The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

What pisses me off is how other managers at other clubs have gone on poor runs this season and have been sacked for it yet McLeish, who's arguably doing one of the worst jobs of all, looks very secure.

Its no surprise is it. They did the same last season with a manger who had just as bad a record as McLeish (exactly the same in fact).

The board will stick with McLeish till the end of the season at least.

The only way I see him going in the short - medium term is if Randy **** off or we go down.

I wouldn't really compare the two seasons. Last season was quite eventful to say the least and I think any manager would've struggled (although perhaps not to such an extent). We did finish 9th in the end though, which was about right, and even though last season was a poor one we'd still get a win here and there and the performances weren't all bad. We don't even have that now.

This season is slightly different. McLeish was appointed back in June and had a full pre-season and a fair bit of money to bring in some new players. There are no excuses to be where we are now with the squad we have (like last season) but what irks me the most is the overly negative approach to games.

Fact is, when you combine the quality of the football with the results, McLeish is doing the worst job in the league and is extremely lucky to still be in a job. He should've been gone at Christmas.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't really compare the two seasons. Last season was quite eventful to say the least and I think any manager would've struggled (although perhaps not to such an extent).

Lets not forget Houllier had Downing and Young and the best part of 30 mill to spunk in the January window and managed the club for 28 league games achieving 33 points.McLeish after 27 games as an identical record to what Houllier had at the same stage.

In all fairness its comparing two managers who either did or are doing shit jobs. One just had better players and more money to spend whilst doing it.

Lets not forget Houllier had Downing and Young and the best part of 30 mill to spunk in the January window and managed the club for 28 league games achieving 33 points.McLeish after 27 games as an identical record to what Houllier had at the same stage.

Let's not forget McLeish has had Bent since pre season and has kept him isolated for 70% of the games this season.

Let's also not forget McLeish had pre season which the other did not.

Plenty of variables there so comparing both is pointless and quite naive.

With Wolves getting tonked 4-0 at the moment, and making Fulham look like Real Madrid, I think AMc will be safe in his job until the end of the season by default. By this I mean that RL will probably think that the likes of Wolves, Wigan, Blackburn, QPR and Bolton are that bad that they won't overhaul an 8 point (plus massive GD) advantage to send us into the bottom three, so why risk a change.

Having said that, he better be drawing up a shortlist for the day the season finishes and none of this bollocks about not going for someone that's already in a job!

With Wolves getting tonked 4-0 at the moment, and making Fulham look like Real Madrid, I think AMc will be safe in his job until the end of the season by default. By this I mean that RL will probably think that the likes of Wolves, Wigan, Blackburn, QPR and Bolton are that bad that they won't overhaul an 8 point (plus massive GD) advantage to send us into the bottom three, so why risk a change.

Having said that, he better be drawing up a shortlist for the day the season finishes and none of this bollocks about not going for someone that's already in a job!

Whilst I don't want McLeish, surely the example of wolves at the moment will indicate he wont be sacked unti lat least the summer. No Decent manager will leave their position to come to us at this stage of the season.

Houlier did badly because he was trying to change the way we played. Reversing the entire footballing philosophy of the place. He was naive to think he could do it so quickly with some of the dross we've got but at least he tried to do the right thing.

McCleish is doing nothing but grinding out one desparate point at a time using a very limited set of tactics.

If he were to get sacked, would Randy promote Peter Grant to caretaker boss much like the situation at Chelsea?

*Shudders*

Kevin Macdonald I would have thought...

I remember after Houllier went, Gary Mac was asked to stay on as manager for a bit but chose to go!

Whilst I don't want McLeish, surely the example of wolves at the moment will indicate he wont be sacked unti lat least the summer. No Decent manager will leave their position to come to us at this stage of the season.

Exactly. Eck is going nowhere until the season ends. The only saving is grace is that the teams below are pretty rubbish, I believe a few have got to play each other, thus making is pretty hard for 3 of them to overtake us.

That is THE only saving grace however, and RL needs to be making his shortlist now.

Lord knows what that would look like though... :shock: :(

....make that 5-0

here, here.

Although Lerners track record to date is not very good to say the least!!

Exactly. Eck is going nowhere until the season ends. The only saving is grace is that the teams below are pretty rubbish, I believe a few have got to play each other, thus making is pretty hard for 3 of them to overtake us.

That is THE only saving grace however, and RL needs to be making his shortlist now.

Lord knows what that would look like though... :shock: :(

I guess the frontrunner would be Darren Ferguson? He comes highly recommended from Sir Alex...

I wouldn't really compare the two seasons. Last season was quite eventful to say the least and I think any manager would've struggled (although perhaps not to such an extent).

In all fairness its comparing two managers who either did or are doing shit jobs. One just had better players and more money to spend whilst doing it.

Let's not also forget that Houllier didn't have Bent for half a season and only took over in late September after a very turbulent summer for the club. The only signing we made that entire transfer window was Stephen Ireland. Add in the ridiculous injury crisis and it's clear to see that it's more than just a case of Houllier having more money and a better squad.

Oh yeah, and the football wasn't absolutely shit all the time and we actually tried to attack in some games. There were so many games last season where we deserved more than we got. How many times can you say that for this season? If anything it's the opposite.

The only area where McLeish has had it worse is money. Everything else he's had it better or the same.

Â