How much is Gabby worth ?

walesavfc

Couldnt disagree more. Bent is anything but clinicle.

Gabby is more valueable to Villa than Darren Bent is imo. I would keep Gabby over Bent everytime.

lets not forget it was on Gabby's weaker foot.

I think Bent is clinical. Far more clinical than Gabby. Whatever about their respective worth to the club, I don't know. I'd like to think Bent is more valuable. I also don't think Bent has a particularly weak foot unlike Gabby, which means it doesn't matter how it falls to Bent. There's a good chance he'll take it. You've gotta admit, when trying to espouse the value of a striker it rings slightly hollow to cite a weak foot as some form of defence :)

Do you really think Bent is clinical Bri? :?

I can think of half a dozen one-on-ones or clear cut chances this season he has failed to convert.

I was just saying that it was on Gabby's weaker foot in responce to people suggesting he should have scored it.

I value a team player greater than a goal poacher who offers very little to the team as a whole.

i would rather have bent up front on his own than gabby.

i am sure 9 times out of 10 bent would have buried the chance gabby had on saturday

Agreed.

Couldnt disagree more. Bent is anything but clinicle.

Gabby is more valueable to Villa than Darren Bent is imo. I would keep Gabby over Bent everytime.

lets not forget it was on Gabby's weaker foot.

Yeah but i still think if you gave Gabby 100 shots in the area on goal, and you gave bent 100 shots in the same position Bent would score more IMO.. yes it is true bent does need about 3 chances a game usually, but in terms of finishing, Bent is better hands down.. Gabby is more of a winger, because of his blinding pace.. he kept drifting over to the wing, and when Ireland was looking the pass it beyond the CB's there was no one there, because gabby drifts.

I honestly think Gabby is more clinical than Bent. Saying that, in a one-on-one, both are 50/50 to convert said chance. As i said before, i think Gabby offers more to the team than Bent.

Who do we miss more when they're not on the park? Gabby or Bent?

I would say Gabby, half the time you dont even know Bent is playing!

I value a team player greater than a goal poacher who offers very little to the team as a whole.
I didn't see the Fulham game but I believe Gabby was terrible. I did see the previous few games and he was every bit as bad in those. If the 2 possible categories were 'Team Player' and 'Goal Poacher' then I suppose there's no choice but to call Gabby a team player because he's certainly not the latter. He's a lazy enigma. We know what he's capable of but we know the flip side too. He can be a stationary liability. Bent hasn't had one of his better seasons but that's hardly surprising given the midfield rotation and lack of service (from the likes of Gabby). But yes, I do think Bent is clinical and definitely way way more so than Gabby.

talk about gabby and not being able to play the lone striker puzzles me, does every1 forget when carew was injured and gabby played the lone striker for 6 games?

Guess what we won all 6, so he must do something right for the team cos now thats 7 times he has been lone striker and we have won them all

talk about gabby and not being able to play the lone striker puzzles me, does every1 forget when carew was injured and gabby played the lone striker for 6 games?

Guess what we won all 6, so he must do something right for the team cos now thats 7 times he has been lone striker and we have won them all

Was actually a spell of 11 games and I believe we won 8, drew 3. (or at very worst, won 7, drew 4)

Also then used for 4 games during the 09-10 season and we won all 4. :)

Was actually a spell of 11 games and I believe we won 8, drew 3. (or at very worst, won 7, drew 4)

so works out in 17 games he has played the lone striker we won 12-13 drew 3-4 lost none ?

So whatever he does has a lone striker must seem to work for us cos that is some record. AM allso not saying i prefer him to bent as the lone striker either but is some record and am not worried he cant carry the line on his own

so works out in 17 games he has played the lone striker we won 12-13 drew 3-4 lost none ?

So whatever he does has a lone striker must seem to work for us cos that is some record. AM allso not saying i prefer him to bent as the lone striker either but is some record and am not worried he cant carry the line on his own

Its an arguement that Gabby is more effective/plays better as a lone striker?

Odd that some are criticising Gabby's vision and saying he is aone trick pony, that is just incorrect. Did they not see his vision for the pass to Hutton in the build-up to our goal against Fulham? He receives the ball with his back to goal and turns to play in Hutton on the overlap...

Yep. A couple of years ago, he wouldn't be able to pull that off. He's really come leaps and bounds football-wise. Don't forget a near identical ball he gave to Hutton leading to Petrov's goal against Bolton.

Let's not rewrite history just because he's injured....loads of times Bent has been up top on his own this season and he's failed to hold the ball and we've been under pressure from that.

But Bent is obviously much more alert when the ball is moving in our box than Gabby who's usually static.

The old chesnut but if you combined the two you'd have one of the best strikers in the league, say Drogba and he wouldn't be playing for us.

Always liked Gabby as he is Villa at heart and i hope to god he's not sold but after this season and the last you couldn't really blame him if he did. Every player reaches a crossroads its where Van Persie is right now at Arsenal. I however DO NOT think he is worth more than Darren Bent i reckon around 8 - 12m Max.

Always liked Gabby as he is Villa at heart and i hope to god he's not sold but after this season and the last you couldn't really blame him if he did. Every player reaches a crossroads its where Van Persie is right now at Arsenal. I however DO NOT think he is worth more than Darren Bent i reckon around 8 - 12m Max.

I think the fact he is villa at heart papers over alot of his flaws. I dont think he is actually a terribly gifted footballer and I dont think he would be missed all that much if he was moved on. He is certainly not worth the 58k he earns each week IMO

I think the fact he is villa at heart papers over alot of his flaws. I dont think he is actually a terribly gifted footballer and I dont think he would be missed all that much if he was moved on. He is certainly not worth the 58k he earns each week IMO

Still shows promise but lets be honest he is not gifted with footballing intelligence and so can only go so far before moving on/being dropped.

58K is awful money to be paying him, he just isn't worth it; let him go I say, I like him and he is useful but he is no world beater and needs to take 6 months to look at his ability to become a better player.

A move might give him that because at Villa he is on easy street with no management pressure to really improve.

My opinion on Gabby has never changed... He’s okay, massively overrated by many villa fans and possibly because he is a local lad. Being a fan of the club you play for and coming up through the youth system certainly adds to allure of a player but for me its not enough to warrant a place in our team/squad over better options.

I do think Gabby has a role to play for us and coming on as an impact player, threatening the tired legs of the opposition defence for the last 20 might be it but if he is on 58k a week then that changes things.

Without doubt in Gabby we have a very quick player who will beat most players in a dash but he shows a lack of intelligence in terms of the passes he picks and the runs he makes. I cant believe there are many that would say Gabby is a great finisher or even a good finisher. He’s scored a few decent goals but not many and id love to see stats on the chances both clear cut and half chances he has wasted against the ones taken.

I think if I was in charge and we could get 6 million for him id be calling the lad into my office for a chat... I really don’t think he adds a great deal to our team and certainly not considering his wage (assuming its correct). Id love for him to come good but I think the best we can hope for is the odd decent few games. I think even for 6 million and 58k wage budget we could bring in someone who added more to the side.

Gabby seems to be going the same way as Julian Joachim and Darius Vassell before him. Possibly needs a move to pep his game up. I know he loves it at Villa but I can't help thinking that McLeish doesn't love him back. Worth? I reckon we'd accept around 6mill, should be looking for around 8mill.

Â