who can utilise them properly. Trap won't learn new tricks and he is afraid to blood the new players, only doing so when forced to as the article above says. I suppose you could say the knives are out given the amount of people now saying the same thing. But I don't think it's particularly a new thing. I just think it took some a while to come around to it and now it makes sense to them. It was obvious that keeping Trap on for the WC qualifiers would be a mistake, but we've done it now so we best hope he surprises us.

I'd disagree with your take on it BOF. I don't rate the new crop much higher then what's there already. As stultifying as Trap's system and tactics are, I'd rather stick with the tried and trusted then mix it up again with a new manager and all the unpredictably that can bring.

The only exception I'd make to that would be seeing the promotion of Tardelli as manager if the Germany/Sweden games go awry.

And Kazakhstan is in Europe because it is ex-Russian. Russia is in Europe. I'd like to know why Israel is in the European qualifiers but that's another discussion. And I kind of already know the answer anyway* :)

* cuz no-one else will have them.

Nah it's not becuase they were in the USSR, if that were the case we'd have the likes of Turkmenistan & Uzbekistan in the Euro's. OTB had Jon Wilson on last night who said that they're in UEFA as the Russians wanted them in there and the Kazakhs wanted to leave Asia to play a higher standard of football. I think that's bollocks, shur let's have Pakistan and India in the Euro's as well if that's the case.

Call me old fashioned but let's leave the Euro qualifiers to teams actually from Europe, fawk Isreal and the old soviet republics.

I'd disagree with your take on it BOF. I don't rate the new crop much higher then what's there already. As stultifying as Trap's system and tactics are, I'd rather stick with the tried and trusted then mix it up again with a new manager and all the unpredictably that can bring.
Even if you don't rate them much higher, you do rate them higher and surely you see that the new crop are the future simply by being younger. So rather than stick with an ageing crop that you rate lower, just go with the new ones and try to build. This is all I'm saying and it's precisely what we're very reluctant to do. And it'll end in failure.

Â