How much is Gabby worth ?

walesavfc

I agree Gabby is one of the few players who you can guarantee will give 100%. Under a decent manager and utilised he'd be a top prem striker.

Too often he is like Bent left on his own isolated marked by two players. Get mcleish out of our club, I'm sick of him ruining our attacking play. We used to give out hammerings under O'neil, when was the last time we won by more than a goal?

Mcleish is so interested in not losing he puts all the pressure on the back 4 and we still concede.

Don't blame the monkeys, blame the organ grinder

Gabby has been brilliant at times this season. He is a Villa fan. He is probably carrying a knock. I can't believe some of the fickleness on display, e.g. in the Weimann thread. And I do think he offers something other than pace, even if he's not nearly as good a player without it.

Apart from anything else, I believe a club like Aston Villa needs to have fans in the dressing room. We had Berger advising our players to move to Liverpool ffs - I bet that didn't happen within earshot of Gabby.

I agree on most of what's being said about his performance yesterday, but I thought he did a good job receiving, holding up, and laying off the ball compared to Bent. He helped us retaining possession. Does anyone agree on this or am I completely off here?

I'm convinced our best performances this season have come when Gabby has played through the middle and Bent hasn't been on the pitch. While he might not score, his hold up play is superb, he still has the pace to stretch defences and has enough skill and a good enough touch to bring other players into the game.

I'm convinced our best performances this season have come when Gabby has played through the middle and Bent hasn't been on the pitch. While he might not score, his hold up play is superb, he still has the pace to stretch defences and has enough skill and a good enough touch to bring other players into the game.

So what do you do? Not play a 24 million pound striker because his hold up play is not as good..

So what do you do? Not play a 24 million pound striker because his hold up play is not as good..

well if it's detrimental to the team if he does play, i don't see how we can keep him. when we had a midfield strong enough to have just two through the middle and still win a good share of the ball and when we had to wide players that got to the bylines and whipped balls into the box, i was all for Bent, the fact is we can no longer afford passengers in our team and all too often Bent goes missing.

well if it's detrimental to the team if he does play, i don't see how we can keep him. when we had a midfield strong enough to have just two through the middle and still win a good share of the ball and when we had to wide players that got to the bylines and whipped balls into the box, i was all for Bent, the fact is we can no longer afford passengers in our team and all too often Bent goes missing.

But I remember a game were bent was tracking back into his own penalty box, Gave away a foul.. But still shows his determination..Id just be really annoyed if we sold him to another club, and he started banging in the goals, whilst playing up front on his own. I mean Bent scored plenty of goals under houllier. I think it would be better to set the team up around supply to darren bent, rather than this defensive tactic where any striker in the world would sruggle.

Odd that some are criticising Gabby's vision and saying he is aone trick pony, that is just incorrect. Did they not see his vision for the pass to Hutton in the build-up to our goal against Fulham? He receives the ball with his back to goal and turns to play in Hutton on the overlap...

i would rather have bent up front on his own than gabby.

i am sure 9 times out of 10 bent would have buried the chance gabby had on saturday

Agreed.

Couldnt disagree more. Bent is anything but clinicle.

Gabby is more valueable to Villa than Darren Bent is imo. I would keep Gabby over Bent everytime.

lets not forget it was on Gabby's weaker foot.

Gabby is more valueable to Villa than Darren Bent is imo. I would keep Gabby over Bent everytime.

I think Bent is clinical. Far more clinical than Gabby. Whatever about their respective worth to the club, I don't know. I'd like to think Bent is more valuable. I also don't think Bent has a particularly weak foot unlike Gabby, which means it doesn't matter how it falls to Bent. There's a good chance he'll take it. You've gotta admit, when trying to espouse the value of a striker it rings slightly hollow to cite a weak foot as some form of defence :)

i would rather have bent up front on his own than gabby.

i am sure 9 times out of 10 bent would have buried the chance gabby had on saturday

Agreed.

Yeah but i still think if you gave Gabby 100 shots in the area on goal, and you gave bent 100 shots in the same position Bent would score more IMO.. yes it is true bent does need about 3 chances a game usually, but in terms of finishing, Bent is better hands down.. Gabby is more of a winger, because of his blinding pace.. he kept drifting over to the wing, and when Ireland was looking the pass it beyond the CB's there was no one there, because gabby drifts.

Â